what is the goin rate for a plasterers labourer ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
when I was labouring I use to keep the tools clean then on a saturday one of the spreads would go do a private job and I get back on site on monday to dirty tools and then get a bollocking cos they were not clean.....

Funny thing now is that I am the one giving them work .... lol

coz usually they are cocky gobly little T***s. and it makes them appreiciate my drill :) if they dont clean it properly, theyre back on the podger.

thats how i had it when i started. they had a drill and it sat in the van for the first couple of months. if u cant labour properly, ul never be a decent spread

sweet :RpS_thumbsup: , but i wouldnt employ a cocky gobby t**t anyway , i couldnt watch one of my lads knocking up by hand when we got mixing drills in the van , mainly for the time it takes to knock up half dozen bags , but i teach my guys to look after the tools , some of you guys seem to think there the enemy . look after them and you will get back double , but i,m an old softy who still give xmas bonuses :RpS_blink:

i had one on the cards-gave him a oner a day/holiday pay etc-he proper mugged me off.62 days sick in a year and then started bangin on about lawyers if i sacked him!
sacked him in the end caught him snorting coke whilst we were working in a really posh private school-he works in a caff know-shame he was a good spread

none the school leavers round this way wanna be spreads
they've all spent to long messing around with computers and wanna get in to that
and the other half are just wasters wood rather just go on the dole straight from school
was one bloke just bit younger than me left school yr after i left school and never got a job till last yr so thats 8 yrs
job agency found him full time work at a window frame making company just tidying up and was on 450 a week witch aint bad consindering all he ad to do worked there about 3 months every weekend wood blow the lot on drink , charlie , kebabs got fed up quit and went stragth back on benifits
and they wonder why theres so many ppl claiming wen it just gives theses ppl an easy life

to be fair to young lads now, theyve got a point. why the **** would u wanna be a plasterers labourer when u could do anything else? its annoying when they dont wanna do it, but i can see why

You cant blame em if some of this lot are anything to go by , seems like there treated like scum , its a good trade , but not for minimum wage and be treated like a dog , i would say Fcuk that too

Agree with you there Blade, I think a labe should be on between 50-60quid a day from day one, but soon as they can lay on and flatten off etc/ set beads n what not (properly not leaving s**t all over them to scrape off) 80quid +

coz usually they are cocky gobly little T***s. and it makes them appreiciate my drill :) if they dont clean it properly, theyre back on the podger.

thats how i had it when i started. they had a drill and it sat in the van for the first couple of months. if u cant labour properly, ul never be a decent spread

Im obviously a s**t spread as Ive never used a podger in my life and hope to never have to! if my drill packed up Id probably go out and buy another one.

I think a lot of peoples attitudes on here just shows how out for themselves everyone is in the world, I like to treat people fairly, if they s**t on you cos your nice, so be it, Id rather be s**t on once or twice in my life time than turn into a **** and treat everyone like dirt!

Builders treat us like s**t, so we dont like working for them, then some spreads on here treat labourers like s**t, and wonder why they dont wanna work for ya! Dont get me wrong Im not a lefty liberal t**t, but I dont understand why people cant just treat others fairly, dont matter if your the boss, or if your working for someone, just be nice, and they will be nice back (in general)

i personally cant see anything wrong with using a podger. what would i if my drill packed up at work? id get my podger out and get on with it. dont u think someone thats learning a trade should learn that first? as i also think that if ur learning to be a chippy, u dont just go heres a load of power tools off u go, u should learn to use a handsaw first. as a general rule people dont have respect for other peoples tools, and the fact they had to work and save to pay for them. i think it makes people appreciate them more. also, as most labourers are generally wet behind the ears fresh from school where they always got their own way, they should be bossed around and put in their place a bit, and should be made to graft. its not treating people like s**t, its getting their arse in shape for a job that is hard work and is constant graft. most of them jack coz they cant hack it. and as i said, if u cant hack knocking up with a podger and some hard labouring, ul never be a decent spread.

Ok your the best spread in the world and Im s**t I get that dude.

Anyway, as far as a carpenter using a hacksaw instead of a power tool, well that makes sense, as its not always necessary or the best option to use a power tool.

But as far as using a podger over a mixer to knock up a reasonable amount of gear, well that is a load of b*ll***s and just making more work for the sake of it, if you said "mate I need a small amount of multi, can you knock up with a guager or podger as the mixer will splatter if everywhere" then that again is a different story and one worthy of NOT using a power tool.

Whatever though, I get what your saying and dont completely disagree, just differing opinion!

yep im great and ur not. thats exactly what i said.

its just my opinion from the way i was taught. i may be wrong but i think most people who were taught the same way would agree with me

things move on , there will always be mixing drills , just like a chippy will never use a screwdriver again , just a cordless ... seems like some people use it as a punishment , all my labourers have gone on to make decent spreads and i havent treated any of them like s**t , if the drill breaks , yeah , mix with a plunger , but deffo not just because i,m gonna teach them a lesson , my lads know how important tools are , they dont like it if there misused , but then i dont treat them like morons

If there was enough money in the job I'd make a new lab use a stick for a week then give him the drill and tell him any ******* around and he's back to the stick

I reckon if they can't hack it with a stick+plodger for a week or two they will fkoff anyhow.........sorts the wheat from the chaff. Nothing to do with treating them like shoit:RpS_thumbup:

Lol you guys are harsh. Never used one ever, my old man talks about using one users ago. I always think duck that!

i was taught with a podger aswell and ended up buying my own mixer after about 6 or 7 months of back breaking mixing haha, i can see this argument from both points of view as i was taught with the podger i dnt think it does anyone any harm to realise how hard the game is and also they need to learn how to use it in case the mixers break or the power on site is off for any reason but saying to a lab DO IT WITH THAT and not explaining to them the reasoning as to why they need to learn how to mix with it and the mixer will stop them from wanting to work with ya, i apretciate how hard work could be without my power tools because i was taught in a way that made me realise how lucky we are nowa days to have power tools, but to get a new labourers appretciation for the tools hes given you have to allow him to use power and non power mixers showing him the rough with the smooth will work better than instantly makeing him hate and disrespect you cos then he will **** off in the middle of a big job leaving you up the creak and moaning and swearing.

I think a lot of it is bitterness , i had to do it so you will do it , kinda thing . agreed they have to know how to use one but only when they have too , i remember how much i hated using a plunger so i,m not gonna put them through it for the sake of it ,AND its slow and the gears not as good , its not suprising some of the spreads on here cant keep a labourer

you never had plunger mixed gear from me then blade it was pukka and i was quick with it:RpS_thumbup:

I dont see what all the fuss is about anyway? if you got a tall bucket and a plunger you can knock a mix up as quick as using a machine...
dont have a tall bucket however... then your f'cked...
dont need no stick either...
way I was shown (and I still do it similar with a machine)
bag under left arm, ripped, plunger in right hand...
tip and repeat plunge/twist till the dust is 2" thick on top then just give it the beans... 30-45 seconds per bag... and I aint no big hairy arse hero... its like anything else where you need power - its all in the technique...
Ive seen big lads struggle to get a 6x4 glazed window off the van, let alone off the floor... i used to rock it, roll it and walk off with it on one arm makin em look fookin silly...

Nick didn't say that he makes them do it because he had to, simply that he wants them to appreciate the mixer which is fair cop in my book. What happens if 2 weeks into their new job the mixer breaks and they've never used a podger? But if 2 weeks in the podger breaks then a mixer will be like a wet dream to them

to be honest, ive had labourers (well) take longer to knock up with a mixer than it takes me to throw it on the walls... people like that would be better off with a bike cog...

I do think however that if you show a labourer a machine tool thats in perfect working order and makes life easier, and then force him to do the job by hand sayin 'i want you to appreciate my expensive machine tool' all he's gonna think is 'C.U.N.T'..
not the best way to get the best out of a person in my book...

Nick didn't say that he makes them do it because he had to, simply that he wants them to appreciate the mixer which is fair cop in my book. What happens if 2 weeks into their new job the mixer breaks and they've never used a podger? But if 2 weeks in the podger breaks then a mixer will be like a wet dream to them

very wise words steve!

thats just logic chopping... you can twist the idea around till it suits whatever argument you want... end of the day it takes 5 minutes to teach someone how to use a podger, if the mixer breaks, then it breaks, quick demo and away you go again...
if the labourer is a nob, then he's a nob, teach em to look after the tools from the ground up and whats the problem? do you have to come over all 'your in the army now boy'...

each to your own but i tend to get rid of aggresive little upstarts that know jack sh't about f'ck all but seem to think the world owes em a living and keep on the ones that want to learn and earn a living...

and my method of teaching, lead by example, tell em the reasons why they do something not just 'do it or else' seems to work better than 'you will fear me boy', but thats just me, i prefer to be taken as down the line but fair...

but thats just me innit... do whatever seems to work for you with the type of personnel your used to employing...

Don't get me wrong I've got a spare mixer and I haven't got a podger but I can see where nicks coming from. I hated mixing with a podger so I wouldn't get someone else to do it. Go home and come back tomorrow

im not having a pop at you or anyone else steve...
thats just the way i do things...
the idea of forcing someone to do something the hard way when they know full well theres an easier way is bad psychology in my experience...
i cant see nicks point... well i can, but i believe i get better results my way... im not arguing the toss... im just saying there is an alternative..
if i'd have been given a podger to mix with and then watched other poeple mixing with a mechanical whisk knowing full well theres one in the van i would have taken my self off site and given the bloke the finger, i credit myself with more integrity and intelligence than to be treated like a fool..
like i said, nicks perfectly entitled to his opinion, same way i am...

I'm agreeing with you mate, I wouldn't give a lab a podger if I had a mixer, but its good for them to appreciate how much easier a mixer makes it.

i agree mate... easy way to do that is just 'forget' to put the mixer on the van one day if they get a bit up themselves.. least you dont end up lookin a nazi that way...
i know what theyre like... everyone needs a bit of a motivation boost every now and then... even me... :RpS_blushing:

i was taught the hard way podger , cement mixer and hod , bath and rake , i wouldn't make my worst enemy go back to those days . Just because i had to do it doesn't make me any better or worse than the lab. It's hard enough finding a decent lab without p1ssing him off in the first week .

Status
Not open for further replies.