Waterproof membrane on floor, causing damp in walls?

Janeybob

Hi everyone. Totally new here. I've got an 1840's cottage. Just having the gypsum plaster taken off the walls and replaced with lime plaster in the sitting room as have a damp problem (also removing cement strap pointing and replacing with lime mortar.)

My question is, the floor is solid/earth with a dpm and screeding. The builder is saying that the dpm is causing damp in the bottom of the walls. I think he means the floor is damp, and the moisture is collcting under the dpm then finding its way out at the sides ie up the walls. The bottoms of the walls are damp. Is he likely to be right, and if so what's the solution/options.

Many, many thanks for any information you can provide.

Hi everyone. Totally new here. I've got an 1840's cottage. Just having the gypsum plaster taken off the walls and replaced with lime plaster in the sitting room as have a damp problem (also removing cement strap pointing and replacing with lime mortar.)

My question is, the floor is solid/earth with a dpm and screeding. The builder is saying that the dpm is causing damp in the bottom of the walls. I think he means the floor is damp, and the moisture is collcting under the dpm then finding its way out at the sides ie up the walls. The bottoms of the walls are damp. Is he likely to be right, and if so what's the solution/options.

Many, many thanks for any information you can provide.
Yeah he’s right