wearing in a trowel

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

messy

I'm considering buying a new finishing trowel which I think might be a Ragini 14" x 4 3/4" stainless steel dished from B&Q trade point (for the occasional skimming job) - is that a good choice -I'm not sure if should be dished?
Could i wear it in by running a sharpening stone along the edges?

Ragni ain't what they used to be, and I would stay away from faithfull cheapos tbh ...what about a marshaltown permashape? Bit dearer but worth it. What finishing trowel do you currently use?

Dished shaped trowels are easier for a beginner to use because the edges won't catch when you're troweling up. You'll just have to remember to overlap the prevoius stroke more to compensate. Even though you're only planning on doing the occasional skimming job, I would advise you to invest in a good quality trowel to begin with. Yes, you can use a sharpening stone to help break it in :)

try that thistle trowel that was linked on here somewhere or an ox trowel there ment to be quite good and i think there only 26 for the 14

I'm considering buying a new finishing trowel which I think might be a Ragini 14" x 4 3/4" stainless steel dished from B&Q trade point (for the occasional skimming job) - is that a good choice -I'm not sure if should be dished?
Could i wear it in by running a sharpening stone along the edges?

I take it your not a plasterer???

The traditional way is to use a new trowel for backing coats, rendering, and troweling up screeds. After time doing this they will be "broken in" and ready to skim with.

This process not only make the edges sharp but rounds off the corners a little and bends the trowel across the width.

You could do all these thing with fine wet and dry and a stone, but IMO its no way near as good.

I told mrs B that she needs a vagina towel ,as i a fed up every time i dry my face the towel in the bathroom stinks of old fish and piss.:RpS_angry:

This hurts to say it Carlos as I was bought up with a tyzack in my hand, those ready to go tyzacks are, well I'll be polite, in my opinion very poor and I would avoid them. The only Tyzacks that seem any good these days are the premier range and they need to be broken in the traditional way.

Ask @Rhys about tyzack
Cheap Chinese monkey metal..

68EE6AB6-15ED-4DC3-AE7E-72C4A86BB2B2-2224-000003663EAF44F9_zps0f7a02bc.jpg

Hardly used, breaking it in with a bit of rendering and definitely broken in.. #6 gone the same way as the last 5.

The old ones were made in Sheffield, the last things to be made in Sheffield were blades about 2 years ago according to the bloke from Neill Tools, he also said there was a bad batch of trowels from Tyzack.
Just shows, my old Premiere double tang is still going strong - Tyzack in their wisdom discontinued them..

Won't be buying another..

Last edited:
started of with tyzack back in the 80s then in late 90s rivets started poping after a couple of weeks so only used marshalltown ss ever since

Status
Not open for further replies.