Two bags up on the shoulder...

and no 8x4 sheets p/board/no double glazing my first work vehicle was a hand cart im to old to remember my age
I had a deg like that.

Been in the family for generations. It was an heirloom.

f**k knows how old it was....very very old. Nobody knew.

received_303593613587523.jpeg

I don’t remember but that’s nothing new I have forgotten a lot off things, I think every time I remember something I forget three other things. I’m definitely with you on the shite today though, we used to get three sets a day once four if you stayed till half four, okay they were smaller sets but you got more done especially in winter, I did one wall for someone the other day with a bit of board on the ceiling I got away at half one, it’s f**k**g ridiculous
Yes you could actually get your tea breaks on time (10 and 1), with nothing more than a quick flick required after break before putting the next move on.

Jeez, my brain's going aswell, just looked up my CV - I started officially as a trainee site QS - 1974
Measuring labour only's who were making loads but my money was shite, didn't even pay NIC until my first payrise, and paid tax only on my 2nd year there.
I was working on sites before that, in the school hols that with my electrician uncle/firm.
T'other kids could get better jobs at the market and labouring on farms/sites because they could lift bigger weights than me. I struggled with a 56 lb bag of spuds, let alone the cwt sacks everything else came in.
During school term I was in my parents shop, sold little patching bags of all the different plasters including Siraphite and another one I forget for finishing.

@Mouldyoldspudgun @malc @hector do you remember when it used to say on each bag of finish which works it came from?
I can remember my old man saying to builders "and make sure the Sirapite comes from xxxxxxx". I can't remember which works he wanted it from, but my guess is that it's not the one that makes the current shite lol.

the only thing that i can remember is there was a Sirapite plaster that just came in a brown paper bag with just the word Sirapite on it. this was a very fast setting material which some times needed to be 'killed' by over mixing and adding extra lime and board finish.
the British gypsum Sirapite setting time was more r******d.

the only thing that i can remember is there was a Sirapite plaster that just came in a brown paper bag with just the word Sirapite on it. this was a very fast setting material which some times needed to be 'killed' by over mixing and adding extra lime and board finish.
the British gypsum Sirapite setting time was more r******d.
That's well before my time Malc, I'm seeing my old man tomorrow evening so I'll ask him.
The BG Sirapite was a very slow set, actually used to put a bit of Board Finish in it to speed it up. I remember it being trowelled up the following morning at times in the winter.

That's well before my time Malc, I'm seeing my old man tomorrow evening so I'll ask him.
The BG Sirapite was a very slow set, actually used to put a bit of Board Finish in it to speed it up. I remember it being trowelled up the following morning at times in the winter.
Didn’t have much of a shelf life from what I remember

Three moves a day and away for four o'clock was standard for us for years. And we didn't start until eight.
Yeah when I first started it was three sets a day aswell. Done for 4ish. I wonder if we’ll ever get to the bottom of what’s been going on with multi finish? Definitely contaminated with other recycled products I think, something to do with recycling so they reuse left over shite and throw it back into new products? And why did sirapite stop production? it sounds like more of a selection available back years ago. Now bg just sell whatever garbage they want and no one else to compete.

Yeah when I first started it was three sets a day aswell. Done for 4ish. I wonder if we’ll ever get to the bottom of what’s been going on with multi finish? Definitely contaminated with other recycled products I think, something to do with recycling so they reuse left over shite and throw it back into new products? And why did sirapite stop production? it sounds like more of a selection available back years ago. Now bg just sell whatever garbage they want and no one else to compete.
Sirapite was only for use on s&c as far as I remember, and that has died a death. I bet s&c is way more environmentally friendly than d&d or Hardwall and skim. So little waste generated as well.

I think they wanted something to cover everything so we ended up with multishite and shite board finish nowhere near the same as it was in the eighties and nineties