Weber pral m

Members online

FourFoxAche

Hello everyone.... Had the front and gable end rendered with weber this week. Have a couple of questions regarding appreance. 5 l the front looks relatively flat to the naked eye until the sun is directly on it and it looks like a golf ball and really not flat at all. Is this normal? And more worryingly there are small cracks appearing on the gable end and big patches of hollow sounds when I tap it. The front had all the old render removed but the gable he just put on mesh m, undercoat then render. Any advice would be great before I speak to the renderer. As I've not paid him yet and he wants cash lol.

Hello everyone.... Had the front and gable end rendered with weber this week. Have a couple of questions regarding appreance. 5 l the front looks relatively flat to the naked eye until the sun is directly on it and it looks like a golf ball and really not flat at all. Is this normal? And more worryingly there are small cracks appearing on the gable end and big patches of hollow sounds when I tap it. The front had all the old render removed but the gable he just put on mesh m, undercoat then render. Any advice would be great before I speak to the renderer. As I've not paid him yet and he wants cash lol.
If you haven't paid him talk to him and let him put job right .
Sunlight hmmmm
Cracks bad hmmm

It is called glancing light and when the sun is at a particular angle to the wall. A perfectly flat wall will look bad as the slightest undulation will cast a shadow. Down lighters will do the same.

As for hollow patches? Was it put on old render? Is it the Weber Pral.m that is hollow or the original remder?

its not a good idea to put weber pral over existing render, it needs a good key and sound substrate.
also i would not have used a reindeer for the job.

Thanks for the replies, yes the side that is hollow sounding is all new Weber pral m,
It is called glancing light and when the sun is at a particular angle to the wall. A perfectly flat wall will look bad as the slightest undulation will cast a shadow. Down lighters will do the same.

As for hollow patches? Was it put on old render? Is it the Weber Pral.m that is hollow or the original remder?
the hollow sounding wall is weber pral m. the guy meshed over the old render, used some weber unercote of some sort and then rendered over the top. I will try to upload some photos. I never knew about the "glancing light" so will google it thanks. with regards to the blown weber, will it all have to be hacked off? or is it repairable?. thanks Neil

Attachments

• IMG_20190531_203104.jpg
    IMG_20190531_203104.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 560
Not the best photo sorry, looks worse in real life. Also have a couple of strange circles. Are those halo from where they have removed to much of the top coat? And is that something that can be fixed easily? Really annoyed as its not been cheap and I was kind of expecting a new house, flat wall effect. Thanks

What was it for cash Neil?
He wants paying in cash yes, he's coming back tommorow to take a look at the cracks, they're is a section about 3 square metres that sounds totally hollow when tapped. Can it be patched? Appreciate the comments as I don't want to be ripped off, or left with a substandard finish.

Seen worse but the finish isnt great. Looks like it was rubbed up too wet
Stick a straight edge bead to bead i bet it has hollows all over it.

But if it looks good 23.5 hours a day...

Seen worse but the finish isnt great. Looks like it was rubbed up too wet
Stick a straight edge bead to bead i bet it has hollows all over it.

But if it looks good 23.5 hours a day...
There are scrape/swirls all over it, looks like you can see where they have scrapped off. Interesting you should say that they did it too early. As they turn up at about 7 and are done by 3. Is 8 hours long enough to put it on and scrape it back? It was also raining on and off the whole day they did the front. Which I thought was a bit of a no go with rendering????

The rain hitting the wall wont help, can cause colour runs and actually stain the render a different colour.

8 hours isnt too quick if its ready. Hard to say there are so many variables.

I would guess it was rubbed up just slightly too soon, been forced open, which has caused some render to be dragged off leaving hollows. Which in turn look like a golf ball in the sharp light.

There are scrape/swirls all over it, looks like you can see where they have scrapped off. Interesting you should say that they did it too early. As they turn up at about 7 and are done by 3. Is 8 hours long enough to put it on and scrape it back? It was also raining on and off the whole day they did the front. Which I thought was a bit of a no go with rendering????

Ok that's good to know. So what's the solution? Or do you just have to live with that kind of finish?

I've been to a job with blown Weber.

Patched it to pretty much 100%, BUT it did need to be painted afterwards to complete the blend. The peoples original job and on the majority of the house wasn't the best. Water got in behind from some badly designed copings.

Been back since the painting, and it looks bang on.

As for your halos, bumps misses and the rest of it.......

It'd be quicker going over the whole thing if you can get a sound base. Or even think about thin coat silicone or acrylic over it?

Also both sides are covered in these.......

Attachments

• IMG_20190603_171709.jpg
    IMG_20190603_171709.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 280
  • IMG_20190603_171651.jpg
    IMG_20190603_171651.jpg
    9.5 MB · Views: 403
It looks to me like it has been rushed. To get an all over even colour you could use an equalising paint. Rendit in Doncaster sells it. But the paint will not cure the bumps.

Was the gable wired? As the mesh you mentioned was it expanded metal lathing? Fixed first then a pre rend applied? If so it could have not been pushed through to the background.

Apart from the hollow area which needs repairing you could consider having a thin coat system with an acrylic finish over it. It will save the mess of doing it all again.

It looks to me like it has been rushed. To get an all over even colour you could use an equalising paint. Rendit in Doncaster sells it. But the paint will not cure the bumps.

Was the gable wired? As the mesh you mentioned was it expanded metal lathing? Fixed first then a pre rend applied? If so it could have not been pushed through to the background.

Apart from the hollow area which needs repairing you could consider having a thin coat system with an acrylic finish over it. It will save the mess of doing it all again.
Hi Rigsby,

the mesh they were using was like a fabric of some sort as it came on a roll, thin and white and it was sort of stuck on with the weber undercoat then left to go hard. they did paint the house with some kind of smurf s**t blue paint before they applied anything else. But the end result is the same, will see what he says and give him the chance to rectify it. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Rigsby,

the mesh they were using was like a fabric of some sort as it came on a roll, thin and white and it was sort of stuck on with the weber undercoat then left to go hard. they did paint the house with some kind of smurf s**t blue paint before they applied anything else. But the end result is the same, will see what he says and give him the chance to rectify it. Thanks for the advice.
Jesus surly they didn't use Feb Blue Grit on the outside? They've definitely not used Weber mesh (pink), not that that would cause a fail at this point.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year..... they’ll be loads of these sorts of post cropping up on here now until October of bodged render jobs.. same every year since I’ve been on here, 10 years now.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year..... they’ll be loads of these sorts of post cropping up on here now until October of bodged render jobs.. same every year since I’ve been on here, 10 years now.

yup shite render jobs all over the UK

Thanks for all your posts and comments and a special Thank you to "Mr White" who gave me some sound advice and plenty of info about what had been done so badly. the guy held his hands up and agreed the job hadn't gone to plan, so at least I didn't End up out of pocket as well. Those photos were taken less than 2 minutes apart.... so should be no problem getting back to my blue grit basecoat in no time lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20190604_124436.jpg
    IMG_20190604_124436.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 352
  • IMG_20190604_100112.jpg
    IMG_20190604_100112.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 326