What is behind my finish coat?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenUK

Hi all,

First post, be gentle!

Just a regular DIYer, picked up a love for plastering doing the odd small wall and ceiling in my house.

Latest project is the bathroom. Ripping old tiles off, naturally the the privious owner didn't tank the walls and moisture got behind and has blown the finish coat...so it is coming away with the old tiles. Gonna have to rip it all off at least one wall.

My question is, can anyone offer advice as to what is behind the finish coat?

I thought it was bonding, but now think I might be sand and cement, bonus for backing board or straight tiling if it is!

It's pretty solid, can't push a screwdriver in it. It just marks the surface a little. Took a chunk off and tried to crush it by hand. Got a few small edges off it but it seems pretty solid.

Pics below...

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Cheers for taking a look and the responses. Much appreciated!

Ex council house built in the mid 60's, if that info helps narrow down what it might be.

Am I correct in thinking it can only really be bonding, browning, s&c, or some sort of lime based plaster or cement?

Lime fizzes in water, yeah? So I can rule that one out with a little experiment.

Bonding and browning are quite crumbly, no? So if I can't crush it with say the back of a screwdriver, it's not them?

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.