Unifinsh on sand/cement

hstoke

hi all refurbing a house it's having dp injected n then sand/cement render after I'm whacking uni on it after ,any different method applying coats or is a no no for s/c thanks

But mines out of date uni at a knock off £5 bag mega saving from Bnq but I will ask me local merchants for the x-Ray stuff or the x- rated gear round the back

Cus that means I got pva the rest of the wall I know all fors n againsts read a whole lot on here ,if I find it absolute pain in the ass I'll dump it but as I'm generally a one man band ,times /money all that crap as the whole house needs doing worth a crack surely

image.jpg
Meanwhile over at my local B&Q, I wouldn't buy out of date plaster at the same price as multie in date, you would have to be an idiot.

Why though? Why?
Just make sure there is waterproofer in the s&c and skim it? What ya frightened of?
Gyprime? Worlds gone mad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why though? Why?
Just make sure there is waterproofer in the s&c and skim it? What ya frightened of?
Gyprime? Worlds gone mad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince thought it was old sand/cement so needed suction controll, i think the stuff (gyprime) is far superior to pva but too expensive.

Last edited:
I have used plenty out of date with no problems

Flynnyman lets be serious for a minute what is your problem with unifinsh all you do is constantly slate it and to the best of my knowledge you have never used 1 bag ?

Tbh it's bordering on ridiculous , if you have any valid point then just say it

Is it because you don't know what is in it to make it adhere to surface ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not be using uni on sand and cement... that is going to suck like a proxy on price work

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Flynnyman lets be serious for a minute what is your problem with unifinsh all you do is constantly slate it and to the best of my knowledge you have never used 1 bag ?

Ok let's be serious for a minute why when anyone says they don't want to use uni do you cry like a little bitch?

I am bored of giving my reasons and they are the same reasons, they don't change, they are the same reasons others don't use it. You really are making a fool of yourself half the time with your constant bitching and moaning about people not using it. I use multie it's fine and does the job it's that simple, I rarely over skim ceilings becauseof the obvious problems ie gravity and not knowing what I'm going on to. Uni is far to expensive And will not save me a second in time on any job I ever do, it's failed once which to me is once to many. I've not spent nearly 30 years learning this trade inside out and building up a reputation as a quality plasterer to have it all taken away by British gypsum testing their gear for them in people's houses. My customers are very valuable to me and I'm not about to start experimenting in their houses for no benefits what so ever. Is that enough info for you or would you like me to go on coz I can :)

I thought it was the price that was the problem but i now also think people just dont trust it to work or last in the long term so they stay with pva.
Even if the bring it down in line with multi in price i think its too late now.

I thought it was the price that was the problem but i now also think people just dont trust it to work or last in the long term so they stay with pva.
Even if the bring it down in line with multi in price i think its too late now.
I agree the only way they will get people to use it is if they do away with all the other finish because by rights it's not needed anymore. It's hit and miss on all different backgrounds it either pulls in like f**k or hangs like f**k. Needs an extra coat and In my eyes from what I've read it dries far to quick on some backgrounds. From reading forums over the years the craft is losing so much info and these new trowels and let's say uni are part of the problem. Nobody is learning the craft properly and are relying on these new tools and plasters to do the job for them, they are not learning the basics and this forum is testament to it because the amount of stupid basic questions that get asked off people charging for plastering is shocking. People will be using uni and not understanding or ever learning about backgrounds and how to prepare them and when it goes pear shaped which it will they blame the plaster or the trowel it is becoming a joke.

Ok let's be serious for a minute why when anyone says they don't want to use uni do you cry like a little bitch?
Great, the guy asked for advice.

Maybe you are right maybe I should not comment about it so much.
Tbh it's good to be able to talk about using it if that has helped anyone think to give it a go, obviously it's not for you and others but doesn't mean everybody is like that.

I agree the only way they will get people to use it is if they do away with all the other finish because by rights it's not needed anymore. It's hit and miss on all different backgrounds it either pulls in like f**k or hangs like f**k. Needs an extra coat and In my eyes from what I've read it dries far to quick on some backgrounds. From reading forums over the years the craft is losing so much info and these new trowels and let's say uni are part of the problem. Nobody is learning the craft properly and are relying on these new tools and plasters to do the job for them, they are not learning the basics and this forum is testament to it because the amount of stupid basic questions that get asked off people charging for plastering is shocking. People will be using uni and not understanding or ever learning about backgrounds and how to prepare them and when it goes pear shaped which it will they blame the plaster or the trowel it is becoming a joke.
I get what you saying and tell you this I told loden on day one it's tradional way no Speedskim,no unifinish and when he is okay with that then the other stuff or other ways there nothing wrong with that..my mate is 55 been plastering as long as you and said first time he used unifinish if a spread couldn't see the bag it was in they wouldn't be able to tell the difference of what they chucking on the wall..plaster is plaster

I get what you saying and tell you this I told loden on day one it's tradional way no Speedskim,no unifinish and when he is okay with that then the other stuff or other ways there nothing wrong with that..my mate is 55 been plastering as long as you and said first time he used unifinish if a spread couldn't see the bag it was in they wouldn't be able to tell the difference of what they chucking on the wall..plaster is plaster
Here's why it doesn't make sense and never will, your saying learn how to plaster the traditional way or let's change the word to the proper way. Once you have learnt how to do the job the right way with one trowel you are then qualified to do it another way? It doesn't make sense there is only one way to skim a wall and it's always been done that way and if you were ever taught the right way you would know. Fair enough there are loads of tools on the market but my opinion is they are not needed to do the job you were doing properly before. This speedskim thing always makes me laugh it's like, don't worry about putting the plaster on correctly and neatly the speed skim will sort it lol it doesn't make the plaster set any quicker so what's the point your still gonna be stood waiting for the plaster setting anyway. Like I've said so much info is getting lost but it always comes back to the basics and the basics is getting lost. I'm sick of hearing why people get tiger stripes and the number of reasons for it, but at the end of the day if they are still there when you have troweled up its because your s**t end of :)

Great, the guy asked for advice.

Maybe you are right maybe I should not comment about it so much.
Tbh it's good to be able to talk about using it if that has helped anyone think to give it a go, obviously it's not for you and others but doesn't mean everybody is like that.
That's fine but it's your reaction to anyone who doesn't want to use it or has used it and didn't like it which I think is the problem.

That's fine but it's your reaction to anyone who doesn't want to use it or has used it and didn't like it which I think is the problem.
In the beginning it was the crap people would say about it when they never used it Tbf you might be right..i spent alot of time and effort with unifinish maybe that's why I do honestly think it's good for domestic especially but do need a forum holiday for a bit, the only thing we probably agree on ,lol

I honestly think BG have made something that might work but will never work 100% it is a complete waste of time in my eyes and doesn't solve any problems. Fair enough turn up at a job and just skim everything with a plaster that needs no prep but they haven't made that. They have made something that can be used sometimes or on one wall out of four in a room which is completely pointless. You describe your jobs you use uni on and I always think why not use multie you had the time? It will not make you any more money in my eyes you can come up with these scenarios but they don't really happen in the real world. I honestly can't think of a job I could of benefited from with it and that's not because I hate the gear I am being honest. It is being reduced up and down the country because of its shelf life and nobody stocks it because of this and the price. They either get rid of board and multie coz like you said you can't tell the difference, reduce the price or this gear is going to get deleted and fail. Why not get rid of the others if this is the same, but the added bonus you may get away with pvaing one wall. It's a no brainer so why aren't they going with it?

I can't say why only they can..fair enough points there only one I say is not, is in real world I am touching 1500 bags used now and the time saved on the right job is the main advantage for me .
In the house, gear on , no messing,they are real life jobs I talk about and have shown.