walking on stilts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pezzab

hi guys,

went for it and bought a pair of 24-40's - anyone got any tips as how to bloody walk on them? feel wobbly as feck

first make sure they are set up as suggested in the instructions or you'll find them very uncomfortable.
find your tipping point by standing next to a wall then lean forwards then backwards till you feel any farther and you'll fall,then side step around the perimeter of the the room,next walk normally around the perimeter making sure you keep your feet apart (very important)and looking where you step and don't drag feet.
try turning around keeping feet apart and making sure you don't tread on the feet.
this should make you feel more relaxed on them which will make them alot easier to use than if you are rigid.
once you feel more comfortable try going across a room where you can reach the ceiling or have someone next to you in case you stumble so you can steady yourself.
again once you're happy try carrying a hawk and trowel.
when getting off lean against a wall ALWAYS undo feet straps first then calf straps (other way round when putting them on)hold on to the tops then step off.
do all this on the lowest height and don't move up till you feel ready,also don't walk into open areas till you feel ready.
so basically keep your feet apart and lift them a little higher than usual.

cheers mate, been walking up and down the hallway and getting a bit better, i notice what you mean about treading on the feet!

just practice on them, after a while it will feel no diffirent than walking without them on but ads is spot on

ADS said:
first make sure they are set up as suggested in the instructions or you'll find them very uncomfortable.
find your tipping point by standing next to a wall then lean forwards then backwards till you feel any farther and you'll fall,then side step around the perimeter of the the room,next walk normally around the perimeter making sure you keep your feet apart (very important)and looking where you step and don't drag feet.
try turning around keeping feet apart and making sure you don't tread on the feet.
this should make you feel more relaxed on them which will make them alot easier to use than if you are rigid.
once you feel more comfortable try going across a room where you can reach the ceiling or have someone next to you in case you stumble so you can steady yourself.
again once you're happy try carrying a hawk and trowel.
when getting off lean against a wall ALWAYS undo feet straps first then calf straps (other way round when putting them on)hold on to the tops then step off.
do all this on the lowest height and don't move up till you feel ready,also don't walk into open areas till you feel ready.
so basically keep your feet apart and lift them a little higher than usual.

instructions for the use of a hop up -

open out legs, engage leg locks, climb on, climb off, climb on climb off, get bored and go get the site manager..

when he comes back, get him to get on the hop up, then get off again, then get him to put the f'ckin stilts on and eat his f'ckin sandwiches...

then ask him why he banned hop-ups but theres people walking round f'ckin building sites on stilts like its a f'ckin circus!

i like hop ups but you spend £30 - £50 for one height. stilts vary so once your used to them i guess they will be better as you can always work at the right hight to ceiling??

had a go on some today, on top setting as im a short arse! quite dodgy but think after a few goes youd get used to them!

pezzab said:
struggling to adjust them, they feel like they are pulling my legs out sideways. any tips?
i used to get that too, if you put them round the other way its better!

pezzab said:
struggling to adjust them, they feel like they are pulling my legs out sideways. any tips?

The top bits needs twisting also when you buckle to top straps make sure the buckle is on the metal that raps round you thigh stops them digging in also leave the feet straps buckled when you take them off so when you put them back on your feet slip in then tighten. When you are adjusting the height to suit the job your doing undo the bolts and put the foot of the stilts on the ceiling, stand below and adjust to suit.

Buckle and strap round thighs only applies to oompa-loompas unless of course you wish to appear that you have soiled yourself ;D.

the bar down the side can be adjusted to stop the feeling of going outwards pull it in tighter to your leg by adjusting the nut by footplate

spunky said:
they will do, can you get the straps round youre toe caps bruce?
yeh no probs but I walk like Frankenstein. With trainers on its just like walkin normal. No good for site though ;)

i have some seriously skinny legs and the bar is across as far as it goes! after walkin round with these on for a while i guess they'll fill out!

pezzab said:
i have some seriously skinny legs and the bar is across as far as it goes! after walkin round with these on for a while i guess they'll fill out!

Are you sure you are moving them the right way ?

since ive had my stilts its always felt like my legs were going \ / but i could never be arsed to figure out how to change them. i'm gonna try it now.

steve cov said:
since ive had my stilts its always felt like my legs were going \ / but i could never be arsed to figure out how to change them. i'm gonna try it now.
bloody hell Ste, you were the one that sent me the link to fixin em as well

i know i know, i only think about it once im on them and then once im off i forget about it. ill do it sometime i promise ::)

steve cov said:
i know i know, i only think about it once im on them and then once im off i forget about it. ill do it sometime i promise ::)

hahahaha I've had mine 17 yrs and I keep saying I'll adjust em at
the weekend. Mine feel like /\ ;D

My mate cant walk on em but I cant use his either

irish_spread said:
steve cov said:

hahahaha I've had mine 17 yrs and I keep saying I'll adjust em at
the weekend. Mine feel like /\ ;D

My mate cant walk on em but I cant use his either

;D
Mine feel like this walking one way // then like this walking the other way \\

Mind you the floor was like this

____
____
____
____
____
____
____
:eek:

I've only had a cheap pair for a month or two. They aint branded, think they're some kinda cheap copy..
needless to say, my feet fcuking hurt like f**k afterwards, particularly on the balls of my feet and the heels. Just done a sloping ceiling today and its taken about an hour for my feet to adjust properly afterwards. Part of me thinks it's something up with the circulation to my feet being blocked, the other that they're just cheap.

So do more expensive stilts feel better? Do your feet still hurt in em afterwards?

twitcher. sounds like your tightening the straps too much. try loosening the straps slightly when the balls of your feet start to ache. common problem in ski boots also.

Status
Not open for further replies.