Van cost.

• Thread starter Deleted member 23452
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23452

Vans and the options for owning one comes up on here from time to time, so I thought it'd be worth putting up the tale of the tape for mine.

Last of the old shape Vivaro, bought new in 2014 for £11k + VAT. VAT was an in and out job as I'm registered, and the van's all paid off now.

It's now got 48,000 on it, and today it had the second (rear) pair of tyres and its first (front) set of brake pads. It's also had three services, two MOTs (both straight through) a pair of wiper blades and two headlamp bulbs. All of that lot are mileage based maintenance or wear and tear items so would apply whatever make/model/age van it was.

So the cost over four and a half years is a straight out price paid minus value now. The same model and spec (air con, bluetooth etc) are currently going for £7k to £8k on eBay, split the difference and it's £11,000 minus £7,500 = £3,500 divided by 4.5 years = £778 per year cost.

That breaks down to a little under £65 per month, with an option now should I want to for it to be sold or traded in with a value at or around £7,500.

Compare that to a lease vehicle at £250 plus per month, ending up with nothing when you hand it back apart from maybe a bill for going over the mileage allowance. (I'm ignoring paintwork repairs because I could have those too.)

I really don't see how anyone can say that it's better to have a lease van when you look at the costs involved?

I know some people like to have a 'fancy' van, and if that's there thing then fine. All you have to do is scale the figures up accordingly as the more they cost to buy, the more they cost to lease. That said, fcuk paying an extra (at the time) £8k for the same spec Transit, or £12k for the same spec VW. To me my van is just the most expensive tool I own.

You gonna get some work done.
Once worked with a kid and he stopped buyi g a paper and just read mine. When i asked him why he said he worked it out and by no buying a paper that money pays his car tax........i no longer buy a paper

Hell no, it's after lunch on a Friday. :)

On a serious note, I've stopped doing work related stuff on my own time. Well, as much as possible anyway. So when I had to get the tyres and pads done I went this morning instead of running around on the weekend. I've got to go to the chiropractor in a bit, pick some stuff up from the unit, and sort the van out for Monday. All part of the job I'm doing as far as I'm concerned, so it gets done on the clock. (y)

Me and Ni had this discussion a while back. She wanted us to get leased fancier vans but I’m my fathers daughter and I like to buy something reliable that I can pay for outright and I’m not fussed about the look of it so long as I don’t look like a gypo.

This van is four and a half years old now, and for another couple of years it will still be the newest van I've ever owned. I'd always had old but fairly tidy vans, then decided to go new.

Interest rates were and are still very low. So for three years or so I had it on finance through the dealership for £221 a month. Then when it got down to four grand or so and I'd got the money I paid the rest off.

Good job you didn't get a lease van, splitting would have been even more of a hassle then!

If you’re as lucky as you’ve been then it works out nicely.

What if something major happened, cambelt/chain snapped. Head gasket.
Clutch etc. The big stuff isn’t in the warranty.

Personally I’ve always brought vans second hand couple grand. A vans fot work. Id rather a s**t van but a nice car.

Never understood people having a fancy van and massive debt, especially in this filthy trade. Once seen a 20 year old “plasterer” in a 30k transporter. Stupid fucks

If you’re as lucky as you’ve been then it works out nicely.

What if something major happened, cambelt/chain snapped. Head gasket.
Clutch etc. The big stuff isn’t in the warranty.

Personally I’ve always brought vans second hand couple grand. A vans fot work. Id rather a s**t van but a nice car.

Never understood people having a fancy van and massive debt, especially in this filthy trade. Once seen a 20 year old “plasterer” in a 30k transporter. Stupid fucks

All of the stuff you've listed is/was covered with the manufacturer's warranty for four years 100,000 miles. After that it's the same as any other used motor, out of warranty and you have to pay for it.

Anything mass produced can go t1ts up, but at least with having this from new I know it hasn't been overloaded, caned to fcuk, not serviced etc. Every make and model of van will have it's plus and minus points, so it just comes down to getting something that does what you need without spending more than you need.

I'd done exactly the same as you until I bought this one. Most of the time it worked out well as I tend to look after stuff, but sometimes you get bitten.

I'm not saying buying new is a guarantee of trouble free motoring, but it does work out financially and it's a way better idea (IMNSHO) than leasing.

It works out better for new drivers of insurance is included

I've no idea about that, but I'd be suspicious. Neither insurance companies nor lease companies will give anything away, so its got to be being paid for somewhere along the line.

I just don’t trust those warranties. They’ll download the ecu and find a way out of it. No chance they’re warrant a clutch for 100k

Bought Vivaro new back in 2010, gear box went on it outside of warranty, then got written off last year. Wanted Transit custom this time but no way could I afford a new one! Took out 12 grand bank loan for a three year old one.

I personally like having fairly new vans as I don't have and won't ever have a car, also put around 20,000 miles on it a year as it's used for Motocross at weekends. Few people told me to look into leasing but I'll probably not bother from what you lot say!

Will never understand why would any who has the money walks into a showroom buys car/van for cash when interest rates so low, other than it sounds good that you can do it, but for me it all rings alarm bells nothing else.
Lease can be lease purchase or hire purchase not just lease hire, where at the end of the contract you own the vehicle.
I'm sure you're accountant would also able to tell you that for tax reasons leasing a van is a better option in the long run,you can get your vat claimed back at the first payment too, I think only exception when you want to reduce your liabilities towards hmrc for that given year when it makes sense to buy anything outright.
At low interest rates it's always makes sense to finance high value assets even if you have the cash burning your pocket, as you can get that cash working elsewhere and making you more than the interest you pay. But that's just me.

What ever your buying comes of your tax bill, in any case so if your making a few quid a new or newer van makes perfect sense, especially in my case as I'm vat registered.
I buy 2 new transits every 3 years outright, I'll have a look for pre registered ones as that can save you thousands off new list price. I get rid every 3 years as they still have a good amount of value to trade in against 2 more new ones, I then only have to make up the difference and the cycle continues, of hastle free motoring as it's all under warranty.

Will never understand why would any who has the money walks into a showroom buys car/van for cash when interest rates so low, other than it sounds good that you can do it, but for me it all rings alarm bells nothing else.
Lease can be lease purchase or hire purchase not just lease hire, where at the end of the contract you own the vehicle.
I'm sure you're accountant would also able to tell you that for tax reasons leasing a van is a better option in the long run,you can get your vat claimed back at the first payment too, I think only exception when you want to reduce your liabilities towards hmrc for that given year when it makes sense to buy anything outright.
At low interest rates it's always makes sense to finance high value assets even if you have the cash burning your pocket, as you can get that cash working elsewhere and making you more than the interest you pay. But that's just me.
Yep there is some good offers on new vans on the finance,on hire purchase etc.
I've leased before, never again our vans get dirty etc plus they charged me excess mileage.
I just prefer owning outright and I accept it's a chunk of money to have tied up, but it's just how I operate.

For me it's just the way I was brought up, brought up by grandparents who are nearly 80 now so very old school and the philosophy was old school, no debt apart from mortgage and save like crazy to get that gone and it's just ingrained in me. No idea on the tax efficiency etc on all options just know my old dad would shed a tear if I bought a car/van on finance

For me it's just the way I was brought up, brought up by grandparents who are nearly 80 now so very old school and the philosophy was old school, no debt apart from mortgage and save like crazy to get that gone and it's just ingrained in me. No idea on the tax efficiency etc on all options just know my old dad would shed a tear if I bought a car/van on finance
Fair play.

Not this mathematical breakdown again @imago :muyenojado:
I’m sure you’ve done this 3 times already. Yes you got a great deal, well done :lol:

Sorry, I didn't mean to displace all the fascinating new information that's coming through about trowels, sponges and pumps. :rolleyes:
Damn good deal you got though. Nice to know when there’s so many options out there (y)

I bought a new vivaro last year. Pay it on finance and it's mine in 4 years. Want to have something at the end of payments and not have to give it back or find a few grand to buy it. I had a lot of bad luck with engines and spent a lot of money so was happy to buy new with a bit of peace of mind. I remember breaking down in Warwickshire. What a nightmare ordeal it was. My missus has a car but I keep the van clean and tidy especially in the cab and use it for everything. Take the missus and daughter out in it loads

Once worked with a kid and he stopped buyi g a paper and just read mine. When i asked him why he said he worked it out and by no buying a paper that money pays his car tax........i no longer buy a paper

hahahaha yup I do stuff like that :D one less pint a week means I can ????? etc etc etc