washing up liquid in plaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
they would of meant in render not plaster. insted of like waterproofer ect old school style but iv been told its crap and will make render crack and its only £8-£15 for 5 litres of the proper stuff so.......

As Oasis correctly said they meant in sand & cement render, but fairy liquid will definitely not cause render to crack, that is usually caused by people that take on rendering jobs without the knowledge to do so.
If your doing a job for a paying customer then use a proprietary plasticiser (although if used at the "correct" dose it will still be horrible to use with most sands), but if just doing a job for your self use fairy (just a small squirt) with total confidence. Fairy only works as a plasticiser though not a waterproofer.

Washing up liquid is made up of small air pockets eg bubbles, put it in your mix and you will end up with voids and that will weaken the finished product.

iv only been told about people using the fairy, also read few times on here that it could crack more. why would any one use washing up liquid anyhow over the proper stuff?

The Apprentice said:
Washing up liquid is made up of small air pockets eg bubbles, put it in your mix and you will end up with voids and that will weaken the finished product.
oasis said:
iv only been told about people using the fairy, also read few times on here that it could crack more. why would any one use washing up liquid anyhow over the proper stuff?

Febmix also puts bubbles or voids as you put it Apprentice into the mix that's how it protects to temperatures just below freezing, by allowing the water to expand into the voids as it freezes and not damaging the mixes structure. Fairy only damages the mix if to much is put in, try mixing up a small test batch of S&C with well over the correct amount of Febmix in and see what happens to that. The reason a lot of people like my dad started using Fairy was that they were working for contractors who would only give them the exact amount of Feb to bags of cement required for the job which as I said before is no use to anybody and they couldn't afford anything other than fairy to get the job done, and then realised that fairy in small quantities gives a lovely drop muck with most sands. It's easy to forget how hard plasterers used to have to work for their money and didn't have spare cash to supply Feb on other peoples jobs, that's probably why nearly all the good fast spreads are either of the older generation or were taught by them.

I wouldn't hesate using fairy on internal render used in the right way , don't over dose /dont over mix as Andy says , you use to get a nice suction from it , the problems comes from over mixing and using sh*t blocks that are layed to quickly

you can tell youre all sat on youre fat arses while youre missus goes shopping have you seen the price of washing up liquid ;D.......and before you start we use fairy not the savers value shite.....ya coonts

has anyone here tried chucking a dishwasher tablet in with the mix you never know ???

why cause you have to scrape the excess off in the morning ::)

Febmix also puts bubbles or voids as you put it Apprentice into the mix that's how it protects to temperatures just below freezing, by allowing the water to expand into the voids as it freezes and not damaging the mixes structure. Fairy only damages the mix if to much is put in, try mixing up a small test batch of S&C with well over the correct amount of Febmix in and see what happens to that. The reason a lot of people like my dad started using Fairy was that they were working for contractors who would only give them the exact amount of Feb to bags of cement required for the job which as I said before is no use to anybody and they couldn't afford anything other than fairy to get the job done, and then realised that fairy in small quantities gives a lovely drop muck with most sands. It's easy to forget how hard plasterers used to have to work for their money and didn't have spare cash to supply Feb on other peoples jobs, that's probably why nearly all the good fast spreads are either of the older generation or were taught by them.
[/quote]

Yep your right but its the size of the bubbles that effect the rendering when it freezes, by the way nearly 50 yrs lad and I was trained by an old guy who retired at 65 after I had been with him for 2 years. Each to their own mate not personal or calling your thoughts into question.

Weve been on this one before but ime sorry but apprentice is right and as i said previously the bubbles in fairy are different sizes so the voids are different which makes the morter unstable.
Lucius

Status
Not open for further replies.