Warranties & guarantees on rendering

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryffmoon

Hello,

I am in the process of getting my house rendered. The guy who has quoted has suggested using Weber M Prall.

This will go on a wall that already has insulation so its mainly for keeping the water out and looking pretty :)

I asked him if Weber has any manufacturers guarantee in term of cracking or wear and tear. He said there something like 20 year guarantee, but I think he is just telling me what I want to hear.

He says he is a registered Weber installer.

Surely any warranty should come from him, himself?

A little clarity from a rendering expert would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Hello,

I am in the process of getting my house rendered. The guy who has quoted has suggested using Weber M Prall.

This will go on a wall that already has insulation so its mainly for keeping the water out and looking pretty :)

I asked him if Weber has any manufacturers guarantee in term of cracking or wear and tear. He said there something like 20 year guarantee, but I think he is just telling me what I want to hear.

Thanks

Chris

Welcome :)

There are a fair few render experts on here that will be able to give you a good answer :)

Hello,

Thanks

Chris

20 years!?

The product may last that long or maybe longer but all building works are covered by a 10 year guarantee as standard with the manufacturer if installed via manufacturers guidelines and by accredited installers..

Sorry to say though they aren't worth the paper they are written on!

Hopefully one of the fellas below will be able to shed some more In depth light on the situation..

@owls @Rigsby @plasterjfe

If he's approved by Weber he can offer a Weber backed warranty.
If he isn't, he can still follow there spec to get a product guarantee but I don't find these any use.
Unless there is an obvious product failure like a bad batch being made and used without the renderers knowledge then you won't really have any luck with finding Weber at fault.
Also things like movement cracks are also not covered as this is down to the structure which the manufacturer and installer have no control over.
Even if steps are taken like meshing weak points or even stitching cracks the building can move at any time and this will be greater than the strength of the render thus causing it to crack.
The mesh only reduces chances of this happening not stops it. There is a difference and the installer should make you aware of this.
No if you were to have say cracks appearing in lots of areas weeks months even a year or so later this can indicate a failure in either the product or application.
Get a few quotes and make sure they are written and detailed as to what you will get in terms of product application and aftercare.
If you say what area your in you will find some quality renderers on here to provide a price.
Clarity is always the way forward with jobs like this, be open and honest in what you want and you should get an honest answer.

Yea I'm thinking they have it inside hence why they don't need any outside and a standard render will do.
Just hasn't said it like that.

Its a 10 yrs product warranty

Any warranty against cracking is pie in the sky there is no guarantee that any render won't crack and I can tell you honestly if it does and the system has been installed properly and to spec in the first place them it will not be the render that is at fault but another stress on the walls so therefore no warranty can be called upon.

Last edited:
render will give you the guarantee after the work as been done .well if you have a good render you should have no problem in him coming back and sorting any problems you mite have .but mono on to ewi is not the best of ideas .dont sound right when its scratched up sounds hollow .best to just render prime and texture on to ewi

Weber do a scratch coat called m1, it's designed to go over eps boards.

I'm fairly certain you can only buy it direct from weber.

How I work is I offer a 3-5 year guarantee against application fault or error, ie shelling, or beading problems.

And then inform the customer of webers, which is 15 years, I spoke to the guy directly about 4 months ago.

They will not cover any mono applied at 10mm, which a lot of people seem to be doing around here, obviously stress patches need to be there in the form of mesh, but we full mesh anyway.

Be careful of 3rd party insurance backed guarantees as they are worthless.

A guy around here was using it to swing customers towards using him, I researched it to see if it was worth it and spoke to the insurance firm, basically they won't insure render due to...

It's outside for 365 days a year.

You can't determine 100% why something has happened

The cost of rectifying something costs a small fortune, not like replacing a pane of glass or a broken part on a boiler, it usually needs stripping and re-doing.

Most renders cannot be patched to look like a brand new, fresh wall, so it's not worth it for insurance companies to go down that road.

Render regardless of modern or traditional is basically the same as it always has been.

Aggs from the ground spread on the wall. A good job comes from a good tradesman not from saving money on a quote.

Warranties are for TV's and computers. Render is render. The manufacturers reps have "sold" this idea way above its usage.

Get the best tradesman you can afford that's the best way to go

if you are already unsure of this guy such that you need to seek guidance my suggestion is that he is not the person to do the job for you. You will have no confidence in his work, the finished product and will be looking for any and every little "fault". it will prevent you from enjoying the job so you should get s different contractor in my opinion

as for the warranty, the manufacturers often offer a pass through warranty for the product itself. However if it is not installed in complete accordance with their instructions it will be void. Proving that it was installed by the book is a venture into impossibility. Yes the installation warranty should come from the installer. It is incumbent upon him to offer a product and service which is fit for purpose, durable and of the nature and substance reasonably expected by you as the client.

Render regardless of modern or traditional is basically the same as it always has been.

Aggs from the ground spread on the wall. A good job comes from a good tradesman not from saving money on a quote.

Warranties are for TV's and computers. Render is render. The manufacturers reps have "sold" this idea way above its usage.

Get the best tradesman you can afford that's the best way to go
Punters love a good warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.