Uni finish what a load of rubbish

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianspreader

Went in to travis Perkins saw unifinish on offer 7.50 plus vat thought would give it a go.had a 20sqm ish painted artex ceiling to do I thought just in case I gave it a pva the day before and thought that would be fine.starte laying on just pulled like you wouldn't believe was like skimming a week old hardwall,3 coated it trying to chase it.in the end just flattened off pvaed again and 2 coats of multifinish a complete and utter nightmare defo won't be using it again

Dont do it guys make no sense whatsoever. Il tell u my theory on the whole thing! So bg bring Unifinish out doesn't do as well as they expected! Then all of a sudden guys all over the country are finding standard multi is playing up! There trying to fool us they have lost so much pushing uni and nobody wants to know so they have spiked multi to make us go to the darkside!! Tut tut bg your nothing but a groomer! In disguise!:cachetada:

bloke who works for us said his mate tried it and it all shelled off, i made sure i asked him if it was the first failed batch or this new and improved .............failed batch

[QU
bloke who works for us said his mate tried it and it all shelled off, i made sure i asked him if it was the first failed batch or this new and improved .............failed batch
Which was it then
="Jace, post: 856443, memb
Went in to travis Perkins saw unifinish on offer 7.50 plus vat thought would give it a go.had a 20sqm ish painted artex ceiling to do I thought just in case I gave it a pva the day before and thought that would be fine.starte laying on just pulled like you wouldn't believe was like skimming a week old hardwall,3 coated it trying to chase it.in the end just flattened off pvaed again and 2 coats of multifinish a complete and utter nightmare defo won't be using it again

er: 4136"]bloke who works for us said his mate tried it and it all shelled off, i made sure i asked him if it was the first failed batch or this new and improved .............failed batch[/QUOTE]
So whi

I can see a lot of people getting in a lot of problems with in and british gypsum put so many terms and conditions on the bag to cover themselves just fingers crossed it's sticks don't wanna put a 6th cost on the ceiling lol

I had no probs with it and I liked it .I used 20 odd bags of it a couple week back.I used it as the magic mix over heavy artex on a large flat , I had one or two walls sucked a little fast but I didn't chase them I let them go a bit flatten of and waited for them to go then topped all stuck well. I didn't have enough uni,so I used uni with bonding to lay coat then topped with multi it was spot on :bailando:

I bought a pallet full in september /october and used it on various backgrounds with no come backs as yet! I found it was not very good on high suction and fine on anything else but i still did not like how it finished. So i ended up first coating with it but second coating with multi.
I was hoping it would feel sticky and gloopy so as to feel more confident in the adhesion properties but it did not feel like this to me, compared to Durafinish which was sticky and gloopy.
In conclusion i would use unifinish if it was £7 a bag with fibres included on glossy or medium suction painted surfaces but not artex ceilings or high suction backgrounds.

yup the walls are fine :)

I have not heard of it shelling off on the new batch... just fast fast setting if there is any suction :-\

i have just had an artex nightmare with uni as well...... it was a large ceiling and i had put 3 coats of pva on it on 3 separate days, put 1st coat on in 15 mins and it had totally gone but luckily i had mixed up way to much so layed on another coat with the same gear..... soaked it with water whilst flattening it whilst the lab washed the gear and set up for the next mix.. flayed on a 3rd coat and it trowel like sh*te... really aint happy with the finish i got .... but there wasnt enough coving left to get another coat on plus my arm had gone by the end of it...

Proper killed my arm the uni finish ceiling.been reskimming over plas prime that was a nightmare aswell because the client wanted to paint it themselves to save money and hadn't sealed the the walls up when they needed to was pulling and crazing on certain walls I am now just uni bonding over the grit then skimming

Because I did the dining room ceiling Earlier in the week and pva'd it the night before and on the morning of skiming and it sucked like a chuffer ..... It was half the size of the ceiling I was describing above.... I was looking for any advantage I could get... The bag says for textured ceiling..... my arse. ... This will never sell in bulk as at some stage it will catch you out.... The bag says you still need to prep the wall if it's high suction... It you don't prep the wall how do you know the suction ??? No one can tell by look alone.. you can guess. ..

Because I did the dining room ceiling Earlier in the week and pva'd it the night before and on the morning of skiming and it sucked like a chuffer ..... It was half the size of the ceiling I was describing above.... I was looking for any advantage I could get... The bag says for textured ceiling..... my arse. ... This will never sell in bulk as at some stage it will catch you out.... The bag says you still need to prep the wall if it's high suction... It you don't prep the wall how do you know the suction ??? No one can tell by look alone.. you can guess. ..

Yeah I see what your saying ... its not a product id try as I use Multi day in and out and I wouldn't risk it for the sake of pva'ing a wall / ceiling .... I only ever Blue Grit Artex now - lovely to skim / dub out and leaves the suction spot on ... the only draw back is getting chance to prep it if the customer has a full room etc and your busy

does blue grit seal the artex pal ? i have used blue grit before but only on real shiny walls as i always overboard ceiling where possible... stopped using it as i found it awful to apply and even worse to skim over... i went onto using plasprime from sovereign which is a lot better to use and cover, but none of the products claim to seal the surface....... plasprime evens out the suction.

Status
Not open for further replies.