Uni-finish

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
it says in the new vid that even if the base coat crazes cracks just carry on and it will be fine but surley if it had crazed and what have ya then its dried to quick thus contracted and shrank to quickly not allowing the "plaster" to get a grip on the substrate resulting in it de-laminating as some people have found out for them selves

Skimmed my porch about 6 weeks ago to give uni-finish a blast, just got round to givning it a mist coat today and its shelling off the ceiling...............:RpS_crying:.....still havent received my money from BG for the cost of the bag yet either..............:RpS_cursing:

2013-01-11130107_zps70fecca6.jpg

Skimmed my porch about 6 weeks ago to give uni-finish a blast, just got round to givning it a mist coat today and its shelling off the ceiling...............:RpS_crying:.....still havent received my money from BG for the cost of the bag yet either..............:RpS_cursing:

2013-01-11130107_zps70fecca6.jpg

OH dear :(

Nah it's 2 bags I bought to use on a small job before Xmas, but after seeing all the feedback on here & elsewhere I'm not going to risk using it.
Might use it in my house with pva :RpS_laugh:
Ffs waste of money :RpS_cursing:
BG you've fcuked up bigtime!!

It'll all end up in multi finish bags soon lol.

oops, so it was just a reskim on some existing plaster?!

If that's the case then BG are well and truly fcked

thought it was too good to be true when they first starting talking about it.

strange how it only came off the ceiling. Was there any difference in the paint you were going over or anything like that???

Feckin ell!! Thats piss poor, just as well it wasn't a job arti:-0 .. I got 2 freebies to try before crimbo, and have hesitated to use it after readin bout it on here, think il give it a miss now. More info on uni from the members of the forum than BG have given us!!!:RpS_thumbup:... No doubt BG will be in shortly to put us all right:rolleyes)....

Yeh sure,,,, I'll go an prepare the pigs for flyin:RpS_laugh:

Only one bin bag..................just whole ceiling came off.........walls seem ok....:RpS_unsure:

2013-01-12142727_zps51db6022.jpg

DON'T THROW IT AWAY!!!!!!
Wait until BG have had the opportunity to 'assess' it - no evidence no case (as Nailswater might say) :RpS_thumbup:

strange how it only came off the ceiling. Was there any difference in the paint you were going over or anything like that???

`the paint was just watered down emulsion........the paint that i plastered over has started peeling in certain places so wether the paint wasnt bonded to the ceiling and the finish clearly hasnt bonded to the paint.........im sure there is a logical explanation for it............:RpS_unsure:

I don't rate it at all just cant handle suction and doesn't stick and the 2 nod coat didn't bring it back and the main reason its is rubbish is the price of the stuff.pva is a nightmare but you can even out the suctions of the background with it but I do prefer w.b.a or plasprime really good stuff

Arti was the ceiling unpainted before you put the uni on it?

this thread wont last long so hurry up with your answer, it will get pulled because BG will pull rank!!! you know there's no such thing as freedom of speach

it was painted........its had 10 years of emulsion from me since we moved in......and how ever many before that

oh right so it pulled the paint off too?

how much was the uni mate? ive not seen it anywhere yet

I blame the paint on this occassion, probably been put on undiluted in the beginning , the moisture from the plaster soaking in and down it all comes.Sorry that's my opinion here..

Yeah, on reflection it looks like the painter is at fault. Arti what you like at p!ssing cos you can't paint marra:RpS_lol:

I don't rate it at all just cant handle suction and doesn't stick and the 2 nod coat didn't bring it back and the main reason its is rubbish is the price of the stuff.pva is a nightmare but you can even out the suctions of the background with it but I do prefer w.b.a or plasprime really good stuff
I have not been using anything but pva, so you reckon wba and plas prime are much better, I might look into these products, thanks

Yeah, on reflection it looks like the painter is at fault. Arti what you like at p!ssing cos you can't paint marra:RpS_lol:
I emailed B.G before asking about these problems, they did not answer anything about unifinish. I asked"we have problems with paint peeling and artex peeling following pva been applied, we know how sound the ceiling is by seeing how it (pva) soaks in or does not, we can also test it with a scraper, but if we use unifinish we will not be aware of any problem till it fails"

I blame the paint on this occassion, probably been put on undiluted in the beginning , the moisture from the plaster soaking in and down it all comes.Sorry that's my opinion here..
so do i need to dilute the paint that is made for 'new plaster'

B.G. are noncommittal, which is quite frustrating for a 'market leader'.
To be honest I've used the uni finish on 3 different jobs to date and all seems well for now, but I'll be holding off for a while until I get more feedback from the jobs............ Then I'll decide whether to continue using it or not :RpS_thumbup:

so do i need to dilute the paint that is made for 'new plaster'
To my knowledge, yes you do need to dilute it by at least 20/% so many jobs have this problem with peeling paint due to inexperienced painters and handymen doing the job, the"you can piss , you can paint culture is hurting us.."

B.G. are noncommittal, which is quite frustrating for a 'market leader'.
To be honest I've used the uni finish on 3 different jobs to date and all seems well for now, but I'll be holding off for a while until I get more feedback from the jobs............ Then I'll decide whether to continue using it or not :RpS_thumbup:
They have caveats re the unifinish which are non transparent..

To my knowledge, yes you do need to dilute it by at least 20/% so many jobs have this problem with peeling paint due to inexperienced painters and handymen doing the job, the"you can piss , you can paint culture is hurting us.."
nope you dont mate thats why its made for fresh plaster and ive never seen any probs with any paint that hasnt been watered down and the only reason i tell my customers to water it down is because if they dont it will take more than twice as much paint and twice as much money. now I dont know if any of you have seen any probs with unwater down paint but i havent

nope you dont mate thats why its made for fresh plaster and ive never seen any probs with any paint that hasnt been watered down and the only reason i tell my customers to water it down is because if they dont it will take more than twice as much paint and twice as much money. now I dont know if any of you have seen any probs with unwater down paint but i havent
Oh but you will at some stage, I have had to strip complete flats walls and ceilings of paint because of the failure to water down paint or at least have it sealed..

Google watering down paint for new plaster....

Last edited:

it only pulled a few little bits off paint off. i would have expected it to pull the lot off which would prove that the uni hadnt failed but the paint had..............it cost me £7.80

Status
Not open for further replies.