Unifinish tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Apprentice

Got a ceiling to do on Monday and can't get in till then so I'm going to give uni a go on aartexed background. Any advice on what to watch for would be appreciated.

Got a ceiling to do on Monday and can't get in till then so I'm going to give uni a go on aartexed background. Any advice on what to watch for would be appreciated.
Use exactly the same as if you were going to use multi..only tip or difference on artex I would say leave first coat a bit longer than normal to firm up before you second coat.
Post up some pictures if you can ..would be good to see...you will have plenty of time to get a nice finish...
Glad to see you having a go.

I did a bedroom and while I was putting th he 2nd coat of pva" the ceiling it dawned on me that I could have used uni and done the prep on the walls while I was waiting for it. Would you advise a bit of bonding in the 1st coast to help build it out? Thanks for your help

Is uni a good tip on artex then if its a big hit....i got an artex ceiling to do that 25sqm...i know not a lot to most but as im new was considering the extratime sachet just to give me a bit of time....if uni hangs a lot would it be good to use if you need a bit more time than most?

I did a bedroom and while I was putting th he 2nd coat of pva" the ceiling it dawned on me that I could have used uni and done the prep on the walls while I was waiting for it. Would you advise a bit of bonding in the 1st coast to help build it out? Thanks for your help
Good idea with the preparation with the walls if you feel it needs pva and multi on the walls.
On the bonding in the ceiling mix I personally wouldn't mix it into unifinish,I know it's been said it's ok to use on artex over skims by others and I agree it can be good idea but with unifinish I feel it is not a good idea as there are additives in it to make it adhere to the surface you are skimming over.Better in my opinion to mix the first coat of uni thicker than to drop in the bonding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is uni a good tip on artex then if its a big hit....i got an artex ceiling to do that 25sqm...i know not a lot to most but as im new was considering the extratime sachet just to give me a bit of time....if uni hangs a lot would it be good to use if you need a bit more time than most?
On low suction like painted artex it hangs long enough to not need to bud.
25m2? Easy Loden I getting worried now ...thinking you are faster than me already

On low suction like painted artex it hangs long enough to not need to bud.
25m2? Easy Loden I getting worried now ...thinking you are faster than me already
Don't make me laugh...my sister keeps banging on about this ceiling and its 7m x 3.5m....makes me break out into a sweat just thinking about it......bloody women got no idea whats involved in these jobs.......and she wants it for free:cry:

Don't make me laugh...my sister keeps banging on about this ceiling and its 7m x 3.5m....makes me break out into a sweat just thinking about it......bloody women got no idea whats involved in these jobs.......and she wants it for free:cry:
Most people do , not just family :endesacuerdo:
Might need 2 bags first coat depending on thickness of the artex
I pop down and do it with ya if she makes a full English breakfast, when you get back.

P.s is she fit? Lol

The best advice I could give to anyone is learn to blend feather skim out perfectly...that way your only ever putting on the amount your comfy with

Embrace the uni great finish to use whilst not preparing walls go the shop and buy a scratch card !

Has your pallet come yet?

No not ordered yet should have storage in about 6 wks....

mind you I can't land a job for love nor money at the minute so will go out of date before I'd of used at this rate! Lol

Priceing again in the morning hey ho!

Begining to wish not cancelled all my contract and builders work now..

Domestic jobs alone doesn't seem enough work for me I'm thinking!!!

Most people do , not just family :endesacuerdo:
Might need 2 bags first coat depending on thickness of the artex
I pop down and do it with ya if she makes a full English breakfast, when you get back.

P.s is she fit? Lol

Its a stipple coat but should scrape back nice so two good coats should do it....yes on the breakfast but no or no comment on my sisters looks......she's a mean drunk so would fit in perfectly on here:LOL:

I rarely recommend over skimming ceilings always over board, and always if it's artex to many things can go wrong coz you don't know what it's put onto.

I rarely recommend over skimming ceilings always over board, and always if it's artex to many things can go wrong coz you don't know what it's put onto.
I agree but she doesnt want to take down the coving.......:endesacuerdo:

Doesn't matter you can still have all the problems over skimming artex can bring. I would warn her and explain its her problem when it fails :)
Yeah ive e xplained that the skim will only be as strong as the bond between the artex and the layer below.....explained if its distemper the whole lot would fall down and she just kind of shrugs and says 'im sure it'll be ok'....wants a free job...overboard and new coving sets her back £100....for what its worth I agree and would board if she let me......she's a single mum so money is always the deciding factor.

Yeah ive e xplained that the skim will only be as strong as the bond between the artex and the layer below.....explained if its distemper the whole lot would fall down and she just kind of shrugs and says 'im sure it'll be ok'....wants a free job...overboard and new coving sets her back £100....for what its worth I agree and would board if she let me......she's a single mum so money is always the deciding factor.
She will still be a single mum and broke when it fails but a lot more angrier lol

Well got too say I was pleased with the finish I got using the unifinish, 1st coast was mixed a little thicker than normal to cover the artex, looked bad at this stage. Flattened off with the speedskim and gave it the 2nd coat, it brought the 1st coat back and covered really well. It was acceptable to say the least but either because I could or because I wanted to I decided to give it a 3rd coat. The finish I got was very good. The only down side was the £10 a bag that b&q charge but weighing that up against the time I saved I'm sure I'll be using again and certainly worth a try for yourself

Well got too say I was pleased with the finish I got using the unifinish, 1st coast was mixed a little thicker than normal to cover the artex, looked bad at this stage. Flattened off with the speedskim and gave it the 2nd coat, it brought the 1st coat back and covered really well. It was acceptable to say the least but either because I could or because I wanted to I decided to give it a 3rd coat. The finish I got was very good. The only down side was the £10 a bag that b&q charge but weighing that up against the time I saved I'm sure I'll be using again and certainly worth a try for yourself
Good to hear it went well
Vince

Nice feedback :D I quite like sticking a further tight one over artex as well...

What time did you save putting 3 coats on lol, never in all my days have I ever felt the need to put a 3rd coat on.

I've used it and no way does it save time compared to pva and skim, it hangs around longer than a bad smell

Status
Not open for further replies.