What do you make of this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

User________removed

Private Member
The farm where ive done a fair bit of work over the last 2 years have asked me to render some panels in the barn where they keep the calves.

The wall is constructed from concrete hollow block and is in horrendous condition as you will see from the photos. The wall is below ground level completely, the back side of the wall is banked up with a grass mound, The main problem (and i promise you this is not a piss take) is over the last 5 years the calves have been licking the wall possibly for salt and minerals, and have managed to get through to the hollow section of the block in some areas, bizarre i know but true.

So the farmers plan was for me to render a band across about 7 blocks high rather pull down and rebuild as it would be cheper, theres no rush either as the next batch of calve arnt coming until september.

Im guessing theres going to be big problems with damp and salt, so any suggestions as to additives mesh etc ??????????????

Much appreciated, not exactly your run of the mill render job, but interesting !!

AB

View attachment 311View attachment 312View attachment 313

You could. slap a bit of cowshite in the mix give it a bit of body.good luck pal let's hope there's no foot and mouth around.rumour has it the farmers wife might be up for a rumble in the haystack lol.

Any ideas for additives Henry ? or ratios for that matter, just slightly concerned about the salt and minerals that they are licking. Must be something there that attracts them because they don't do it in any of the other bays...

In the old days it was lime and lime wash they wont lick that,render on cement board maybe but might be a bit dear for a farmer.

you really need to wash down with an anti-sulphate, cos that damage is not from the cows just licking it it is phosphate damage from the cow piss and s**t , and if it's got s**t piled up at the back of it then double trouble, as henry said keep it plain and simple, good wash down with anti sulph, then a wash down with 1;9 sbr/water till the blocks won't take any more, dub out with a modified render 1;4 sbr/water gauging mix, scratch coat in same with some mesh bedded in then top in same again incorporating an anti sulphate and using sulphate resisting cement all the way through,
might last a good few years might not , but when your covering up something that bad , what sort of of guarantee can you give, this would be my approach to it , that or knock it down and start again

What warrior says above is sound advice again all depends on budget. I would not think it's of high value just a tidy up job for the guy. I have used sovereign ready render it has all your looking for. Like I say its down to budget ready render is £10 .51 + vat 25kg bag I suppose a barrow of sand +cement
per barrow comes in at £5.

The farms in kenilworth Steve, done all the Barn conversions here, and a few other bits over the years. Horses for courses i think guys, never had any dramas with money off them, i just think he wants it tidying up for when the next lot of calves come in, but not interested in re-blocking. Hence just running a band round the problem area as it is. its one of those " Its only a cow shed but needs to look sound cos hes paying" type scenarios. Polishing a turd springs to mind !!!

Cheers for all the reply s ill work on it.

you really need to wash down with an anti-sulphate, cos that damage is not from the cows just licking it it is phosphate damage from the cow piss and s**t , and if it's got s**t piled up at the back of it then double trouble, as henry said keep it plain and simple, good wash down with anti sulph, then a wash down with 1;9 sbr/water till the blocks won't take any more, dub out with a modified render 1;4 sbr/water gauging mix, scratch coat in same with some mesh bedded in then top in same again incorporating an anti sulphate and using sulphate resisting cement all the way through,
might last a good few years might not , but when your covering up something that bad , what sort of of guarantee can you give, this would be my approach to it , that or knock it down and start again

Warrior so would i use the same ratios of s/c as normal but with the sulphur resisting cement and added gauging mix ? and do i bin the lime in the top coat ? or just carry on as normal but with the different cement.

Cheers AB

Warrior so would i use the same ratios of s/c as normal but with the sulphur resisting cement and added gauging mix ? and do i bin the lime in the top coat ? or just carry on as normal but with the different cement.

Cheers AB

yes mate , replace the portland cement with sulphate resistant and bin the lime

The only problem with rebuilding bubbles is the steel sections in between, and the fact that the other side of the wall is the pa-dock which is banked up the wall. Theres a lot of retained soil there to shift before stripping out the old block work mate.

Thats the thing with those concrete panels though, they slot into an RSJ that's been concreted upright into the ground, so you only need to dig out the corner then at the ends of each panel.............job done:RpS_thumbup:

How about a sika tanking spec , its high ground on the other side it will stop any more bleeding through , damp or salt and the 1st splatter coat will give you a good bond , the sika system is good for water tanks and swimming pools so no worries about cows licking it , just another view on it ! , its not the cheapest way but most farmers are worth a few quid

It just a tidy up job mate , that sika gear is good used tons of the bagged render on the spinnaker tower .

do it cheap ...do it twice , but they wont be told :-0 . cant see normal scratch and float doing the job on this project , but what do i know

do it cheap ...do it twice , but they wont be told :-0 . cant see normal scratch and float doing the job on this project , but what do i know

exactly, but at least if he modifies the render a little it might stand half a chance, it's well ruff and i wouldn't give any guarantees

Status
Not open for further replies.