Universal one coat over board

Members online

david rossy

Hi, wondering if you can help, I start a new job next Monday and I've been told I'm using universal one coat plaster on plaster board, will I still need to use spat and sponge on board? And will the board need sealing?
Thanks

This is so strange I was chatting about doing just this the other day , my mate said it needs to be thicker than a few mm to spong and trowel to a decent finish even when going on boards with it mate, where is the one coat from ? BandQ?

ffs.gif

This is so strange I was chatting about doing just this the other day , my mate said it needs to be thicker than a few mm to spong and trowel to a decent finish even when going on boards with it mate, where is the one coat from ? BandQ?
Yeah I think around 8mm mate but not sure because its not a popular method I don't think. Not sure where it's from I believe not many places sell it nowadays as its not to popular. Tried to do as much research as possible but only getting building on block or brick not board.

Hi, wondering if you can help, I start a new job next Monday and I've been told I'm using universal one coat plaster on plaster board, will I still need to use spat and sponge on board? And will the board need sealing?
Thanks

sponged and troweled with the universel 1 coat mate

sponged and troweled with the universel 1 coat mate
Cheers mate I've never used the stuff lol can I level with plastic speed skim then wait sponge and trowel? And sorry to be a pain but will it need to be as thick as I sound lol no 8mm or will I get away thinner skim..? And thanks again I'm just flapping a bit lol

Cheers mate I've never used the stuff lol can I level with plastic speed skim then wait sponge and trowel? And sorry to be a pain but will it need to be as thick as I sound lol no 8mm or will I get away thinner skim..? And thanks again I'm just flapping a bit lol

i thought that BG no longer produced universal plaster.
a few years ago i had a job on a Mill that was a listed building. the spec was Thistle universal on plasterboard 10mm thick, trowel finish, not to be decorated. finished with a coat of Lux soap flakes and polished with lambs wool. the idea of this was when the walls got dirty the Lux soap could be removed and redone.
British Gypsum did not like the idea as they thought that the extra weight of 10mm plaster could pull the paper off the board.
i did cut the thickness down to about 5mm as at 10mm it was taking 6 hours to set.

it was a long time ago I used it mate
only on small area's

from what I remember
coated on
flattened
sponged to bring fat to the surface
then finished with a trowel..

put on a small area mate to have a little practice (y) (y)

Why the f**k would you use that on board is baffling the s**t out of me... What are they trying to achieve a different texture left unpainted??

i thought that BG no longer produced universal plaster.
a few years ago i had a job on a Mill that was a listed building. the spec was Thistle universal on plasterboard 10mm thick, trowel finish, not to be decorated. finished with a coat of Lux soap flakes and polished with lambs wool. the idea of this was when the walls got dirty the Lux soap could be removed and redone.
British Gypsum did not like the idea as they thought that the extra weight of 10mm plaster could pull the paper off the board.
i did cut the thickness down to about 5mm as at 10mm it was taking 6 hours to set.
Apparently they do and this firm insist on using it (one coat) on insolation board. 5mm sounds a bit better lol, can I flatten with plastic speed skim or will I need to use stainless spat? Thanks for your help mate I'm starting to come to the conclusion I'll learn on job with this gear lol

Why the f**k would you use that on board is baffling the s**t out of me... What are they trying to achieve a different texture left unpainted??
I know and I'm totally clueless as to why, unless the guy who interviewed me didn't have a clue and there's some other 1 coat plaster knauf maybe?? Proper battered my head to be honest

I know and I'm totally clueless as to why, unless the guy who interviewed me didn't have a clue and there's some other 1 coat plaster knauf maybe?? Proper battered my head to be honest
It definately sounds like that... Or theyve took a massive stock of it and wanting to get rid of it... Good luck with it

Apparently they do and this firm insist on using it (one coat) on insolation board. 5mm sounds a bit better lol, can I flatten with plastic speed skim or will I need to use stainless spat? Thanks for your help mate I'm starting to come to the conclusion I'll learn on job with this gear lol

i just apply the plaster to the thickness that i required. ruled off with a featheredge. left to pickup, sponge floated to bring up the fat and troweled up to an egg shell finish. on plasterboard universal is just a 1 hit a day .
the only time that i use a spat is on the self finishing plasters that are no more then 2mm thick.

i just apply the plaster to the thickness that i required. ruled off with a featheredge. left to pickup, sponge floated to bring up the fat and troweled up to an egg shell finish. on plasterboard universal is just a 1 hit a day .
the only time that i use a spat is on the self finishing plasters that are no more then 2mm thick.
Cheers mate, only 1 hit day because you can spread loads due to drying times?

As the building was a Mill, the architect wanted an off white finish to resemble a lime finish of a working Mill.
This architect does a lot of work for English heritage and the Mill was of interest as it still had the wheel and the Mill race running under the new lounge area.
I just carry out these works for him on a day work as they are always complicated

Cheers mate, only 1 hit day because you can spread loads due to drying times?

yes, if you are using Thistle universal it is about a 6 hour set. there is a colour change to grey as the material sets.
Knauf red/black/or gold band plasterers will set quicker.

As the building was a Mill, the architect wanted an off white finish to resemble a lime finish of a working Mill.
This architect does a lot of work for English heritage and the Mill was of interest as it still had the wheel and the Mill race running under the new lounge area.
I just carry out these works for him on a day work as they are always complicated
Ye i can understand the need for different textures.. Left untreated just a raw finish... But why over plasterboard?? I can imagine it takes time ive done similar things over the past in restaurents and things but never over plasterboard

Ye i can understand the need for different textures.. Left untreated just a raw finish... But why over plasterboard?? I can imagine it takes time ive done similar things over the past in restaurents and things but never over plasterboard

The Mill was timbered frame being turned into a dwelling. i guess that the walls had been given extra insulation then plasterboard.

Thanks
not worth the hastle mate /its as slow as fck /used it a lot p/board walls in a castle I work on to make the boards look like old lime walls a sponge will pull the grit in it to the surface which is the finish I want but I would not use it for a normal job /walk away if I where u