Vertical or horizontal screeds?

Members online

No members online now.
Box screeds...vertical first then horizontal for your ceiling...middle and skirting line...then fill in.

No need to do screeds unless the wall has to be plumb?

Just free hand it.

Freehand is never going to be as efficient as using screeds if you're after high quality work.
I've had guys work for me that used the freehand method and although it initially looked like they were roaring the walls on quicker than me, they took roughly the same time overall, seemed to be rushing around more to rule off before the gear pulled in too much and were constantly having to wet up stiff gear they'd ruled off on to the spot board.
Guys often commented on how much I got done without flying around like a headless chicken.

Freehand is never going to be as efficient as using screeds if you're after high quality work.
I've had guys work for me that used the freehand method and although it initially looked like they were roaring the walls on quicker than me, they took roughly the same time overall, seemed to be rushing around more to rule off before the gear pulled in too much and were constantly having to wet up stiff gear they'd ruled off on to the spot board.
Guys often commented on how much I got done without flying around like a headless chicken.
I Love You GIF

there are to many variables to consider what method to use to float a wall.
if high suction i like to give the wall a coat to kill the suction then lay it on. i may rule freehand or i may screed.
on low suction i may put a room on then rule.
i have never seen a plasterer put horizontal screeds up .

The best jobs are when you freehand then get the level out the van afterwards and check it before you go and it's bang on plumb.

Got to be honest I would always try to avoid floating...I'm love dabbing...so quick and clean.

Without stating the obvious, I’ve found that the time I’ve put into learning as much as I can about float and set has made everything else seem easier, even if it’s just straightening out an already wonky wall. I’ll never be putting acres of plaster on in the type of jobs I do, but it’s given me more headroom and feel I can get deal with the majority of situations I’m likely to encounter.