Tyrolene render finish - is this normal?

Members online

greebob

Hi everyone, just joined the forum as we have just had a gable end of the house stripped backed to the blockwork and a tyrolene render applied by a local builder.

To me as the customer the finish does not look correct but having never had a house rendered before with tyrolene I am hoping for a second opinion from someone familiar with the product, also where the builder returned to do some patching up around the log burner flue we seem to be left with what looks like a damp patch after rain, is this just because the patched material will dry slower as it was applied a week later or is it a problem

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give

Attachments

• DSCF0923.JPG
    DSCF0923.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 335
  • DSCF0925.JPG
    DSCF0925.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 318
Hi everyone, just joined the forum as we have just had a gable end of the house stripped backed to the blockwork and a tyrolene render applied by a local builder.

To me as the customer the finish does not look correct but having never had a house rendered before with tyrolene I am hoping for a second opinion from someone familiar with the product, also where the builder returned to do some patching up around the log burner flue we seem to be left with what looks like a damp patch after rain, is this just because the patched material will dry slower as it was applied a week later or is it a problem

Its quite tough to make tyrolene look bad, but full credit to the builder, he's excelled himself

It’s rough !!

I can’t comment, went to have my eyes tested the other week they said I’m ok but have noticed I just can’t see properly on these pictures

Thanks for your comments so far, as I suspected the finish shouldnt look that bad, does anyone have an idea about the second picture of what appears to be the damper patch we have after it rains, is this because they used a different batch of tyrolene for the patching up or could it be down to the fact that they didnt remove any downpipes or the flue and have just sort of feathered up to the old existing render that the flue sits on.

Thanks for your comments so far, as I suspected the finish shouldnt look that bad, does anyone have an idea about the second picture of what appears to be the damper patch we have after it rains, is this because they used a different batch of tyrolene for the patching up or could it be down to the fact that they didnt remove any downpipes or the flue and have just sort of feathered up to the old existing render that the flue sits on.
As you suspect it's because they haven't removed anything prior. You can see the old finish where the tyrolene stops. Water will be running down behind it.

Plus all the water that hits that flue will drop onto the bracket and fall to the house if that bracket is not angled away

Thanks for all your comments, have been in touch with the builder and he is coming back (when work diary allows) to correct the finish. Since I understandably now have some doubts about this builders abilities could anyone advise me of the correct way of getting this resolved so I can make sure he's using the correct method i.e. is it

1) they hack off all the poorly applied tyrolene which to be fair appears to be very very solidily attached to the wall and then restart from the blockwork again (worried this could damage the blocks), or

2) Smooth over the poor finish with another coat of normal render ? then tryolene again over the top of that, presumably first removing the flue this time.

Once again any comments would be appreciated