Using SBR and blue grit

Bex

Hi all. I'm after some advice on a simple job that is turning out not to be so simple. In a nutshell, I have a wall in a basement flat that needs skimming and I plan to do it (I'm a DIY plasterer). The current surface is mostly bare render with a small area of old skim around the window. In terms of surface, it's a mixture of silk paint over some of the skim, bare skim and bare render (at least two different types). The paint on the skim won't budge. There was also paint directly onto the render, which has peeled off in sheets, leaving a very dusty surface. In order to prep it for skimming, I'm thinking SBR over the render as it is very porous and is an external wall, followed by some kind of bonding agent / blue grit over the lot. Then skim. Is this right and should I use PVA at any point as well? Cheers

You need to address why the paint on the render has come off "in sheets" or you are just covering over a problem. Some pics would help of the problem.
Then some more pics of milfs too we love those on here

Are you insulating?
No but I'm taking that comment on board. The basement is pretty dry for what it is. It was done years ago with metal studs stuck on with what looks like browning and they used standard board on some walls, the others are s/c. The walls are dry. One came off due to how it's been fixed. The metal was rusted so we've done the same but treated battens and dpc and vapour board. Cheers flynny

That would be my question since it's in a basement re damp.

We're on a basement at the moment and are battening the walls, battens backed in dpc and vapour board.
I've had a damp company in and they think not especially given that it's a basement. Although when I do get condensation, that is the one corner in the flat that mould grows.

8329ED4B-ADFF-4DE7-B56F-711996CCF495.jpg
118C8A52-AB29-43AF-8701-29BD08364905.jpg
966B38DA-A001-4E43-9159-A0E16B232DE2.jpg
C7B3CD58-3C67-4C2D-844D-9DF74CCA706A.jpg
You need to address why the paint on the render has come off "in sheets" or you are just covering over a problem. Some pics would help of the problem.
Then some more pics of milfs too we love those on here
Sadly none of the local milfs were available for a photo

Looks like sponged up hardwall to me under that window. I see a horse with plastering tools on his back out side the window to!

I've had a damp company in and they think not especially given that it's a basement. Although when I do get condensation, that is the one corner in the flat that mould grows.

Sounds like a lot of arsing about to be followed soon after by complete failure.
MF the wall out put some DPM behind the GL2/GL9 brackets and fix with stainless fixings (overkill) then put some PIR insulation in, or even quicker, use insulated plasterboard.

Basements are crap, if it's not leaking then you've got condensation problems from cold spots.