***UPDATE - BRITISH GYPSUM Q&A***

Members online

Got told from my local buildbase they had none in stock, I spend a fair bit in there over the year but nothing major as plasters cheap. Builder I work for now and then rang up after me and they let him have a pallet. They're just keeping it for there better customers.

I ended up driving an hour away and buying 30 bags. Date till mid July so at least I can potter about in June without having to worry about this s**t.

But what about boards,adhesive,backing coats

But what about boards,adhesive,backing coats
Got 20 boards in my shed, loads of adhesive already on an extension waiting for me.
Back coat could be an issue yeah but if I can't get it then I just won't book in jobs that need it. Got a couple of half bags of bonding and hardwall knocking about for the odd patch

Got 20 boards in my shed, loads of adhesive already on an extension waiting for me.
Back coat could be an issue yeah but if I can't get it then I just won't book in jobs that need it. Got a couple of half bags of bonding and hardwall knocking about for the odd patch

Suppose ok if only doing bit jobs...I'd need all that by monday afternoon most weeks so screwed!

I had same thing huws n gray reopened phone in orders etc 730 -800 I was ringing nobody answered every 2 mins got told 815 all pallets have gone told me phones have gone mad ,u never answered my f**k*r!!! any luck @hollybank @JohnDoe
No same as you finally got through at 8.15 from 7am all gone even why to Homebase and nothing there rang tippers in tunstall nothing it’s a fkin joke looks like I’m going to have to put work off till the end of June even that’s going to be a nightmare with these allocated time slots and pay over the phone
Going to have to ring some favours in

No same as you finally got through at 8.15 from 7am all gone even why to Homebase and nothing there rang tippers in tunstall nothing it’s a fkin joke looks like I’m going to have to put work off till the end of June even that’s going to be a nightmare with these allocated time slots and pay over the phone
Going to have to ring some favours in
I think at huws n gray the plaster had gone weeks ago probably to there builder mates or on the site if you didn’t have an account u be paying £8.50 plenty of profit eh !
it’s a load of s**t ,Every merchants been saying June - but there guessing when they have some dust

I think at huws n gray the plaster had gone weeks ago probably to there builder mates or on the site if you didn’t have an account u be paying £8.50 plenty of profit eh !
it’s a load of s**t ,Every merchants been saying June - but there guessing when they have some dust
They only had 2 pallets in,and people were probably camped outside all night waiting for them to open,same as you say there has been some underhand tactics going on,too much on ebay.
Im not that bothered but i have a job booked in start of June and i dont want to let them down.

They only had 2 pallets in,and people were probably camped outside all night waiting for them to open,same as you say there has been some underhand tactics going on,too much on ebay.
Im not that bothered but i have a job booked in start of June and i dont want to let them down.
Looking at @Fatarm link Above 18th may likely that week to have a possibility of some material

Got told from my local buildbase they had none in stock, I spend a fair bit in there over the year but nothing major as plasters cheap. Builder I work for now and then rang up after me and they let him have a pallet.

I ended up driving an hour away and buying 30 bags. Date till mid July so at least I can potter about in June without having to worry about this s**t.

How did you find that? Ive called everywhere and theres none around i need like 5 bags so looks like ill be buying from the bay if BG dont sort something.

How has it got this bad? No other materials seem to be low in stock so they?

I’ve done the same thing this morning with a local merchants that has been shut over lockdown, just opened this morning for deliveries only and guess what no plaster available at all. They opened at 7, I eventually got through at 7.04am and I was told I was the 5 plasterer to ring up!
There’s definitely been gear going out of the back door mate!! :mad:

the merchants have been open all the time. they just served the regulars. i brought our local merchants out with a phone call. they took the payment and passed the material under the gate to me.
you all need to be a bit more on the ball, he who hesitates has lost.

Last edited:
the merchants have been open all the time. they just served the regulars. i brought our local merchants out with a phone call. they took the payment and passed the material under the gate to me.

I respect you immensely on here Malc.

But I'm sorry your talking bollox here this situation should have been managed and our trade is left to be a laughing stock.

Are any other trades in the same situation?

Trust me all the merchants near me have been shut, I spoke to the manager of Buildbase the other day only because he has diverted all calls to his personal landline. He said he has stock in the yard but it’s not worth him risking his job selling anything out of the back door. What are these so called merchants that have been open all the time then? It’s very underhanded by your local merchants to be handing gear under gates!

But I'm sorry your talking bollox here this situation should have been managed and our trade is left to be a laughing stock.

the merchants moved material around during the lock down, people called in favours and got the materials that they needed to see them over.

the merchants moved material around during the lock down, people called in favours and got the materials that they needed to see them over.

Point being when lockdown is released theres absolutely no way on this planet we will have access to stock to run our projects.

No other trade has to contend with a supplier with a mafia hold on there business.

Trust me all the merchants near me have been shut, I spoke to the manager of Buildbase the other day only because he has diverted all calls to his personal landline. He said he has stock in the yard but it’s not worth him risking his job selling anything out of the back door. What are these so called merchants that have been open all the time then? It’s very underhanded by your local merchants to be handing gear under gates!

i don't know about build base they are not my side of the city.
my builders merchants had a note pinned to the gate "if you need anything phone " there was the manager and an office worker there full time. i made an enquiry and made a purchase.
i done the same on the last shortage when BG stopped production for 2 weeks to put in an additional production line.the 2 weeks turned into 3 months.

How many bags can BG make a day? Wondering if shops will see like 10 bags or 100 bags in stores when it finally comes back..

Point being when lockdown is released theres absolutely no way on this planet we will have access to stock to run our projects.

No other trade has to contend with a supplier with a mafia hold on there business.

there are other plasters but they are not stocked by the merchants.
we was offered a load of finish plaster from Turkey free if we would trial it. it is now branded as making good finish plaster. Turkey wants to break into the uk market as we are looking at new areas to trade.
my son was not keen on the idea of the trial as he said we know what is going to happen with BG plaster , i don't want to be looking at the turkish plaster all day waiting for that to set.
none of my local merchants stock Knauf plasters, so that just leaves BG.

As regards lockdown the government are now saying that there was no need for the construction industry to stop work anyway.
the rubbish that the government are now coming out with to get the building workers back to work. it is ok to be within 1 metre of another person for up to 15 minutes. WTF.
on site they are thinking about having a small shed so that 1 person can eat their launch in private. they don't realise that it has to be totally cleaned before the next person can enter.
they are more worried about profit then lives.
i have received this from a reliable source and you will hear this on Sunday.

This is where the six months shelf life would have been useful, any stock we may have bought for ourselves in March/April would still be in good order July/August/September?

there are other plasters but they are not stocked by the merchants.
we was offered a load of finish plaster from Turkey free if we would trial it. it is now branded as making good finish plaster. Turkey wants to break into the uk market as we are looking at new areas to trade.
my son was not keen on the idea of the trial as he said we know what is going to happen with BG plaster , i don't want to be looking at the turkish plaster all day waiting for that to set.
none of my local merchants stock Knauf plasters, so that just leaves BG.

As regards lockdown the government are now saying that there was no need for the construction industry to stop work anyway.
the rubbish that the government are now coming out with to get the building workers back to work. it is ok to be within 1 metre of another person for up to 15 minutes. WTF.
on site they are thinking about having a small shed so that 1 person can eat their launch in private. they don't realise that it has to be totally cleaned before the next person can enter.
they are more worried about profit then lives.
i have received this from a reliable source and you will hear this on Sunday.

100% agree malc the governments stance has become an absolute joke mate.

Were being left out to hang!

100% agree malc the governments stance has become an absolute joke mate.

Were being left out to hang!
And the best bit is our supplier dont give a shite....big construction will get it all and theyll send 56 bags to odd merchant so they can say they did

They all will be if nowt can get plastered

Of coarse the merchant is going to look after the customers that spend the largest amounts with them plaster is available but the largest customer aint just buying one of the cheapest materials you can get in the merchant are they?

Expired June 2019 but kept dry so £20 a bag
[/QUOTE]
Good luck with that. I've got 5 bags and a bag of bonding all in date for a home job, but the missus is working in there so its a no go. Maybe try and flog it for a silly price myself..
Mate of mine is just starting a solo job for a builder - who has just purchased 20 bags on a week or 2 delivery. No idea where from.

Expired June 2019 but kept dry so £20 a bag
Good luck with that. I've got 5 bags and a bag of bonding all in date for a home job, but the missus is working in there so its a no go. Maybe try and flog it for a silly price myself..
Mate of mine is just starting a solo job for a builder - who has just purchased 20 bags on a week or 2 delivery. No idea where from.
[/QUOTE]
That’s not my ad mate

Ooops! Sorry.
That’s not my ad mate
[/QUOTE]
:oops:

They all will be if nowt can get plastered
1588663976725.gif

Huws grey Whitchurch have got plenty of board finish
£7.80 plus VAT, 20 per customer if it's any use to anyone
Well done mate!
No good to me though it’s 3.5 hrs away Lol.
I need 20 bags as well, the father-in-law’s wanting some graft doing.

Last edited:
i don't know about build base they are not my side of the city.
my builders merchants had a note pinned to the gate "if you need anything phone " there was the manager and an office worker there full time. i made an enquiry and made a purchase.
i done the same on the last shortage when BG stopped production for 2 weeks to put in an additional production line.the 2 weeks turned into 3 months.
Ok mate now that’s different, you’re greedy little local merchants have been selling all sorts of stuff underhanded to everyone then. You spoke like you was a big mafia boss getting special privileges having loads of gear passed under a gate! :LOL: .......... just saying!

Huws grey Whitchurch have got plenty of board finish
£7.80 plus VAT, 20 per customer if it's any use to anyone
Just been there got five bags in date till the end of may plus boards and beads to make it worthwhile
The rest is out of date by over a month no movement on price