Unusual cause of damp

Members online

worthwords

We had this very odd square patch of damp with salts precipitating around it and through the thick textured wall paper.

Screenshot at Mar 13 21-08-38.png
\

After stripping the wall paper i found it was a perfect square of damp gypsum - the rest of the wall is some sort of sand and cement render.
I dug it out - about 10cm of gypsum and found a load of rubble and broken bricks. After cleaning it I understood what it was. It's a slate lined through wall post box!

IMG_2570.jpeg

We were thinking of keeping it and making a feature but it's a daft idea. The top is damaged and so any water running down the cavity had a ramp directly into the house. And it's also a significant thermal bridge.

Still interesting find.

We had this very odd square patch of damp with salts precipitating around it and through the thick textured wall paper.

View attachment 45763\

After stripping the wall paper i found it was a perfect square of damp gypsum - the rest of the wall is some sort of sand and cement render.
I dug it out - about 10cm of gypsum and found a load of rubble and broken bricks. After cleaning it I understood what it was. It's a slate lined through wall post box!

View attachment 45762

We were thinking of keeping it and making a feature but it's a daft idea. The top is damaged and so any water running down the cavity had a ramp directly into the house. And it's also a significant thermal bridge.

Still interesting find.

View attachment 45763\

View attachment 45762

Still interesting find.
Put a false letter box on outside with the flap half open to direct internal light onto floor of outside entrance
Thermal barrier and internal void somewhere to put car keys

View attachment 45763\

View attachment 45762

Still interesting find.
Open it right through again, it'll be perfect for 'them' to pass food through when you've got virus.