water in loft

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ali

i gotta go look at a mates loft tomorrow nite, he rang me tonite and said he has a damp patch showing on his ceiling in bedroom, so he went into the loft and all his insulation is wet, he has droplets of water all along the edges of the felt, the beams are wet and his boxes of junk are all wet, BUT, the roof looks watertight, no daylight showing etc, ive seen the roof from the outside and it looks in good condition, ridges seem ok etc, he says can it be condensation but i cant see there being that much condensation in a loft, especially an insulated one, i reckon a cold loft (with insulated floor not roof) would be more likely to form condensation but surely not enough to soak everything and show damp on the ceiling. cant see as it can be snow piling up and melting so getting in strange places as its got no valleys etc its just a straight forward semi. anyone else seen bad condensation like this?

I've seen some bad ones on an estate round my way, all shallow pitched roofs. Fit tile and soffet vents. Sorted the ones I did anyway.

righto on my way up there in an hour, he just had new fascia an soffits a couple of months ago pvc going over old timber so poss no venting put in.mmmmmm

I'd put a tenner on it being condensation too.

All he needs is a core drill and a few of them circle vent things.

Which reminds me I aint checked mine since I lagged the loft :)

spot on cheers fellas, new soffits and fascia with no venting, new baby so heating on 24 hours a day in this cold snap. thanks

its all down 2 your felt 2 types breatherble & none breatherble most modern roofs have got breatherble membrain put some tile vents in front & back a good roof merchant will tell you how many you need & which type depending on your tiles slate flat or pan tiles they will draw the moisture out :RpS_thumbup:

he has not bothered to empty the de humidifier, he just has it on constant drain into the cavity, he has damp patches on all the walls now tho. ONLY JOKING.

Status
Not open for further replies.