What’s your plans??

Members online

No members online now.

Cornelius

So I’m 35 now and I think I’m experiencing some sort of premature mid life crisis thing, just finished another unsatisfactory day at work. Just completely bored of it all now, but I can’t be bothered to go on my own again and spend all my time thinking about work and jobs.

I spend a lot of time thinking about alternative careers but Plastering is the only thing I’ve got going for me skills wise. I’d have to completely start from scratch to do anything else.

Just wondering what the other folk on here got planned for the future? Perhaps you’re going to get a spray machine, take more guys on? Downsize? Venture into rendering, fibrous or screeding? Happy doing what you’re doing? Site management course?

Think I need a plan and need something fresh to occupy my mind.

So I’m 35 now and I think I’m experiencing some sort of premature mid life crisis thing, just finished another unsatisfactory day at work. Just completely bored of it all now, but I can’t be bothered to go on my own again and spend all my time thinking about work and jobs.

I spend a lot of time thinking about alternative careers but Plastering is the only thing I’ve got going for me skills wise. I’d have to completely start from scratch to do anything else.

Just wondering what the other folk on here got planned for the future? Perhaps you’re going to get a spray machine, take more guys on? Downsize? Venture into rendering, fibrous or screeding? Happy doing what you’re doing? Site management course?

You're questions could be anyone's really.
Are you financially stable enough to ditch plastering and try something else? Grass ain't always greener on the other side of the fence tbh.

I had been planning on looking to get a van and go halfers with a mate of mine. Weve talked about doin our own work for a while, but neither of us can be f**k*d with stress, or outlay atm of paying for a decent van and kitting ourselves out fully. Especially now marriage is in severe difs, as ill hada get me own place an that. Ideally, if things was still good with the missus my plan was to get set up on my own, (realistically, probably be subbing work with odd jobs of our own in between) and iv a few grand saved was gona put into a rental property and ideally if things kept going would tru and add another house or 2 to lease out over next few years,getting steady income top up, but more to sell for lump sums when it gets to retirement age. But not really sure now, what the f**k to do and thats the truth.

It w
Going it alone is great if you don't charge day work
Works better if there is a few of u and ur making a few quid of each man. Like boy we work for, he does lot of time work, 6 men working for him so of he makes 20-30 a man on top of his wage for the day, hes doing ok.

I've come to the conclusion this is me now!

Never out of work, earn good money & in theory an work when I want.

My big failure is how I deal with or don't as the case is with stress. Every little detail bother me and find it more of lifestyle than a job.

Like everyone else I probably do a full week on tools then t least another 10hrs a week pricing, fetching gear etc.

Never found the right balance yet!!!

True. Probably will stay just a dream and i’ll be chucking mud till I’m 80 haha
Nah, mate go for it, worse can happen is you won't make a dime but at least you tried. Trouble is every man and his dog at it nowadays so it's difficult to pick up a cheapo house. Lot of them doing HMO or SA better money but more hassle

33 now and mortgage free, not from plastering mind and no not anything dodgy haha.

My plan is to get another property to renovate and sell and the dream
Is to do that full time.

Can only dream of being mortgage free.... got two of the bastards now

I had been planning on looking to get a van and go halfers with a mate of mine. Weve talked about doin our own work for a while, but neither of us can be f**k*d with stress, or outlay atm of paying for a decent van and kitting ourselves out fully. Especially now marriage is in severe difs, as ill hada get me own place an that. Ideally, if things was still good with the missus my plan was to get set up on my own, (realistically, probably be subbing work with odd jobs of our own in between) and iv a few grand saved was gona put into a rental property and ideally if things kept going would tru and add another house or 2 to lease out over next few years,getting steady income top up, but more to sell for lump sums when it gets to retirement age. But not really sure now, what the f**k to do and thats the truth.
You’d be better off setting up on your own and going halves on a flat. Partnerships rarely work. One will always put more in than the other or feel like they do.

I'm converting my loft in July extra bed and bath then should be able to remortgage about 100k then off to the auctions to do a property or two

33 now and mortgage free, not from plastering mind and no not anything dodgy haha.

My plan is to get another property to renovate and sell and the dream
Is to do that full time.
No one ever got rich from dreaming, takes balls to take the plunge, I'd do it mate just never over expose yourself and make sure you got a few quid incase s**t goes sideways

That’s been my mindset for the last 10 years. I’ve made the mistake of thinking work hard and something would come my way but you’ve got to go out there a grab it if change is what you want.

years ago i learnt off a pal , he hated going to work he was a docker. he educated himself in art so by buying and selling paintings he could earn a very good living without going to work. he finished up in a huge house in a good area of Colchester, he owned a few shops which he rented out. we would carry out the maintenance for him on his properties.
just before he died he asked me to order him a plain tomb stone in black with just his name on it. i told his wife but she had asked the couple of queer boys next door to sort out a tomb stone for him, so later on i called in to the cemetery to have a look at this tomb stone. there was angles, swags and flowers all hanging off of it so you don't always get what you want !

i do trade in Danish porcelain , it is an easy business which i can run very low overheads, leave it for a few weeks, then if i run slack on plastering in winter , make myself a few grand. when i do retire from plastering i can still earn myself some cash. these things are good back up plans.

You’d be better off setting up on your own and going halves on a flat. Partnerships rarely work. One will always put more in than the other or feel like they do.
I agree with the sentiment, fully, but both us are good mates and work well together. Both know we get out what we put in and have been alright when weve taken on jobs of our own. Neither of us are too greedy. A few bob extra and its more of being able to just blast away ourselves is what we want. But again whether or not we do ot not, did story.

do other jobs. between site work iv been dropping on and helping a builder i know. Learning new things, its alot more relaxed than plastering (all private work) and a break from throwing muck on walls day in day out.

Done pointing, fitting sash windows, two new roofs, stonework and cutting/fitting mullions for windows. The work is slower than what we do, lots of brews your not racing a setting time all day. Then after a few months of that i drop back on a big job plastering and blast it out make some real money.

do other jobs. between site work iv been dropping on and helping a builder i know. Learning new things, its alot more relaxed than plastering (all private work) and a break from throwing muck on walls day in day out.

Done pointing, fitting sash windows, two new roofs, stonework and cutting/fitting mullions for windows. The work is slower than what we do, lots of brews your not racing a setting time all day. Then after a few months of that i drop back on a big job plastering and blast it out make some real money.
I'm out a few days a week with Larry @ imago from September for that very reason, learn a few bits and have a bit of a change.

I got my fingers in all sorts but essentially I do do ok from the internet... different kind of stress though

I'm out a few days a week with Larry @ imago from September for that very reason, learn a few bits and have a bit of a change.

u do right mate.
A lot of satisfaction comes from being good at plastering but at the end of the day a walls a wall. Internal or external. U can burn yourself out on it especially if your grafting meters.
Break it up with learning something new when u can

I won't go back plastering full time that is for sure....

Rather strip cars and bikes for a living than do that again
I could quite happily strip cars or more likely bikes and sell for parts on eBay or the like. Do you do that often Danny? Any particular cars/bikes you do? Do you make good money?

I agree with the sentiment, fully, but both us are good mates and work well together. Both know we get out what we put in and have been alright when weve taken on jobs of our own. Neither of us are too greedy. A few bob extra and its more of being able to just blast away ourselves is what we want. But again whether or not we do ot not, did story.
Money is the root of all evil, divide families, ruin marriages and friendships. I only know of 1 partnership work in my time and they slag each other off to f**k but their successful. Wish you all the best Simon, but money makes people act f**k**g strange

Money is the root of all evil, divide families, ruin marriages and friendships. I only know of 1 partnership work in my time and they slag each other off to f**k but their successful. Wish you all the best Simon, but money makes people act f**k**g strange
Maybe wont come to anything at all. But thanks bud

A little rain helps us grow Buddy, its good to reflect on who we are and where we are ... perfectly normal for any job. Apart from 2 years in the states doing rough framing, and 3 years off after a breakdown i'm in my 42nd year at this game ..... my old man is 86 and reskimmed a stairwell for a mate of his last year, was in his element ... been a spread all his life, weighs just under 9st now and is still as fit as a butchers dog.

Maybe wont come to anything at all. But thanks bud
Go it alone, get a cheap runabout. Rent a 2bed flat, bedroom each for you and the little man. Within 2 years your cheap runabout would’ve been scrapped and you’lol have a 5/6 grand van paid for and on your way to getting a mortgage. Get your mate to help you out on weekends with anything that’s to big for you. When the times right see if he wants to come and subby for you. Dog eat dog world out there.

That’s been my mindset for the last 10 years. I’ve made the mistake of thinking work hard and something would come my way but you’ve got to go out there a grab it if change is what you want.
I think my setback last year really took its toll, but I try and keep my head down and work hard. Maybe enough time has passed now and I’m starting to get restless, little ideas popping into my head. Grass is greener style thinking I guess. But there’s this nagging feeling I’m not fulfilling my potential somehow.

I think my setback last year really took its toll, but I try and keep my head down and work hard. Maybe enough time has passed now and I’m starting to get restless, little ideas popping into my head. Grass is greener style thinking I guess. But there’s this nagging feeling I’m not fulfilling my potential somehow.
Exactly how I feel. Without employing a few lads and all the hassle that comes with that I don’t think I’ll get any bigger and better at Plastering now. Think thats why I’m at a turning point. Don’t want to just plod on now and get stale.
A new challenge excites me!!

I could quite happily strip cars or more likely bikes and sell for parts on eBay or the like. Do you do that often Danny? Any particular cars/bikes you do? Do you make good money?

I do it whenever I build a lot car... the last one was an mgf and that made about £2k after costs (I paid £700 For the car) I also kept engine wheels and look for the kit car.

I've come to the conclusion this is me now!

Never out of work, earn good money & in theory an work when I want.

My big failure is how I deal with or don't as the case is with stress. Every little detail bother me and find it more of lifestyle than a job.

Like everyone else I probably do a full week on tools then t least another 10hrs a week pricing, fetching gear etc.

Never found the right balance yet!!!
You never will zom

If I could renovate 2 houses a year I'd be happy, won't make me rich but would give me a 6 month break from customers a year and a bit of variety

Think only thing that will change my life is six numbers coming in. I.m enjoying job again now necks sorted but dont want to be doing it till retirement . Think another ten years when little legs can look after his sen i.ll just get a dead end job let someone else have stress.

Other thing is inheritance . Might have a few quid but prefer that to come as late as poss to be fair . Thought bout getting another house but heard to many horror storys.