Victorian brick wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

adunato

Hello,

I'd appreciate some help. Would dri-coat skimmed with multi and (later on) covered with wallpaper work OK with an old victorian brick wall? Below some more info if you feel like reading :) Thanks in advance!

The wall is a 9'' brick wall in my non-listed 1880 flat. The wall is an (internal side of) external one, the internal plaster looks like a traditional lime mortar with horse hair which was covered with painted wallpaper. Once we took out the wallpaper chunks of the plaster came down with it, also there were spots of damp and some mould on the finishing (which looks like multi). The external side has been repointed with cement at some point and there is an air brick on the bottom. The ext wall does not show any obvious sign of dampness (looking and touching it).

As I understand it the best way to prevent damp problems seems to be to let the wall 'breath' and stay away from gypsum. There is good discussion in this forum but I'm still not sure what to use.

I was going for either dri-coat or limelite, but then I hear that cement tends to trap the water inside the wall, and then you get again damp issues, so the only 'good' way to make the wall breath would be to use a traditional lime mortar which is a pain to use and if I'm going to use wallpaper what's the point anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.