wallpaper or whatever the hell it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterroberts

went to start a new job today where the cust had supposedly removed the paper, when i arrive theres a nice dark green band of what i thought was wallpaper, top wall middle of wall and bottom of wall, asked the customer who tells me it wouldnt come off, grab the old faithfull steamer out the van and have a go myself, eventually starts coming off but leaving a black tar like residue on the walls which wont come off, so think sod it gypbond and skim it, when i started skimming just wouldnt sit on it sliding and dragging off, anyone any ideas what the hell this stuff is never come across it before

Could be Pitch paper mate, is it an older property?. Pitch paper was used when dampness was present and has bitumen in it.

I came a cross that pitch **** on a job in Watford a few years back, the wall had gone off and the skim was just sat there on this green band round the top,almost sweating.

yep ive met this awfull stuff same happened to me the whole wall had gone off appart from the band that was like id just laid it on

1900 property so yep its old managed to get rid with a rag and some acetone got rid of it a treat must have been the pitch paper as the backing was like tar/bitumen but why the hell in three bands on the wall

Went over this stuff few years ago and not only did it come through the plaster when dry, when painted you could still see it seeping through. Horrible stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.