Using Fire Cement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roryston

Evening lads.

I.got a little bit of patching in around a newly fitted wood burner.

Its on the breast wall about a foot around the opening.

I need to rough it and float it ready for skim Thursday morning.

I've never used it before, what's it like to lay on and float?

Its ready mixxed stuff

Sorry for such a silly question I just don't want to F it up!

Last edited:
God knows i used sand cement with sbr in it round our fireplace as we have a multi burner. The guy who installed it said k rend is the best gear to use on the inside of the fireplace??? God knows why but thet reckon its the best material to absorb the huge heat they output?? Bout time k rend had a positive use lol i hate their stuff its s**t and cracks !!!

Only place it will crack is if a flue exits through a wall or ceiling, if it's in a chimney it's not a problem.

I've got to do the inside of a chimney ready for woodburner tomorrow and Friday I've got to plaster a chimney breast that's been fireboarded as keeps cracking. Offered Victas as an option on both but they both decided against it. Refractory cements meant to be used but sand & cement with a bit of lime is what the woodburner people recommend.
"Just make sure he two coats it!" How else was I gonna do it! Ffs.

When you say fireboarded you mean like fireline... the one that is not heat resistant but just slows down the rate it burns through???

Yer. Exactly! :muyenojado:
Another plasterer told them it was the best way. I agreed to do it but told them no guarantees.
The problem is the burners too deep in the chimney & too big for it.

Cos of now being a country bumpkin i open up quite a few old fires and get them ready for me unreliable posh plummer to fit the log burner or whatever. All i have ever done with them is scabble or wires brush all or any soot that's present off, give it a brush down then, scratch coat of 5:1 leave it a week and top it with 6:1:1 never had any probs at all. Of course you need to tell the customer not to use the burner at any point during the process but that said i always book the plumber for 2 weeks after my start date.

Yeah I've always sand cemented them myself, never had a problem.

The tw@t fitting the burner said I must use fireproof stuff for the patching, god knows why the rest of it is black mortar.

Just going to lay it on and see how we do, hopefully i should be fine .

Status
Not open for further replies.