Venetian plaster laquer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike814

Hi everyone,

As mentioned by Robjack on another thread it is possible to use a lacquer instead of a wax to waterproof the venetian plaster.

Question 1. Has anyone tried this before and how did it affect the finish.

Question 2. What lacquer did you use and where is it supplied.

Cheers

Hi Mike,

there are protectors as lacquer look like but their appearance is much different to wax finishes. friend of mine has used some I remember but I would have to ask him which brand he used. I have seen it ones when it was applied but it really did not feet me. wax gives you more natural finish.
regards

Hi everyone,

As mentioned by Robjack on another thread it is possible to use a lacquer instead of a wax to waterproof the venetian plaster.

Question 1. Has anyone tried this before and how did it affect the finish.

Question 2. What lacquer did you use and where is it supplied.

Cheers

Sorry mate. meant to get back to you on this a couple of weeks ago. I recently used watins satin lacquer. They also supply a gloss tin which has more shine. We found that when using the satin it dulled the surface a bit. Tried it on a sample board of the Red mother of pearl and we decided to stick with the natural wax which brought out the colour better. On the ottacento finish which is similar to coduro and aureum I couldnt see a difference in the finish. Put 3 coats on to protect it and it didnt diminish the look of the wall at all. This product is available from bluebell but any other water based lacquer/varnish will do a good job too. The likes of ronseal will be cheaper

Am in the pub having a beer haha great that, ive used several waxes and found the shiny finishes dim slightly, water seal laquers work well on stone and marmorino finishes and dry with a great sheen and hold water back nicely 2. Bees wax and the traditional laqs/soap look more natural, bring out the colours as rob said and are easiar to apply. Trial and error my mate... Am intrested in the gold, chrome and pearlesant waxs if any1 has used them? brief description please are they any good thanks???

Not used golf or chrome wax before but for lacquer you can get glitter comes in different colours and set amounts are mixed per 100ml of liquid. Looks good wheb applied. Makes the finish all sparkly but doesnt look too busy will get a pic of a sample board at some point this week

Status
Not open for further replies.