Wall Vent

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

filthy

Hi all, there is a wall vent in the room I wil be skimming. I want to remove it as it lets in so much air it chills the room! Question is can/should I and do I need to replace with bricks or would I get away with plasterboard or a piece of ply? The room has a window so I was wondering why the need for the vent anyway. Thanks in advance

Is it on a chimney breast?
Block it up straight away mate because next doors fire fumes could kill you :-0
:RpS_biggrin:

I wouldn't block it up meself as its there for a reason, but if you really want to, use whatever you want brick, block, wedge & screw some timber in & board it.

Is it on a chimney breast?
Block it up straight away mate because next doors fire fumes could kill you :-0
:RpS_biggrin:

I wouldn't block it up meself as its there for a reason, but if you really want to, use whatever you want brick, block, wedge & screw some timber in & board it.

oh no!!!!! dive for cover filthy :RpS_lol:

while youv got the bonding out mate pva inside the vent cut some strips of board so they fit inside the vent and use the bonding to stick them in place filling the vent up then cut a piece of board the same size of the hole then stick that over the top so its flush with the wall then patch:RpS_thumbup:

As steve says fit a louvred on/off as air vents are normally there for a reason. keep it closed then if any problems appear open it again

normally there in a room cos you have a gas fire or something (i know there are other reasons for them) if you dont have a gas fire then block it up is what i say, but someone else will say differently. upto you you mate to be honest

Cheers everyone for advice. Liking the adjustable vent. The vent is stuffed with bubble wrap, so a bit of bubble wrap pop is perfect to while away the hours waiting for the damned bonding on the ceiling to go off!

I had several vents in my rooms in a 1930's house. They were there for the old coal fires apparently. Once I got cavity insulation they became useless apart from blowing dirt into the rooms. As I replaster each room I am filling these vents in. I fill them with bonding. PVA the vent/bonding when doing the wall then skim over. The final result looks like there has never been a vent there. Smooth and flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.