Victorian walls and chimney breast

Geg2710

Morning all,

first post so hope it’s ok to post in here. I’m currently working in a Victorian house, roof leak on upper floor which has been fixed and made water tight again. However, I have spent a good day stripping back the lining paper which was absolute hell to remove and below left with the sand and cement wall which backs on to brick.
Upper sections of the walls have become quite loose and Sandy to the touch and was wondering how to tackle this for a decent finish?
One corner of the wall had a round, almost like a broom handle set in the wall, which I’m assuming is to give a curved edge?! Strange given the other side is 90o or as 90 as a Victorian wall will ever be

thoughts and advice much appreciated. I’ve attached a couple of photos
Many thanks

Attachments

• B35F380B-131F-43EF-ACE6-C077E9B79CFE.jpeg
    B35F380B-131F-43EF-ACE6-C077E9B79CFE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 269
  • 632E02BC-C45C-4EBA-8DDD-9FFCF36329FA.jpeg
    632E02BC-C45C-4EBA-8DDD-9FFCF36329FA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 222
One corner of the wall had a round, almost like a broom handle set in the wall, which I’m assuming is to give a curved edge?! Strange given the other side is 90o or as 90 as a Victorian wall will ever be
it’s all on the pics why, just call someone to do it,

il do it if your in Brum!!!!

You can spend days getting old wallpaper off in these properties only to then make the decision to hack off plaster back to brick, when deep down, you knew the answer. Just hack the lot off from the start :musculoso: