Walls have been plastered/ is damp now drying out?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Walls have been plastered/ is damp now drying

looks very much like hydroscopic salts to me....would this be the wall you referenced when asking for advice r.e. kitchen??
dont recall you mentioning a damp problem then...
anyway, yes the wall is drying out, but you dont mention whether the source of the damp has been treated...
if so, was it done by a reputable company?
either way, re-rendering should have been done with an additive that contained salt repellant, you shouldn't be getting salts back through your new plasterwork
that said, properties that have had a damp problem can take anythng up to a couple of years to dry out completely (this is why the water repellant additive added to the render contains a salt repellant)

another thought...if the plasterer carrying out the work is unaware of any previous damp problems, it would be unfair to assume he/she is responsible for subsequent damage/salts, in fact damp or no damp, plasterers are plasterers, not damp proofers, and are not trained to spot damp problems..only different types of background (suction levels etc), so ultimately, if no damp proofing company has been consulted, the responsibility lies with the householder...

;D ;D come on lads its a joke look at the picture upside down ;D ;D

i see dead people :-/

This is not a joke it's a picture I took of the kitchen wall only an hour or so ago.
Yes the wall was wet when all the plaster was first taken off due to an outside overflow pipe leaking. We did not have the wall treated with anything before it was plastered. I am not blaming any-one just want to know what, if anything I should be doing about it.

i rest my case  ;)
sorry...
you can buy salt repellant from any good builders maerchants...smells like batery acid, clear liquid...
its a white crystalline substance yes?? if so its definately salts..rub it off and paint on the salt repellant...its not the same stuff as added to a render mix but should hold back the salts enough for you to paint it, couple of coats may be required...
if you want the pro stuff try the triton damp proof site, not triton the shower people btw..
all thats happening is the air is drawing the moisture out of the bricks into the room through the plaster, the water is bringing with it the salts found in the bricks... be a safe bet youve a solid 9" wall or stonework yes?
anyway, easiest way, is salt repellant, it'll still allow the wall to dry..

Sorry it was so obviously salt, i looked at it so much i could see a fat border collie i thought i was a trick.

an upside down fat border collie at that!!!

just lookin at the other pics on the blog thing...just wondering why you have to remove the back boiler??
why not just disconnect the gas to it? a new modern fire costs around 120 quid...
still that said...heatin engineer/plumber is gonna want 1500 quid just to cap the gas off!!

and as far as the inkblot test goes....isnt that a psycological test?? as in you tend to see what you want to see..
mur...get a woman...
nicksey...you really need to get some help man, i am really havin doubts about you..wots your trowel called???
and as for dogs??? wtf???

didnt anyone see naked women then admittedly they were coverd in salt but i thought theyd been sweeting

if you look really hard you can see the outline of the word 'stella' :p

it's a fucki*ng reindeer thats it yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

helps if you close one eye....i have to do that just to see the keyboard!!!

Ok I was going to have the back boiler removed and a combi boiler put in. I have been quoted about £1200-£1500 to remove the back boiler and fit a combi boiler. It's to expensive at the moment and that's the only gas fire that fits that back boiler ( old council house). I will take on board all your comments especially the ones that are being helpfull.

you can get flueless gas fires these days...
1500 quid to rip the old back boiler out AND supply, fit and connect and new condensing combi is a good quote...a real good quote....bet that doesnt include making good of the fireplace though....another option would be just scrap the fireplace altogether...

looked at the pipework too..looks well dodgy...does your heating work??
im assuming that those 2 pipes are flow an return from/to the boiler...in 15mm??

and its not a reindeer...its a sheep! jumping over a fence...im tired

Trouble is I bought a brand new condensing combi boiler about 6 mths ago, it's still in the box, and it's hard to find a firm that will do the job without supplying the combi boiler themselves, understandable really. The plastering was done by a young local lad some one told us about. Cost me £300 but the walls were in pretty bad shape. I will paint that stuff on you told me about. As for the fire ..I really don't bloody know anymore!
I think I have to have the gas fire to work the back boiler ?? You know everyday,I wish I had married Tommy Walsh.

i take it seein as u got a back boiler u also got a hot water cylinder? means the system is a gravity system, the boiler heats the water in the cylinder..
a combi heats water directly on demand, bit like an electric shower, but gas powered with more flow rate..
to change from a gravity to a combi you need to feed gas to the combi, no problem...connect the combi to the flow and return pipes of your central heating...again, no problem lookin at the pipework, i expect youve old style floorboards upstairs...
you also need to connect a mains cold supply to the boiler, and connect it to the hot water supply to the house...
site the boiler in the airing cupboard upstairs, send the flue through the roof (or through the wall should it be adjacent to an external wall)
couple of system flushes and all should be well..
find a heating engineer to do the job, let him take away any copper removed (cylinder etc)...make good yourself...should be all in for 1000 possibly less...
that said, i aint a heating engineer, i speak just from experience doin houses up etc...and were on the plastering site...food for thought though if your stuck for ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.