Weber render gone wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

wozafax

Hi everyone.

I've recently had a company in to render the outside of the house using Weber Pral.M

They applied it by hand and I thought it was all going well until I returned the next day and found dark patches, areas that appeared 'smooth' and lighter than the rest of the render. I've uploaded some photos and would be very grateful if anyone could tell me why this has happened?
https://picasaweb.google.com/106792245401899471834/26September2011

The company have agreed to redo the front of the house but as yet I've had no answer on the side. They did try to fix the problem by using an acid solution and a pressure washer, which was advised by the company who make Weber, but it didn't make any difference.

I'm absolutely gutted as it didn't come cheap and I've spent a fortune renovating the house. I would just like to know why it has happened and if it's likely to happen again when they redo it.

Many thanks

Warrenhttp://www.netweber.co.uk/renders-d.../products/monocouche-renders/weberpral-m.html

unfortunatley thats one of the problems of hand application basicly the marks you can see is where they have applied a coat which has pulled in and then gone over the top of it and when scratched back rubbed back to the first coat causing the effect you can see there halos goto be quick appliying mono especially weber

No it was dry when they did the side wall, which has the brown marks.

However on the front they put a scratch coat on in the afternoon and rendered the next day. It was dry when they applied it but when they came back to scratch the Weber off it was raining heavily.

They used a sand and cement scratch coat, I think. But that was only on the existing brick work. They just rendered straight onto the new extension.

I believe they mixed it in a tub with one of those things you attached to a drill, again I''m not sure. Sorry I don't know the technical terms for these things!

well theyve got somat mixed in with it and as i said before looks like theyve blinded it out first with a thin coat then gone over it to build thickness out instead of building out thickness as they go top and bottom of it is theyve not got it on quick enough

To salvage the job firstly dont let those cowboys anywhere near the property anymore and employ someone who has a few previous jobs you could see first and some good references.

Then you need to tidy up all the beadwork and angles so they are true plumb and flush. They should not have abrupt steps in level where they meet or should there be noticeable bends in the finished line.
Go over the lot with a thin coat of adhesive like weber lac incorporating mesh and then finish this with a self coloured textured topcoat . Consider the stuff u ad done a basecoat and bite the bullet to get it put right. you will never repair the render that they have applied and paint wont help either

To salvage the job firstly dont let those cowboys anywhere near the property anymore and employ someone who has a few previous jobs you could see first and some good references.

Then you need to tidy up all the beadwork and angles so they are true plumb and flush. They should not have abrupt steps in level where they meet or should there be noticeable bends in the finished line.
Go over the lot with a thin coat of adhesive like weber lac incorporating mesh and then finish this with a self coloured textured topcoat . Consider the stuff u ad done a basecoat and bite the bullet to get it put right. you will never repair the render that they have applied and paint wont help either

i was gonna try an ease into it nice and gently , so as not to cause the guy any more heartache, but yep that's pretty much it in a nutshell

Omg that is shocking...Definitely looks like they haven't got on it quick enough, can see all the nail float marks looking at it where there trying to scratch back to late.....

theyve scratched it to early at the bottom, when its been 'green', and on some pictures there misses where they havnt gone over it when scratching up.pretty much echo all said above though,unfortuantly youve chosen a right motley crew there.
did you see them using any mesh on the window heads etc?

"you will never repair the render" :RpS_crying:
I think I might actually cry!

I've not paid him, but I did buy the weber myself.
He's a friend of the family who came recommended. Which make this very awkward!
He also had another guy helping who says he has used Weber many times before. Starting to doubt that now.

I really appreciate your replies. Even if it has confirmed my worst fears. I think I'm going to find a stiff drink and work out what to do next.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

never has the phrase 'out of your depth' been more apt for these set of lads.if they have anything about them theyll give you your money back for materials at least.Theres plenty of good renderers about,if you let lads on here know where your from theyll be someone in your neck of the woods that can offer advice up.
im affrad youll have to put it down as experience,although that might be easy for me to say, it isnt my house.

Another problem solved and another problem gained I would definitely go with a gang who sprays it on with a job like this a good gang will have it done in no time and i am not bias as i dont have a machine just seen it done on site.

If he didn't know what he's doing he should've left it alone this is a good example of why you don't practice on other peoples houses incase any of you cocky shits who did a course are reading this

I'm going to ring around a few places tomorrow. I'm in Ilkley, West Yorkshire if anyone reading this can maybe help.

Thanks again everyone.

mono work can bite you in your arse if you dont know what your doing plus you have to stand the cost of materials if it goes tits up.

Hey sorry to hear about the house ... its not good (and I have very little clue about weber)

I will just repeat all whats been said....

But if Owls is near you maybe he could help you out as I have heard he knows his beans :)

Let us know how you get on and good luck

Danny

You have all the info from th boys already.

the marks between the two coats are sometimes refferred to as HALO rings because they often come through as circles where one patch of the top layer has been scratched back too far exposing the lower coat and the edge shows up like a sore thumb, common with hand application especially with weber as it goes off quicker than the others.

it is cosmetic only but still I would not accept it.

the brown marks look like damp but it is hard to say with the angle of the pic.

get the acrylic texture over the top every time in this situation, weber should be able to supply it in the same colour as what you have there

Give me or owls a bell if you don't get sorted , click on the link my no is on there and maybe some pics of how that stuff should look

Primer then coloured acrylic thin coat straight over the top 1.5mm grit covers a multitude of sins (bloody hell just looked at photos) dont pay them a penny... its a learning curve for them... teach them not to do it again... they have just lost a few days labour... as the other lads says treat this as a basecoat... albe it expensive...:RpS_mad:

Last edited:
Sand cement base coat lol wonder whos idea that was .

If extension half brick half block use mesh an gray backing coat.. this ensures adhesion and consistent suction between the two substrates .

Block work apply two coat , as you move down flight on scaffold chop dry line join (if dried a little) stops ghosting line in finish

I only ever scratch back once. never try fix your only make it worse.

As people said paint that section an try avoid a chancer

Status
Not open for further replies.