WHAT MAKES PLASTER TEAR??

Status
Not open for further replies.
This happened to me about 5. years ago. I went through a two week period where the skimming was tearing while i was troweling up. Initially i was blaming the pva but then i went over some pb and the same thing happened. All of a sudden the problem just disappeared.

It was an absolute nightmare. At the time I genuinely thought i was losing it. Luckily, I was working for friends at the time so my rep didn't take a hammering.

To this day, I still don't know what the cause was. I can only imagine it was a bad batch that the local merchants got stuck with.

think kebab boy said it......timing ........ive only ever used wba or bondit for no suction (ie lintels...) backgrounds...pva for the rest nigh on...never tears for me.......

kirk johnstone said:
Barzie said:
Hi all. I HATE it when this happens- get over it in the end, but was wondering if there is any way of stopping it in the first place. What causes it???
:eek:

if it tears early on then its to much suction, if it starts to peel when you are polishing then you aint letting the pva go tacky enough. if it peels on board then you probably aint putting it on thick enough mate

hope this helps ;)
i thjink ur rright iv noticed the thinner u put it on the more it taers when ur usin the finishen trowl on it it never seems to happen on board finish though

i think its drying out too fast mate. i have this problem now and again on really hot days especially when theres a window open.. stop any drafts it its still happening pva let it set then give it another coat

Hi new on here living on the costa del sol now last 7 yrs thankfully i can get multi down here 8),to be sure of not encountering probs further on i brush or roller on a strong mix of pva sand and a little cement one coat of this looks ugly but you can see any misses and be sure that all is sealed and you have good adhesion.Works for me anyhow prefer to spend the time on the prep than kickin s**t out me self half way through when its all gone pete tong (not funny in 40c).

i had the same problem today on a ceiling it kept tearing in 1 area and was proper getting on my nerves lol ended up re skiming the ceiling grrr
would letting the pva dry overnight help me stop it ?#
iv also been told to put some handfulls of kiln sand in my pva etc would this help me stop it tearing etc

it dont happen often but when it does it proper annoying
i wish bond it and gyp prime were cheaper to lol

Hi new on here living on the costa del sol now last 7 yrs thankfully i can get multi down here 8),to be sure of not encountering probs further on i brush or roller on a strong mix of pva sand and a little cement one coat of this looks ugly but you can see any misses and be sure that all is sealed and you have good adhesion.Works for me anyhow prefer to spend the time on the prep than kickin s**t out me self half way through when its all gone pete tong (not funny in 40c).
Iknow this is a year old and i dont know if you are still on the forum but if you are hows things in Spain?

Status
Not open for further replies.