Tyrolean advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

cargo

Hi everyone.
I have some Tyrolean to do this coming week I try to avoid rendering as rule as I work alone and it's to much hassle. eg scaffold mixer getting a lift.
However this job had a lot of internal work to go with it which I have just completed "saved the rendering for the good weather.
I was wanting to know how/what is the best method for protecting the surrounding brickwork,windows and facsias from the over spray, the job is the top half of an extension so the lower half is finished brickwork.

Gaz

where is the job mate, use speedymask on the windows and soffits etc, low tack tape for woodwork, gaffer for brickwork, correx sheets tps and twill for the floor etc, masking up proper does cost a few quid but is worth it

Thanks for taking the time to reply, these are the type of jobs you drive past all the time but somehow never seem to see if they mask up and if so what they use.
The tyroloen just seems to apear next time you pass by.
The job is in Chorlton Manchester.In the past I have only ever used the usual hand held flicker but the biulder says he as a sprayer that attaches to a compressor.Would you by any chance have any experiance with this set up.

Gaz

I have a hopper gun that connects to a compressor and it will get a result but its only a minor step up from a box flicker. nothing like using a machine. I did a similar job and posted it in the "what machine do you use" section in the post PFT REVIEWS much better finish.

Tyrolean is a game of patience, keep the gun moving and dont try spraying a area in one go little bit at a time all over .
Another tip, try painting the render first with colour mix this will give you a bit of a head start.
And like plasterjfe says mask up well be it on your own head.

It can take as long to mask up as it takes to do the job. But once you have finished you pull away the masking and hey presto job done.

This is the worst time of year though to be doing tyrolean. You ideally need some background suction so I use a 6:1:1 sand and cement with lime. The trouble is the air is so damp that although the render could look dry it has absorbed a lot of moisture from the air so suction will be low. As said below you will need patience, let each pass dry. Rush it and will look wet and shiny with blobs that have drooped. This may take two days at this time of year. The product you need is Weber Cullamix unless you make your own up out of sand and cement.

Good luck with the taping up everything you want it to stick to needs to be dry and the annoying thing is if this takes two days you can bet today's masking up has peeled itself off by next day.

If the builder is talking about machine application with compressed air he may be talking about a roughcast finish rather than tyrolean. You can do it with tyrolean and a tyrolean gun. The material needs to be stiff. If you don't have a gun then a hire shop will hire you one. If it is machine applied roughcast then get a subby in who knows what he is doing. Good luck.

I like tyroleaning. When you mask everything up and it looks all messy then you unwrap it all like a present at the end and its all clean n tidy. Its like christmas! Get a couple of offcuts of ply to hold up at any external angles, we use a couple about 4ft x1ft.Like henry said if you're using colormix and if you've got enough mats, give it a base coat in the same colour as a head start. Spray each pass at a different angle to the wall so you get an even coverage. Keep the gun moving.Regularly mix the stuff in the bucket else the aggregate will sink to the bottom and use a plastic measuring jug to load the gun.

Thanks everyone, you all have gone the extra mile to reply in such depth.I am up to speed with all your comments.,it all makes perfect sense.
Bullder wants tryroleon allthough we are not sure what the the rest of the original house is coated in maybe roughcast but it looks to smooth for that "I think" but it as had many many coats of paint over the years currently dark green :-( so we have to try and get the best match possible.
I realise it is not the best time of year to be doing this and this close to Christmas but the scaffold as been on the build for about 6 months,if what the joiner on the job tells me so they are keen to get the thing down.
Unfortunatly sometimes in the real world there just is not enough time to allow things to dry as we would like.
I am sure you guys all have to deal with these scenario's.

Gaz

Hi, I plan to use a home made Tyrolean mix with a flicker gun to cover a block wall, with an idea to add colouring. Can anyone advise me about the type of sand I should use and type of colouring I could use? Do I need to water proof this also? Can I use latex/unibond to help it stick? How much? I can not use a ready mix because It is not available in the country I plan to use it and I would not pay the prices they ask anyway. Any tips would be most helpful as I have a lot of wall to cover. Many thanks, Lawrence. P.s Using it in a very hot country!

Status
Not open for further replies.