What has happened here and can I fix it?

Members online

AreYouTheFarmer

Hello, not a plasterer but open to a little DIY. Not sure if this is beyond me though.

Extension built in 2018 and after about 3 months cracks started to appear in the ceiling around the edge of the roof lights. We left it as thought it might just be down to everything settling after the build.

It's steadily got worse and now some of the cracks are quite big and carry on across the ceiling. I decided to get up and have a closer look today and have scraped away some of the blown plaster. It's revealed a metal edge that looked like it's dropped down (not sure of technical terms - apologies). I've added some photos so you can see what I mean.

Can it be fixed and if so can I do it or should I just move!

Thanks

Attachments

• E6BBE016-78BA-4B10-88C5-E134FB682A71.jpeg
    E6BBE016-78BA-4B10-88C5-E134FB682A71.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 262
  • FCB613A6-0C13-400F-9DF5-B9BA0C0EC430.jpeg
    FCB613A6-0C13-400F-9DF5-B9BA0C0EC430.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 271
  • 4F59E013-1BF9-40E8-8524-27610F1973EB.jpeg
    4F59E013-1BF9-40E8-8524-27610F1973EB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 247
  • AEE582C3-8F4D-4D16-B206-2347478FB5E1.jpeg
    AEE582C3-8F4D-4D16-B206-2347478FB5E1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 256
  • 4A16F819-B411-4D5B-B802-F268E1E79A78.jpeg
    4A16F819-B411-4D5B-B802-F268E1E79A78.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 270
looks to me like a stress crack. i can not see any fixing in the thin coat bead.
A structural engineer would want the ceiling covered in ply. re plasterboard and skimmed. this would give the ceiling great strength.

Mixture of poor beading, thin finish (one coat) and the weight of that planter won’t be doing it any favours if there’s nothing for the fixings but plasterboard.

Mixture of poor beading, thin finish (one coat) and the weight of that planter won’t be doing it any favours if there’s nothing for the fixings but plasterboard.
Technically the bead doesn't need as fixings, it could be stuck on and I've never once seen a bead just come off due to lack of fixings.
It doesn't matter whether the plaster was put on in one, two or ten coats, it can only be as thick as the bead allows.
That planter doesn't look to be anywhere near the problem area, not that it would cause such an issue.
IMO this whole thing is caused by timber movement. Probably caused by wet timbers.

it could be down to bad boarding too big gaps near the bead edge nothing to fix the bead to on the underneath properly no scrim running along it to strengthen it either if so

Technically the bead doesn't need as fixings, it could be stuck on and I've never once seen a bead just come off due to lack of fixings.
It doesn't matter whether the plaster was put on in one, two or ten coats, it can only be as thick as the bead allows.
That planter doesn't look to be anywhere near the problem area, not that it would cause such an issue.
IMO this whole thing is caused by timber movement. Probably caused by wet timbers.
Wet in rain when installed then after roofing blasted by sun on 36 degree days through roof light maybe south facing garden = twist city house side of reveal

Hello, not a plasterer but open to a little DIY. Not sure if this is beyond me though.

Extension built in 2018 and after about 3 months cracks started to appear in the ceiling around the edge of the roof lights. We left it as thought it might just be down to everything settling after the build.

It's steadily got worse and now some of the cracks are quite big and carry on across the ceiling. I decided to get up and have a closer look today and have scraped away some of the blown plaster. It's revealed a metal edge that looked like it's dropped down (not sure of technical terms - apologies). I've added some photos so you can see what I mean.

Can it be fixed and if so can I do it or should I just move!

Thanks
game of thrones cast GIF

:tanguero:

If it is a structural movement then it is going to be an expensive repair but If no cracks going across the room. I would take out the bead, cut out any cracks or loose plaster, PVA background, fix more screws if plasterboard loose, bed in new bead, Fill and sand area.
Get a local plasterer to do the work and do the sanding and painting yourself if you want to save some money.

Looks like those beads are just about hanging on for dear life with a few staples. Things should be banned.

100% been a leak, just a steady trickle. Enough to saturate the timber. Timber has expanded and shrank several times. Which has caused this.