Venetian isn't drying even...

Members online

No members online now.

WWBRenovation

First time posting in this part of the forum. I'm working in a very old building next to Chartres cathedral in France. At first was contracted to even out a wavy wall. Upon inspection 3/4s of the wall needed tearing down to the brick. Ripped off and rebuilt in NHL 3 lime mortar and sand. Was then asked to paint, explained it had to cure first but tinted lime wash was an option. He came back to me wanting a polished lime finish. Made my 3 decorative passes. Getting ready for the wax and polish but of course the part that I didn't rebuild is sucking the moisture far more quickly that the rest thus it's not uniform in color. I'm thinking about tinting the wax over the light area to add depth. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated, ball busting and ribbing as well.
166a9ece6db14f136ed4ff5aa7f97c2d.jpg
fa9bb46dd338168f39c6466518635df6.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I'd 're do the light side again. Maybe a wet on way coat so the finish drys out more evenly if the sub strate is sucking the moisture out of it. The easier quick fix of tinting your wax should work but maybe worth putting the toned wax onto the light areas first then a coat of clear wax over everything

Thanks for the reply JackRob, I'll try the two wet on wet coats and post results. If I have to use the tinted wax route, won't applying the clear wax over everything dissolve and pull off the wax underneath? Maybe make my clear wax with white spirit as opposed to terpentine so the solvants don't interfere? Cheers.

What was are you using. If I use a cera liquid wax I would apply two coats before buffing anyway. Never had a coat of wax have a problem with a coat underneath.

Terps doesn't work with wax. It breaks it down a little but separated and doesn't mix. If using parrafin wax ( the solidified type) use white spirit to break it down to a gloopy texture. Over here I would only use this for a more waterproof finish which would comply of 2 coats of cera buffed then a coat of paraffin broken down with white spirit followed by a coat of neat parrafin wax

Shoot thanks man. The waxs I was taught to make were always with either terp or ws otherwise broken down in ammonium carbonate for a water based wax that could be either mixed with savon for final soaping and polishing or used as component in Venetian plaster mix. I'll take a look for the product you mentioned. You said a Cerra liquid wax, is that the brand name?

Cera is a name across the board. Normally it's described as a natural liquid wax. I know of one manufacturer that sells a cera wax that is semi synthetic and not a viscous liquid but a firmer wax. Ive never used savon de marseille and its not that common over here anymore.

Hey RobJack, I ended up scraping back the lighter sections and rapid firing on the three coats basically wet on wet, and in the end tinted the wax as well. The client is very pleased. Now I just have to convince him to repaint the kitchen walls in a more suitable color... Thanks again. Will
e60ad3241d060ded78724d74c2d4eac3.jpg

Looks nice and busy Will. Glad you sorted it. I finished a top polish coat on a lid this morning. Had to re do the job after a pipe came loose in the ceiling and flooded it
20171106_115202_001.jpg

Gorgeous work that. You think it was better the second time around? ;) I'm dealing with water damage all over here in Paris region.

Cheers bud. Hard to tell really. I have a consistent trowel movement but I'm sure if I did two exact surfaces one would look better than the other

Do you happen to have any material/tool distributors who ship to France. I can find most base materials and certain tools (my primary tool kit I brought with me from the states) but others can take hours of Internet searches and shipping from the states is outrageous. If I have to, I have family near Marlborough in Greater Bedwyn, I'm willing to take the Chunnel over and haul stuff back with me.

Ask for Andy. He will post overseas. Not sure what shipping costs are though. Might be cheaper to pick them up in a vehicle. Based in Essex. Worth a visit to the unit there. It' a training school, distribution hub and a lovely showroom