what hawk?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrSpoon85

i started off with an aluminium hawk, but after using that as a chisel to scrape back some wonky render the handle snapped off ;D
so i used one of colleges PVC hawks, didnt like it at first but got used to it, but decided to get myself another aluminium one, which to be honest im not liking that much, the sounds of the trowel scraping againt the edge and such like! just feels so rough against the trowel, just wondered what your prefferance is?

i started off with an aluminium hawk, but after using that as a chisel to scrape back some wonky render the handle snapped off  ;D
so i used one of colleges PVC hawks, didnt like it at first but got used to it, but decided to get myself another aluminium one, which to be honest im not liking that much, the sounds of the trowel scraping againt the edge and such like! just feels so rough against the trowel, just wondered what your prefferance is?

i only used one, a aluminium marshaltown :)

its good, i know what u mean about the rough sound when you take some off ;D

but it dont bother me though!

either or for me...
downside of plastic ones is if you sit it on the floor and the labourer stands on it you snap the handle off...bit awkward if u only got that one with u and no superglue!! btw superglue works a treat!

Plastic hawks end up with big chunks out of them, not nice when you're trying to clean your trowel on the edge and it leaves a lot of mix on your laying on tool! Metal Marshalltown all the way!

I use marshaltown but they do get a bit caked up after a while just the build up every day use. How do you clean yours up? I used to drop it on the floor and crack it off until i accidently dropped it a bit wrong and the handle snapped off ::) What i do now is just soak it in a tub of water every night and it comes up brand new, make sure you take the doughnut off before, as its a bit uncomfortable with a soaking wet one :)

mine is aluminium got it from my local diy store
I haven't seen the 'aluminium' part of my hawk for years. It's so caked in plaster I doubt whether a metal detector would pick it up  ;D

I don't bother cleaning it as such, just give it a bang with the trowel every morning. This serves two purposes.... firstly, getting rid of any snots and secondly waking the labourer up  ;)

Never used the magy ones, they're suposed to be lightweight compared to the ally ones. Are they worth paying the extra for?

Never used the magy ones, they're suposed to be lightweight compared to the ally ones. Are they worth paying the extra for?

Yes Peg it will out last a ali hawk , mine is around two years old now and its not showing any signs of wear and is still flat also

Had ma hawk for about 3 years and you can see the wear and tear on the sides where you clean your trowel.

Status
Not open for further replies.