universal one coat

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiltwalker

hi guys
got a very big job starting and its all gypsum universal one coat ,not used much of this gear before so any tips would be great .
the work is all in between oak beams on metal lath with building paper behind.
was thinking one coat let stiffen up then another one before sponge and finish, cant see it being done in one coat as he wants it out to the beams and we all know what metal lath is like when other trades fixed it!
so any of you guys used a lot of this stuff?

Cant see why you would not be able to put a tight coat of bonding or hardwall on first to cover lath up, then one coat away

apply the one coat.. rule it off, let it pull in, then go over with a spat, when you can just about make a finger indentation, sponge and trowel up..

You could get it on in one but you can't just sponge and finish it you have to rule it perfectly then open it up with rule or spat to bring up the fines then sponge and trowel also a hard trowel is needed sometimes next day

Every plasterer on here probably has their own way of getting a finish with one coat. All depends i guess on what the customer would like. Your right Gibbo you can even trowel it the next morning. I have one coated, ruled out,Sponged and troweled up. I have one coated,flattened. applied a second coat to build out .Troweled then apply water and sponge to bring fat up.Then troweled some more. Even had jobs were i leave it as long as possible and fine sponge finish. The product is very versatile, My favorite finish in barns and cottages is giving a rub over with a very fine car like sponge. The ones i use are half the size of a sponge you wash your car with and have a finer density to them. I do this when very close to setting and gives the impression that its been there 100 years. I have used loads of this and still am finding other ways to finish it with all the new tools on the market now :rolleyes)

I asked a friend of mine who has alot of experience with this. He says not to let it go too hard and short strokes are better.

I asked a friend of mine who has alot of experience with this. He says not to let it go too hard and short strokes are better.

sorry my mistake, I thought it said universal one GOAT :RpS_unsure: hope I didnt waste your time Yuslis Tozar

hi guys
got a very big job starting and its all gypsum universal one coat ,not used much of this gear before so any tips would be great .
the work is all in between oak beams on metal lath with building paper behind.
was thinking one coat let stiffen up then another one before sponge and finish, cant see it being done in one coat as he wants it out to the beams and we all know what metal lath is like when other trades fixed it!
so any of you guys used a lot of this stuff?

i would give the eml a scratch coat let it set overnight, then give it a second coat as there is going to be no suction from the eml and universal will take hours to set. apply the second coat , rule in leave until it is ready to sponge float then trowel up.
i did see that they are selling sponge floats in b and m also the range for £5 get the fine finish one.

thanks for the reply guys
universal one coat is what they want so bonding and hardwall not a option .
gibbo to rule it perfectly is going to be tricky as the beams range from 6" to 12" wide and the oak dips and twists from the eml ,so the bring it out to the beams some of it has to be quite thick , it might be a job not to cover all the oak as its sticky as hell.
will give that a go tomorrow so fingers crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.