What do you pay your apprentice's/Trainee's ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was started as a labourer on £50 a day.
After 3 months I decided to pick up a trowel, flattening in & polishing up, after a few weeks boss put money up to £65 a day:RpS_thumbup:
Boss went on holiday for a month in December, one of our contacts used me for the month (huge learning curve!!!) on £80 a day.
Now I think the boss feels the need to look at my rate again:RpS_cool:

Was on a piss poor 30 a day first year apprentice went up to 40 a day second year n then 60 a day the next year even tho had finished apprenticeship n was skimming out rooms and knew bout the trade than my so called boss. Finally went on my own n money double. Tbf tho most lads get 70 a week first year apprentice where I went.

Apprentices should be paying me per day for teaching em.

They want me to take time off and show them how it is done so I take a pay cut to teach someone and then they either work for the competition or become your competitor.

No seriously I have had trainees but since 2000 todays school leavers cant hack it and soon quit. I have given up on youth so now employ 23 years + and if they show willing I train them up. But most seem to get to scratch on and lay on (s&c) level and stop there. Its as though going beyond that is too much responsibility so they act dumb and stay there. They then get the boot and for survival move onto a competitor and soon pick the rest up. They then get the boot off them for one reason or another and try and come back but to late, once a dumb arsed b,astard always a dummy.

Bit of a gamble,
You might get stuck with a someone who's not cut out for the game or stuck on phone texting all day
or land lucky and get a switched on grafter,
give em a trial before agreeing rates

Bit of a gamble,
You might get stuck with a someone who's not cut out for the game or stuck on phone texting all day
or land lucky and get a switched on grafter,
give em a trial before agreeing rates
Texting? facebook updates. twitter. it goes on and on..I have said to labourers, when I ask you something you seem to know nothing yet you can chat all day, what do you talk about?

Apprentices should be paying me per day for teaching em.

They want me to take time off and show them how it is done so I take a pay cut to teach someone and then they either work for the competition or become your competitor.

No seriously I have had trainees but since 2000 todays school leavers cant hack it and soon quit. I have given up on youth so now employ 23 years + and if they show willing I train them up. But most seem to get to scratch on and lay on (s&c) level and stop there. Its as though going beyond that is too much responsibility so they act dumb and stay there. They then get the boot and for survival move onto a competitor and soon pick the rest up. They then get the boot off them for one reason or another and try and come back but to late, once a dumb arsed b,astard always a dummy.
With respect Rigsby there are lads on line now ,that have put them self out going on a course and working with what ever comes up , you are saying anyone under 18 is not worth a look or a chance ,take yourself back to 18 Rigby

Last edited:
With respect Rigsby there are lads on line now ,that have put them self out going on a course and working with what ever comes up , you are saying anyone under 18 is not worth a look or a chance ,take yourself back to 18 Rigby

I left school at 15 and wanted to be a plumber but could only get a plastering apprenticeship. Wet trades was took on at 15 at £4.75p a week and you had no chance at 16 because they was a whopping £7.50 a week for the same experience. You left school either to go into a trade or career or shelf stacking at fine fare for the boys or Woolworths for the girls.

I was determined to get a trade but if you left your apprenticeship you did not get a second chance so you had to stick it out. My apprenticeship was 4 years and I stuck it out to within 1 month of my apprenticeship ending but the foreman talked to me like **** and once I was on full money I was not taking any more **** off him. Showed me up again one day so I felt good enough to walk. My employer was a star but was never on the job. pity as I would have stayed with him otherwise.

In the late 80,s I wanted to give youth the opportunity what someone had once given me. The first on a yts scheme was hard work and full of cheek, he did my head in. He had to move on but no one could put up with him. The second came from a family of spreads and was with me for 8 years. He is now a well off spread. Others came but never had the enthusiasm. The main problem was tools. They would not buy any so I gave them £10 a week tool money and once they had enough for a decent handboard and trowel they either bought one as they now had the money or walked. They preferred to walk.

I kept this up for 4 years and went to see the management at then Henry Boot Training Ltd. I discussed the problem and they told me they send the no hopes to the wet trades and the brainy ones into joinery and plumbing/electrics. That was an eye opener. I was being used to introduce them to the real world but even they expected the lads to fail. So I gave up on that yts crap. I have since took on paye school leavers and same again with the tool problem but for those that did try as soon as winter came they was off. Simply could,t hack the conditions.

I am not on my own either. Most wet trades I know who train up now go for early 20's. You get a young man who has mucked about in his youth and now has a kid on the way and a woman to keep. Now is the time to stop mucking about and get their life in order. They are the ones I go for. Start off as a labourer and go from there.

I left school at 15 and wanted to be a plumber but could only get a plastering apprenticeship. Wet trades was took on at 15 at £4.75p a week and you had no chance at 16 because they was a whopping £7.50 a week for the same experience. You left school either to go into a trade or career or shelf stacking at fine fare for the boys or Woolworths for the girls.

I was determined to get a trade but if you left your apprenticeship you did not get a second chance so you had to stick it out. My apprenticeship was 4 years and I stuck it out to within 1 month of my apprenticeship ending but the foreman talked to me like **** and once I was on full money I was not taking any more **** off him. Showed me up again one day so I felt good enough to walk. My employer was a star but was never on the job. pity as I would have stayed with him otherwise.

In the late 80,s I wanted to give youth the opportunity what someone had once given me. The first on a yts scheme was hard work and full of cheek, he did my head in. He had to move on but no one could put up with him. The second came from a family of spreads and was with me for 8 years. He is now a well off spread. Others came but never had the enthusiasm. The main problem was tools. They would not buy any so I gave them £10 a week tool money and once they had enough for a decent handboard and trowel they either bought one as they now had the money or walked. They preferred to walk.

I kept this up for 4 years and went to see the management at then Henry Boot Training Ltd. I discussed the problem and they told me they send the no hopes to the wet trades and the brainy ones into joinery and plumbing/electrics. That was an eye opener. I was being used to introduce them to the real world but even they expected the lads to fail. So I gave up on that yts crap. I have since took on paye school leavers and same again with the tool problem but for those that did try as soon as winter came they was off. Simply could,t hack the conditions.

I am not on my own either. Most wet trades I know who train up now go for early 20's. You get a young man who has mucked about in his youth and now has a kid on the way and a woman to keep. Now is the time to stop mucking about and get their life in order. They are the ones I go for. Start off as a labourer and go from there.

most young lads are lazy in my experience.
i wouldnt take a lad on whose youger than early 20's, been there done that.
i have a variation of lads on for us, aged 30 and under, like you say once they get a lady friend, car ,etc responsibilities tends to sort there priorities out.

Well I have trained, well it must be in excess of 200 now and you know what you get good and bad. If you give up on them all because you have had some bad experiences then complain because the same lad goes to college because he can't get a job where does it leave us. Try contacting a college or something similar, ask them if they have got anybody who they would employ, ask them if they can have a week off for a trial or have a look at the work they are doing. You might actually find that you are surprised with the ability and the quality.
Yes you get bad ones and some very bad ones at that, but believe me you get some very good ones who simply can't get a start because of what happend to somebody else. Somebody gave you a chance and did you never make a mistake? Just be very careful who you pick!

Well I have trained, well it must be in excess of 200 now and you know what you get good and bad. If you give up on them all because you have had some bad experiences then complain because the same lad goes to college because he can't get a job where does it leave us. Try contacting a college or something similar, ask them if they have got anybody who they would employ, ask them if they can have a week off for a trial or have a look at the work they are doing. You might actually find that you are surprised with the ability and the quality.
Yes you get bad ones and some very bad ones at that, but believe me you get some very good ones who simply can't get a start because of what happend to somebody else. Somebody gave you a chance and did you never make a mistake? Just be very careful who you pick!

I agree, a firm took a chance on me and i completed my apprenticeship[even though i was treated like shite but thats another issue]
i have also been told i would not fulfill the criteria now to get a lad to gain his full nvq in solid plasterwork because we only carry out rendering be it every different type of render.

but i have been down the college route, and to be honest i will never take another apprentice on. The reason being the amount of bureaucacy is pathetic now that colleges require, and the goverment come out with statements like we are trying to get employers to take on apprentices by offering them incentives, i can tell you the grants available are pitiful.
That is why a lot of plastering/rendering firms wont take on apprentices anymore my friend, i speak on a regular basis to other outfits of a similiar size to me and they all echo what ive said, the system wants overhalling.

I dont think I could sleep at night paying another human being £25 a day. Is it any wonder young lads either give up or do the minimum time then move on? If they are any good they are going to be grafting all day resenting you. Paying someone what you got paid when you were an apprentice in 1975 is not right. Mutual respect will end up earning more money than grinding along hating each others guts.

I dont think I could sleep at night paying another human being £25 a day. Is it any wonder young lads either give up or do the minimum time then move on? If they are any good they are going to be grafting all day resenting you. Paying someone what you got paid when you were an apprentice in 1975 is not right. Mutual respect will end up earning more money than grinding along hating each others guts.

I Started on £80 a week 12 years ago not in the 70's.

I'm a one man band at the end of the day ... And if a young lad is happy to learn a trade for £25 a day then good on him. He will make his money in the future, with me or without me. I think the more you give them the more they want, then it only become about the money instead of learning.

It wont take a fairly intellegent lad long on that money to start feeling used. They will have a good idea what kind of money your on. They will be rubbing their hands together dreaming of the day they can ditch you, and earn five times as much as they were earning and still undercut you!

i started off with a builder about 2 years ago now he paid me £35 a day didnt care about me didnt show me much so the moment i see another on site i grafted and asked him for a job he gave me £50 a day and started teaching me.....from labourers point of view i see it as look after me ill graft for you and stay with you after you teach me to return the favour unless you have to lay me off like the builder i worked for :/ knowledge and a fair wage i think is fair price for hard graft loyalty and repay the time by helping them earn more once taught :)

It wont take a fairly intellegent lad long on that money to start feeling used. They will have a good idea what kind of money your on. They will be rubbing their hands together dreaming of the day they can ditch you, and earn five times as much as they were earning and still undercut you!

I understand what your saying.

So i should turn around to the boy and say i can only afford to pay you £25 so it not worth your while?

The lad from the age of 16 has been waiting for this chance to learn this trade, thats 4 years, becacuse know one will give him a chance.

So you think i'm wrong in give the boy my time my experience?

I think your taking shite mate .... It's a shame all young lads arent like this.

Who cares you made you're money out of him

I agree, a firm took a chance on me and i completed my apprenticeship[even though i was treated like shite but thats another issue]
i have also been told i would not fulfill the criteria now to get a lad to gain his full nvq in solid plasterwork because we only carry out rendering be it every different type of render.

but i have been down the college route, and to be honest i will never take another apprentice on. The reason being the amount of bureaucacy is pathetic now that colleges require, and the goverment come out with statements like we are trying to get employers to take on apprentices by offering them incentives, i can tell you the grants available are pitiful.
That is why a lot of plastering/rendering firms wont take on apprentices anymore my friend, i speak on a regular basis to other outfits of a similiar size to me and they all echo what ive said, the system wants overhalling.

Mate your right about the amount of paperwork but they are trying to make sure that your insurance is adequate and that the apprentices are safe etc. Then you get the added problem of making sure that they are being trained properly oh and by the way you dont get grants from all the training organisations. I think it's all about if you want to help somebody and give them a chance and you are prepared or can afford to give up time and go through the effort that is required to get an apprentice trained up.

How is it you can only afford to pay him £25 quid? He is commited and will be learning fast.

"So you think i'm wrong in give the boy my time my experience?" He is giving you 8 hours a day, making you money, there is no way you are "giving" him half of that.

Dont get me wrong, its good you are employing him, but its going to be hard for him to live on that kind of money.

How is it you can only afford to pay him £25 quid? He is commited and will be learning fast.

"So you think i'm wrong in give the boy my time my experience?" He is giving you 8 hours a day, making you money, there is no way you are "giving" him half of that.

Dont get me wrong, its good you are employing him, but its going to be hard for him to live on that kind of money.

I'm not making money on him, he's been with me around 7 months. He's very committed and will earn his money in the future.

If he get a better offer than who am i to stand in his way, he's got a bit more sense than most of these youngsters who want a fortune when they're inexperienced.

How much for a school leaver? £125 is more than enough for someone who knows nothing and can only mix. You give them progression pay rises. The more they learn the more they earn. But in return you need to profit from them otherwise what's in it for you?

My employer virtually got me for free for the first 2 years, he got a citb grant no wonder school leavers could get an apprenticeship when they left school in 1972. I was on £4.75 a week and the tradesman's basic wage was £27.00 so what's that as a percentage?

I did have some lads who had interviews with me who as good as said if the money is crap they won't take the job. Only if the money is good will they be prepared to learn a trade. Well there loss. If money in exchange for a skill for life is such a big issue then they will probably be militant and are best left alone. I was told at school that when you are an apprentice you start off with little money and get treat like a dog. This is the price of learning a trade and getting better money from 19+ than a shelf stacker at Fine Fare (Supermarket chain). Thats was the deal and I was prepared for it and like owls I was treated like shite and for me it was a 4 year sentence. Soon as my sentence was up I was off!

But start low with a progression plan. Some make it in a couple of years some need more time.

Last edited:
Really you laughed you're head off at me when I told you you had to earn a labourers wage

I didn't laugh my head off but maybe your stuck 20 years in the past no man is going to be able to live off £30 a day unless there sponging off mummy n daddy...in reality a man needs about £40 a day to tick over...thanks for calling me a w*****r btw that was what I was laughing at :) not really called for but fine

I didn't call you a w**k*r I don't know where you got that from and I can tell in 5 minutes you will never be a plasterer ******

Status
Not open for further replies.