What do I need to do to be a plasterer

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Apprentice

So come on then guys and gals, what do you need to do to call yourself a plasterer? I've heard labouring, doing a course, going to college and being an apprentice. Which one is best and why?

ok i will answer, l think the best spreads all started as labourers. a course is ok for the very basics but if you do go on a course then you still need to join a gang and learn from there.

judging by what people say here, you need to labour for at least 42 years, listen with at least 3 ears for 29 hours per day and then pretend you're a plasterer for another 108 years then you might be ready to patch up a 3inch square hole in someones bedroom.

Personally I'm just gonna keep practicing and hope I become half decent within the next couple of years. But then I am 164 years old.

turk youve had youre heart broken cause weve told you wankers you cant go on a two week course and earn good money .........sorry sweethearts :-*............its hard work ..........you lot dont like it ;D ;D ;D

spunky said:
turk youve had youre heart broken cause weve told you (german person)s you cant go on a two week course and earn good money .........sorry sweethearts :-*............its hard work ..........you lot dont like it ;D ;D ;D

Ha, I love hard work, that's what you get from working in an office for 12 years, when you finally get out you realise what you've been missing!

I reckon some of you are just scared of us nicking your work cause you've slogged away for 40 years. ;D

office work for 12 years eh, so your a ccc. as for nicking our work, carry on mate, we get paid to put your work right :D

Turk said:
I reckon some of you are just scared of us nicking your work cause you've slogged away for 40 years. ;D
Yeah, deffo some professional jealousy going on. For Christ's sake you can qualify as a commercial airline pilot from scratch after a 12 month course, as an army officer after a year in Sandhurst and learn a foreign language on a 6 week crash course. Someone will be telling us next plastering a wall involves more hand/eye coordination than flying a Boeing 737. ::)

The Apprentice said:
So come on then guys and gals, what do you need to do to call yourself a plasterer? I've heard labouring, doing a course, going to college and being an apprentice. Which one is best and why?
A wise old plasterer once said to me (my Dad) If you need to ask the question then you will truly never know the answer...........so i never asked .............an still don't know the answer,,,,he died before he could tell me............

warriorupnorth said:
The Apprentice said:
A wise old plasterer once said to me (my Dad) If you need to ask the question then you will truly never know the answer...........so i never asked .............an still don't know the answer,,,,he died before he could tell me............
;D ;D ;D

Turk said:
spunky said:
turk youve had youre heart broken cause weve told you (german person)s you cant go on a two week course and earn good money .........sorry sweethearts :-*............its hard work ..........you lot dont like it ;D ;D ;D

Ha, I love hard work, that's what you get from working in an office for 12 years, when you finally get out you realise what you've been missing!

someone else mentioned this a while ago .........'he wont teach me cause he's scared of me going into the system '........he probably didnt want to teach him because he was either a shite labourer or he did his head in ........its youre life mate get into it what you coursers dont realise are the bare bone facts ........were trying to help if you dont learn it properly youll get kicked off of every single site you go on and get a bad reputation

spunky said:
Turk said:
spunky said:

someone else mentioned this a while ago .........'he wont teach me cause he's scared of me going into the system '........he probably didnt want to teach him because he was either a (german word)e labourer or he did his head in ........its youre life mate get into it what you coursers dont realise are the bare bone facts ........were trying to help if you dont learn it properly youll get kicked off of every single site you go on and get a bad reputation
Spot on IMO.

I'm only jacking with you anyway. I have only done a weeks course, I admit it, and I would never call myself a plasterer yet. But I can do the basics and I'm enjoying it, so I'll just work my way up from there.

Hopefully one day I'll be good at it, if not then tough t*ties!

At the end of the day a course is the very basics and thats just a bit of boarding and skiming! Yea its a start but how
sad is that skiming day in day out,you'd soon get bored of that for me personaly be like working in a poxy office day in day out! I my-self started as genral labourer then plasterers mate and been plastering myself for 7 years now,And only now can i take pride in ALL areas in plastering to a high standard and yea even so im still learning! But as some one else said we will have more work coming in - To put right the work the course bods do Its like a mate ov mine hes a blinding tiler up and till recently he was putting a lot of work the polish bods were doing Basicly its a question of standards and experience and that takes years to aquire So best of luck ;)

Ive just gone back into the trade labouring and at 41 and being a truck driver for the past 16 years the first couple of weeks were hard work,been there a month now lost half a stone and enjoying it,only way to learn is on the job experience in my opinion.......

Status
Not open for further replies.