wall insultion

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

henry

Private Member
I have been thinking of insulating the outside of the walls this year with a colour render to suit. I understand I need a
U-value of around 0.35W/m2K). Any advice on which would be the best way forward I mean what insultion board to
use and a middle of the road render system for this works.

if you have a cavity I think 80mm poly will do the job. I am just pricing a re firb job where 80mm is specified to meet current regs

if space is an issue you can use phenolic boards, they give a lower u value for thickness , as for the u value it depends on a lot of things ie, cavity /solid wall /floor construction /windows and doors , as for render any thin coat system is easy enough if your a spread

Thank you both for the information. Been reading a lot on green side of plastering the goverment will keep pushing this know matter what. I have also read
landlords can claim £1500 a year off there tax "Energy Saving Allowance’ (LESA)" when this kind of works have been carried out. So maybe an opening here with landlords saving £1500 every year. The same works can also be carried out on the internal walls instead of external works. A lot of this depends on you becoming a approved contractor what ever that means these days. Those who are not on the global warming band wagon say we will be having colder winters now and with the gas prices getting higher folks may think more on the insultion of walls and just not loft insultion which is just one part of the energy saving industry. Any further input on this would be welcome .

if you can get away with between 80 and 100mm eps then thats what I would use as phenolic does break down over time (ok covered with render it should be ok, I just didnt like the results of the tests we done on it exposed) otherwise around 50 - 60mm phenolic will do it as for middle of the road system do you mean cost? because they are mostly the same spec wise. marmorit and parex have very good basecoats that should never crack but you could go with an off the shelf system to try and save a couple of quid I can get you a german system for a decent price depending on measure that is more or less the same as marmo.

You are right about government enitiative pushing green building but the renders are expensive and at the moment I see alot of back pedaling on plans - money talks eh

jub are reasonable and sell their gear through direct building products. if parex is 70 quid a tub the jub is 40 for an acrylic finish

I have to now
As from 1st October 2010 it is now compulsory to incorporate wall insulation when adding a new layer to an existing solid wall or replacing an existing layer. This applies to internally removing plaster from the walls or rendering/cladding an external wall that is currently not covered or has a covering that needs replacing. The Regulations that govern these actions come under Part L1B of the Building Regulations for England and Wales and they lay down a range of target thermal values to achieve when carrying out any renovation or building work to a solid wall. After paying a small fee the Building Inspector will arrange with you to come out and visit site at various stages of the work to ensure it is done correctly. At a successful completion of work an Approval Certificate is issued which must be kept with your house documents. Well am not a accredited installer what ever that means these days, but what may work to a advantage is an approval certificate would save landlords £1500 every year off there tax bill. I suppose it depends on if they wish to fork out for this work.

how enforcable is this legislaton?
there doing a full house down from me and they aint no insulaton going on.

not that enforcable pal

the gov just want an easy way out and put the onus onto the private customers with solid wall houses. they know its expensive and the grants in england as you know are, well... erm..

Im sure if you offer and they refuse that is that. you tried your best and they took responsibility. summit like that but I dont know anyone who has actually gone through with it. like me and goody mentioned on another post the people we come across who buy these systems of me are well off or out and out green heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.