Using mesh with bonding coat

perky416

Evening all,

When i had my bedroom plastered i insisted the plasterer did a backing coat rather than boarding it (i hate the hollow sound of boards). To prevent cracking he embedded mesh (jonstones stormshield) withing the bonding. He added a layer of bonding, embedded the mesh, then added another layer of bonding over the top.
Ive done bonding previously however never with mesh but im determined to give it a go in the coming weeks.
Being pretty amateurish at plastering still, would it be easier to embed the mesh in the bonding as my plasterer did or as ive just seen on youtube would it be easier to apply the mesh after the first skim coat?
Im wondering if i will have trouble getting a flat surface if i embed it in the bonding, dont want to be breaking down to the mesh when running along with my feather edge.

Any advice appreciated!
Thanks

I don't understand you mean he put a tight coat of bonding over cracked plasterwork and bedded mesh in or was this back to brick or something?

Personally I think it’s a waste of time all bg materials are brilliant there’s no need for a mesh too

Toronto Raptors Sport GIF by NBA

Not really a job for amateur but here you go have your sheets future if save you fukin about tight is cost of bonding on then notch with a tilers trowel bed mesh in then a grease coat over it again then I normally just spat it its simlar process to adhesive over eps

Lol so 8 replies and only 1 offering any form of genuine advice.

Great quality forum this . Shame such a s**t place has such a good domain name.

No offense mate , start your own and see what response you get from average time served spread , can assure you it would be the same .
Did your plasterer tell you why he used mesh ?

PS join in with the banter instead of slagging off and you may of found out something a bit more informative , might be a bit late lol

Evening all,

When i had my bedroom plastered i insisted the plasterer did a backing coat rather than boarding it (i hate the hollow sound of boards). To prevent cracking he embedded mesh (jonstones stormshield) withing the bonding. He added a layer of bonding, embedded the mesh, then added another layer of bonding over the top.
Ive done bonding previously however never with mesh but im determined to give it a go in the coming weeks.
Being pretty amateurish at plastering still, would it be easier to embed the mesh in the bonding as my plasterer did or as ive just seen on youtube would it be easier to apply the mesh after the first skim coat?
Im wondering if i will have trouble getting a flat surface if i embed it in the bonding, dont want to be breaking down to the mesh when running along with my feather edge.

Any advice appreciated!
Thanks

Perky, you need to keep in mind that professional plasterers are often time-served, under an apprenticeship (formal or informally). They will have undergone several years of hard graft and hard knocks to accumulate a certain level of experience, and in recent years, there have been a flood of 'chancers' entering the marketplace, undercutting time-served spreads (this forum is littered with 'customers' posting pictures of crap jobs and asking why the job they paid for has been done so badly, especially after they went to a 'trader' recommendation website that they saw advertised on the telly...).

Truly time-served plasterers, who are worth their wage, are a dying breed.

In light of that, when someone joins the forum and immediately starts asking for free handouts of advice, it is understandable that people are not entirely forthcoming with spilling the beans about their hard-earned knowledge and experience. Time-served spreads are wary of giving away their hard-earned knowledge (because chancers may see it and use it to undercut them) and are keen to ensure that DIYers don't get proficient enough to decimate the plastering trade. What good is a country full of people who are no longer willing to pay a living wage to an industry of plasterers?

Don't take it personally, just understand the situation. A forum full of DIYers, who have nothing to lose, would be happy to tell you everything they know, but a forum with a reasonable percentage of time-served spreads (plasterers) has to be careful not to give away the farm, because they have a livelihood to protect.

It's not personal.

Maybe if you went to a forum called DIYplasterersforum.com, things might meet your expectations,?

...in answer to your question, you can do either, but, if you insist on using mesh, it might be better, for the sake of the final finish, to apply the mesh into the bonding coat, instead of into the 1st layer of skim.

...and I'll give you a free warning: don't use bonding coat on external walls (bay windows, etc.).

However, with that said, you need to understand that mesh isn't really a longterm solution to a knackered wall. It's a band-aid.

Last edited: