What employes want!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter1987

I am due to start a 5 week c+g 6218 plastering course and would love any feedback on the quality of this course and if it is something employer value????

Any replies much appreciated cheers.

Peter1987

i as an employer dont value any course to be honest, ive started a few lads over the years that have done courses and theyve never been any good.
a course wll give you a basic idea of whats involved, but i wouldnt expect to complete a course and then jump into paid work as a plasterer.

Hi Owl,

Yer that is the kinda vibe im getting from most people i talk to. so how would you go about say if you were in my position? im thinking of just ringing all local plasterers to me and saying that on my week days off im willing to shadow them for free just so i can get in the enviroment and see how things are done. is it a route worth following?

ive decided not to go ahead with the course at the mo until i can justify doing it. which i dont think is going to happen, but the course i was looking at costs £1995.

im thinking of just ringing all local guys to me and tell them i wanna get into plastering ill do labouring or whatever for them and get in that way, fingers crossed.

thoughts????

cheers

Peter1987

At your age getting on as a labourer is definitely the best way. My labs only been working with me 8 weeks but he's older than me! You need to see and experience real world plastering, and I wouldn't have thought you could get that on a course. 5 weeks?! Make it more like 5 years before people are going to take you seriously.

Not sure if a local plasterer is going to let you shadow them knowing you will be starting up by yourself in competition with them but if you do then good luck. Personally I wouldn't work for free, but thats just me. Get yourself on a decent course with goldtrowel and see how you get on. Practice on your own home and those of friends for cheap. And then go work for someone for a reduced fee. Plastering isnt rocket science mate, but there is a lot to learn, and you won't learn by just watching.

All the best to you whatever you decide.

You work with a plasterer as a labourer to learn you knob of course there's a chance they might leave at some point

Yes mate, sorry if I sound like an advert. But I just think people need to go experience it before they slag it off.

Spunksniffer; see below. Stick to plastering mate, you suck at life.

Hi Owl,

Yer that is the kinda vibe im getting from most people i talk to. so how would you go about say if you were in my position? im thinking of just ringing all local plasterers to me and saying that on my week days off im willing to shadow them for free just so i can get in the enviroment and see how things are done. is it a route worth following?

Mate, think about it. If someone in your local area says;

'I'm starting plastering. I don't mind working for you for free in my days off, I just want to learn and get a feel for it'.

1) No one can afford to work for free for that long.

2) Most people would not bother working for free for any more then a month or so (bearing in mind it is a hard grafting job, made worse if you don't have your hands on the tools).

3)So when said 'trainee' realises what the work is like and has enough of working for nothing and not being alowed to even play with a trowel....

....whats he going to do? ...He'll go do a course, get the hands on, and stick an advert in the paper above yours.

Alternativly, he could go ask a plasterer for minimum wage for being a labourer and train under him for a few years. When he leaves after that, its just the way it works.

Its basic business mate, if he is getting paid he will stay, if he isnt- he'll **** off.

You know aswell as i do when you've wanked most of you're life away maybe had a kid or decide you need to leave mummy and daddy you need a real job, I've got nothing against people doing a course for experience I've got a fair bit against people who go on a course and calling themselves a plasterer because there cowboys, I haven't got a clue what you're trying to say about him working for free, I understand what you're saying about the lab on basic wage as for the rest of it I take it with a pinch of salt because you haven't exactly been there have you..........do you understand or is this going to go on all ******* night?

I'm 30, I have a wife, and a kid, I left home years ago and got a mortgage years ago. And yes I have been there, but it was just a different trade that I work worked my way up in. You have no idea who you are talking to or what experience I have. Unfortunatly this trade and my trade are both full of people like you that are whinging on forums about anyone that has not been doing for as long as them. Is it any wonder people are taking a different route. In the time I have spent here all I have seen is you slagging off anyone who asks a newbie question, anyone who mentions courses, and anyone that hasn't done it your way. You may call it banter, but its not. try helping people with your knowledge instead of tearing them apart with an irrelevent 3 word post.

To brake it down: Stop being a C*** and this will be a better place.

End of rant.

No I'm against people going on courses and lowering the tone and quality of work, you're not an experienced tradesman if you were you'd have half a clue where I'm coming from do you understand or are you going to give me some more pearls of wisdom mr strange bloke been on a course doing it years in another trade and this isn't his first

I know exactly what you mean mate, what I'm saying is that the route of that is not just down to courses. Explain 'mr 27 years experience' that came and ****** up my house? He was an apprentice and he was so s**t that he drove me to train up in it myself. Its the person that matters not how they got there. I agree that most can't be a plasterer after a week course, but after 6 weeks you should be able to turn out good work, after that it is just speed. Please just go to a taster day at goldtrowel, its free for **** sake!

No more 'pearls' of wisdom from me- you have probably had enough sprayed on your face over the years.

6 weeks are you taking the ******* piss? I don't know who you are and I don't give a **** who you are you knob don't come on here pretending you know **** all about plastering, you're another courser arguing the toss about how great they are after a few weeks this place is full of em have fun I do lol

skimming a wall is not really plastering kingpin, no offence but my 2 girls 10 and 12 can both skim, its just a aspect of plastering, their is no way that guy with 27 years exp is a real spread he prob done a course, try and get work with a mob and learn more about the trade, by the sounds of it most of the guys on hear no what they are talking about, im not having a go but your tools wont even be brocken in mate.

You haven't read a word I have said have you you muppet. I haven't said I was mr plaster. I said that I was better then the bloke that did my house and that was after a week. That was two years ago dickhead. Stop thinking that what you do is rocket science- its not. Like most trades it takes time to learn but so long as you don't take on too much too fast, you can do a good job. And if you couldn't do it after a week then maybe your training wasnt so good after all.

Kingpin it's not rocket science it takes a lot of patience hard work and aptitude, you got ripped off gutted you ******* w**k*r lol

@Scotsplasterer

I agree with you mate, skimming is not the be all and end all. And you cant learn everything from a course. And I have never slated spunktasters experience/skill. THis is a great forum with knowledgeable people, but I know for a fact that a lot of people are fed up of this tool. He has probably driven away countless people with his ramblings and its about time someone tells him hes a c***.

you only live once mate I don't make my living on the Internet I make sure I get rid of those ***** up for making a quick buck and ******* it up for other qualified tradesmen ...it sort of turned into a hobby lol .....cry into you're cup as much as you want mate you're the same as the rest of em exept for some bizarre reason you've convinced yourself you know what you're talking about

I've been doing this for two years so far and you think I'm going to be put off by a f*ckmonkey like you? haha er...no. I think you have an overwhelming sense of self importance on this forum. Have a look over your posts and think about what it is you offer here? **** all, just like me. But at least I'm trying to learn.

I've saved a lot of money by doing my own plastering, and even if you went over it with a magnifying glass you would not find a fault with the work I have done. The only rip off will be paying a money grabbing t**t like you to come and do what I can do myself after a week.

come on chaps...... play nice...

both have valid points... but please dont start getting too abusive...

Danny you need to set up a separate section for coursers preferably one I'm not aloud in

....where did that come from?

I called you a c*** and got thanked 4 times for it! Trust me- you are not liked here my friend. The only person that looks a bitch here is you.

....now go clean my trowel.:RpS_sneaky:

Status
Not open for further replies.