what is ames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summarized in layman's terms, it has two purposes. Ames taping is fire and smoke protection, and also an alternative to plastering which is being increasingly used in new house building contracts since originating in the late 1930's The work can be done by automatic drywall taping tools or by hand, dependant on the size of the job. The tape and joint cement is only applied to the plasterboard joints and screw holes rather than the whole area, resulting in a smaller percentage of materials being used than traditional plastering. The finished product leaves the walls and ceilings seamless, smooth and ready to decorate

Hmmm,

Well if you "ames" somthing, I thought it meant filling, easi fil is like an ames...

Danny

ames is "gyproc joint cement" its used for making good after plasterers, you can also use easifill

Ames is another name for tape and jointing named after the two american brothers that invented it and invented the 'bazooka' fact :)

these wernt the same two guys who invented 'waste pipe dot and dabbing' were they? ;D

i got a little wall to d&d in a couple of weeks, i'll let you know if it works segs!

Tell you what segs i cant get me head round that mate :-? :-?
dont you remember the post? some spanish guy with a bit of gaffer tape and some waste pipe dabbin a wall... i cant wait to have a go.. lookin forward to pugs report... ;D
just imagine it... 'the drywall cannon' :D

i was thinkin of makin half a dozen of them, taping them together and stringing across my chest, rambo stye, see what the customer says ;D don't push me :mad:

Alot of painters do ames taping. Not as good a job as plastering but its not bad if the right taper does it. And its not necisseraly quicker than skimming either because you have to go over the ames taping with a coat of pure velvet then sand it a few times (when done properly).

Status
Not open for further replies.