Weber lac basecoat

Members online

Cornelius

evening gents, with the Weber lac base coat i coat the gear on an bed in mesh then second coat wet on wet to achieve 6mm , my only confusion is do I rule off with a serrated spat/edge or not bother? There are so many render brands and systems I'm not that knowledgeable with some of it

Serrated Rule off first coat I mean, second coat just tight skim to cover the mesh and spat off flat?

evening gents, with the Weber lac base coat i coat the gear on an bed in mesh then second coat wet on wet to achieve 6mm , my only confusion is do I rule off with a serrated spat/edge or not bother? There are so many render brands and systems I'm not that knowledgeable with some of it

Is this ewi?

If so then everyone has their own way.

I use a serrated swiss trowel to maintain an even thickness and lightly bed the mesh in, then spat it flat. Depending on time of year I then put 2 mm on wet on nearly wet then spat smooth or leave it overnight if it is too wet and 2 mm next day.

It was on to aqua panel, I just laid it on about 3mm then bed in mesh and another 3mm skim over the top and flattened with spat. I didn’t use a serrated edge or anything like that, got a final top coat to be finished with a plastic trowel yet. I’ve used the serrated edge method on ewi using the sas prorend basecoat before, but I must admit I don’t feel too confident unless it’s the old faithful sand and cement rendering.

4E4EE352-7ACD-4589-9849-8FCEC93D03D8.png
4E4EE352-7ACD-4589-9849-8FCEC93D03D8.png

The way I understand it (having seen and heard loads of render companies training and advice) the use of a Serrated edge trowel is more a method of ensuring a level amount of basecoat has be applied and having the mesh laid on flat. The basecoat layer needs to be fairly flat or the top coat can show any undulations or marks

Loads of guys sponge the Weber LAC once meshed and topped flat.... other system suppliers just advise levelling and flattening

As always, Rigsby has hit the nail with his earlier post!

Good luck

As rigsby said a lot of people have their own methods, it’s an area of my skill set that needs improving so many brands,finishes different tools etc.

It was on to aqua panel, I just laid it on about 3mm then bed in mesh and another 3mm skim over the top and flattened with spat. I didn’t use a serrated edge or anything like that, got a final top coat to be finished with a plastic trowel yet. I’ve used the serrated edge method on ewi using the sas prorend basecoat before, but I must admit I don’t feel too confident unless it’s the old faithful sand and cement rendering.

We do lot of thin coat now and we spray it on at around 5mm with a serrated edge used
Mesh it and spat it flat
Apply a 1mm lay down coat and spat to finish
There’s tons of thin coat lads down my way now and not a straight edge/spat in sight
This will look dog s**t when the sun pings across it but the agents don’t seem to care!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk