Universal One Coat

Members online

rt88

Has anyone tried universal one coat over artex? Got a full room to do, 4 walls and ceiling over quite thick artex and someone mentioned trying this?

That's the usual way I go about it was just wondering if anyone had tried it before. I've heard the setting times are unpredictable with it

That's the usual way I go about it was just wondering if anyone had tried it before. I've heard the setting times are unpredictable with it
You need to leave it to take up a fair bit then a bit of water and a spatula to bring the fat out of it to finish it. As far setting times go it hangs a bit especially if its a thick coat. I think its a bit of a faff and bond and skim would be the way to go. Lurpaks favourite bonding 60 will speed up the process.

You need to leave it to take up a fair bit then a bit of water and a spatula to bring the fat out of it to finish it. As far setting times go it hangs a bit especially if its a thick coat. I think its a bit of a faff and bond and skim would be the way to go. Lurpaks favourite bonding 60 will speed up the process.
Thanks for that mate. I do quite a lot of going over artex at my work and always bond and skim, sometimes just put bonding in the finish for the first coat but after someone mentioning this today thought I would get another few opinions. Looks like al stick with the tried and tested method. Just always open to picking up different methods and ideas as I'm still learning.

Thanks for that mate. I do quite a lot of going over artex at my work and always bond and skim, sometimes just put bonding in the finish for the first coat but after someone mentioning this today thought I would get another few opinions. Looks like al stick with the tried and tested method. Just always open to picking up different methods and ideas as I'm still learning.

That universal one coat is a pile of shite

I'm covering artex all the time just use thick coat of multi . Sponge float it with 18inch refina. Trowel up .try it .

I’ve got about 4 different methods to cover artex. All depends on the artex and size of the area.

I’d never use anything other than bonding n skim.

Not a fan of a thick first coat of multi. Prefer bit of bonding in there
I got 4 ways
1 send lad
2 tell em to phone lad
3 give em another kids number
4 put a stupid price in

Tbf universal that’s a good idea , what it would be like I don’t know but like the guys thinking
Don’t even know if it’s stocked anywhere, tbf I doubt it is but still is probably available pallet order

This is U.K. though not a lot ever changes , things will still carry on like they did in 1958 still using same old shite until robots take over in around 10 years

Tbf universal that’s a good idea , what it would be like I don’t know but like the guys thinking
Don’t even know if it’s stocked anywhere, tbf I doubt it is but still is probably available pallet order

This is U.K. though not a lot ever changes , things will still carry on like they did in 1958 still using same old shite until robots take over in around 10 years
folks sometimes not willing to try new ideas i guess.

I’ve got about 4 different methods to cover artex. All depends on the artex and size of the area.

I’d never use anything other than bonding n skim.

Not a fan of a thick first coat of multi. Prefer bit of bonding in there
what ratio of bond and skim do you use, about 50/50?

Don't overthink it Vincey, it was just a post about a ceiling:bailando:

Can’t hate on old gaz but fook me stick to site.

Day 1 grit
Day 2 cover it with magic mix and scratch it wtf
Day 3 pva and skim

Is pva and skim that s**t same day. The keys already fooking there the artex pattern

charge to overboard and skim, save inhaling any old asbestos.

Another bullshit. You’re more likely to snort some asbestos overboarding when you knock holes in it. And from screwing into it.

Safer to just scape peaks n skim. Better yet just skim

Another bullshit. You’re more likely to snort some asbestos overboarding when you knock holes in it. And from screwing into it.

Safer to just scape peaks n skim. Better yet just skim
you think its safer to scrape asbestos? i dont knock holes in, find joists by sound tapping with hammer and chalk a line.
each to their own as long as you get paid all is well.

you think its safer to scrape asbestos? i dont knock holes in, find joists by sound tapping with hammer and chalk a line.
each to their own as long as you get paid all is well.

Safer than knocking holes in it, yes.

folks sometimes not willing to try new ideas i guess.
I suppose if you think a product that's been around for decades (steel beads) is a new invention then a plaster thats been around since the eighties must be like some new super dooper product.

Depending on thickness of artex will put in a handful of bonding to half a dozen handfuls then 2 of multi

I know this thread is over 6 months old but finally got round to trying this the other day when I noticed some one coat in jewsons. I was going over a heavy bark effect artex on bathroom walls. Looks like the majority of you where right, took ages to go off and dont like needing to bring all the fat back up to finish it. Definitely sticking to bonding and finish as usual.

It does take a while to set . Method is you apply , leave a while , sponge then trowel it up .
I did it this way, brought the wall out til it was flat with the first pass, maybe 7-9mm, then went over it again with about a 3mm coat when it took up a bit. Then sponged it. Still not made my mind up whether it was the length of time it took or the material itself I didnt like but it wasnt for me.

That’s the process BG recommend but it’s wank just like the gear itself.
Only used knauf gear .went on a day course for machine plastering at knauf immingham plant. Gaffer sent us because we were starting a massive sports academy for Wilmot Dixon and they had to use only knauf products . There were thousands of meters on the job . We had a day on the course learning the machine and the gear . Went on the job the next day expecting a machine to be there. Gaffer said no they cost thousands and to hand apply it . He said the course was just to learn the gear . I was gutted .

I did it this way, brought the wall out til it was flat with the first pass, maybe 7-9mm, then went over it again with about a 3mm coat when it took up a bit. Then sponged it. Still not made my mind up whether it was the length of time it took or the material itself I didnt like but it wasnt for me.
Glad to see at least you had a go