What is this plaster?

Members online

Adrien

Hello all,

I am about to buy a house from the 1930s and before I seal the deal, I'd like to know in which kind of trouble I am getting into because I know a bit about buildings and I can manage the work inside, but not really about plasters. I suspect the building has some concrete external plaster which I understand is bad for the bricks underneath. See for yourself in the pictures.
front.jpeg

back.jpeg

Sorry I don't have better photos.

My wife wants to remove the plaster and show the brickwork (I don't but in this kind of project, you chose your battles and it has some small cracks in it anyway) but I don't know if the bricks are damaged? Can I remove the plaster easily or is it going to be an expensive and delicate work? If I get someone to replaster after, what should I put on it? Could it even be paint? Basically all sorts of questions around "What should I expect once I remove this plaster?" but before I remove it. :)

Thank you for your responses.

Hard to tell looks like rough cast to me if you take it off will need to be rendered again like the above said it leave brickwork damaged

Thanks for the feedback, you confirm my feeling. So when I take this off, I need to put something back on like stone cladding ;) but can I paint it or the brick will probably be too damaged? Is the work complex or normal business?
Do all plasters damage brickwork or only cement ones?
Thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, you confirm my feeling. So when I take this off, I need to put something back on like stone cladding ;) but can I paint it or the brick will probably be too damaged? Is the work complex or normal business?
Do all plasters damage brickwork or only cement ones?
Thanks again

Hack it off, do majority using a modern render and brick slips around front door to create a feature. Best of both worlds.

Now you have pointed this ugly one out Lastlaff, I have to promise you it will go!

Last edited: