Wet dashing this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianspreader

Hello everybody, this week I am mainly wet dashing/roughcasting . I have never done this but am working with a experienced plaster of 40 plus years who's method is scratch,float the wall, lightly key with nailed float while wet,when dry throw aggregate with cement over backing.does any one else do it this method or how else do you do it cheers ian

thats about right if he,s been at it 40 years he is doing something right you might learn a few tricks of him

Hello everybody, this week I am mainly wet dashing/roughcasting . I have never done this but am working with a experienced plaster of 40 plus years who's method is scratch,float the wall, lightly key with nailed float while wet,when dry throw aggregate with cement over backing.does any one else do it this method or how else do you do it cheers ian
everyones methods are different. ive never tried above but i usually just 1st coat and scratch the whole building 1st then 2nd coat and hit when firm(but not dry). wet dash is a nightmare at the best of times but good luck trying to get the alls to take up in the middle of january

Ya can write about it all day, but you'll only learn by doing it & watching the old dog. Just listen to him :RpS_thumbup:

Just a word of warning, his mix will contain a lot of lime ( binder to make the slurry sticky). Wear overalls, gloves and a face cover with eye protection ( safety glasses).

Tends to be a meesy job and if you get the slurry on your skin, or in the eye.....it will not be a pleasant day.

Happy casting, in Scotland I think they refer to it as harling.

I love wet dash, its great when the splash back sets on your overalls and you slowly soldify F'ck me is a sh1tty job alright

Just a word of warning, his mix will contain a lot of lime ( binder to make the slurry sticky). Wear overalls, gloves and a face cover with eye protection ( safety glasses).

Tends to be a meesy job and if you get the slurry on your skin, or in the eye.....it will not be a pleasant day.

not entirely true, we call dry dash-harling and wet casting-wet dashing

Good advice! You will be a walking cement cast at the end of the day hence the name splatterdash! Wear goggles!

i like wet dashing. its a doddle aswell. much easier than dry dashing. just get your mixes right. scratch with waterproofer. lay a lift on in 2 coats and just trowel flat, edge if u really feel the need, and dash. it sticks when wet and when firmed up a bit so you get a lot more time with it. same as with dry dash it can slump. but you cant really go wrong

Cheers for the top advice again lads appreciate it, yer I should listein to him he has been plastering since he was 15 (and is now turning 61 lol) done a 5 year apprentischip at hammer smith with stagg and Pegg teaching him but the main reason is because he is my uncle just trying to get the better of him lol

Feckin weather forecast is b*ll***s . Wet dashing in kirkby londsdale started off cracking flags all going well then oh **** the heavens well and truly opened at 12 and didn't stop till 4 had it dashed by 1:30 then spent next three hours babysitting it. I need beer

Got a house to reroughcast, guys that did it ( from Motherwell) put the k-rend dash receiver on most of the house then came back the following week to roughcast it..

Trying to talk guy into over coating dash cos it's onto hpx base and don't fancy takin that off..

This K-Rend pre bagged roughcast, do I take it, it is a wet dash pre mixed and coloured?

Apply a base render and when stiffened a bit then K-Rend wet dash over it? Anything good or bad about it?

This K-Rend pre bagged roughcast, do I take it, it is a wet dash pre mixed and coloured?

Apply a base render and when stiffened a bit then K-Rend wet dash over it? Anything good or bad about it?
Great stuff rigsby, however you should batch enough up first to do area your casting,not every bag has same in it ( I find) better wetter than drier or it goes on like grapes..sore on the skin though bud..

We used sterling white roughcast and went on fine but agree has got to be wet tho when it dried saw tiny shrinkage cracks! Rung Steve Logan at k rend and he says perfectly normal tho I don't seem to get this in my own brew? Saying that every time I've rung k rend about cracks they say it's normal?? That's why I went onto pral m

Status
Not open for further replies.