What do I use to plaster over lime mortar walls in my 1908 2 bed Victorian House?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam69

Advice and help needed please

I have taken off all the old lime plaster on my inside walls due it being blown and cracked. I have tested the mortar in my brick work by dropping in brick acid and it fizzes which shows it is lime (probably not the only way to test). Now being a wall with lime mortar what do I use to plaster over this?

Budget is a main concern for me as I know in ideal world I should re plaster using lime. Unless someone knows otherwise to where lime can be purchased for these kind of jobs at a reasonable price?

I have been given two options to use on the walls for plastering.

1) Sand and cement followed by Multi Finish
2) Gypsum Hard wall followed by Multi Finish

Pulling my hair out over this as I have no idea what to do. There is just so much debate over this topic and I can't find the answer that gives me courage to go for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Adam

Lots of pros and cons for both, I prefer sand and cement ,mixing it weak at six sand one cement one lime, half bag per normal belle mixer load or measure it out.leave this to dry for five days then skim,
if you decide on hardwall you can float in the morning and skim in the afternoon, great material if salts and moisture are not in the brickwork.

Thank you to all so far, are there anymore options????? budget---- it's a two bed house so can't spend the earth on it.

I have heard that I should used 'washed sand' and also use a product that doesn't allow the salt staining come through also a water proofer..??...also what should the walls be prepped with before anything goes them i.e. PVA and water mix or just water - if so what should the mix be?

Is the lime I use to mix in with the sand and cement just standard lime? does it have a particular name so I can find out where to buy it from.

Many thanks

Thank you to all so far, are there anymore options????? budget---- it's a two bed house so can't spend the earth on it.

I have heard that I should used 'washed sand' and also use a product that doesn't allow the salt staining come through also a water proofer..??...also what should the walls be prepped with before anything goes them i.e. PVA and water mix or just water - if so what should the mix be?

Is the lime I use to mix in with the sand and cement just standard lime? does it have a particular name so I can find out where to buy it from.

Many thanks
who is doing the work?

Jesssop, No idea as yet, I am just trying to research it as much as I can get the right products and right plaster to do all the work! This site is a bit of a life saver. So I am currently looking for a plaster. I have to say John has been very helpful so far!!!!!

What not just batten it out with timber and board and skim - problem solved!

maybe even add some extra insulation......

just a thought...

Good luck!

As it was lime plaster to begin with in a house of this age, then it really should be lime plaster again. Is it a listed building? Always remember that a cheap job is never cheap, as it usually has to be done again. There may also be an issue with breathability in this house because of its age. If there is no damp present at the moment, then introducing non-breathable elements may cause a damp problem, as there will be nowhere for any moisture to go.

With regards to 5 parts washed plastering sand, 1 cement and 1 lime - why is lime added? can anyone give me some more back ground on that. Thanks?

If you looking at john doing the work im sure he can supply and fit the appropiate mats.

He sends out very good advice here. Im sure youl get a top job from him

Status
Not open for further replies.