Troweling ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLIPPY

What way do you seasoned spreads trowel up ceilings?

We were having a discussion about this today while we were skimming a very big lounge ceiling 45ft by 30ft :eek:
2 spreads said they always trowel away from the light and across it and the other spread said it dont matter cause it wont be seen once painted , I sometimes trowel towards the light and sometimes away from it .
Does it matter ?

Urrrm... I just trowel the ceiling and around the light sort of thing!!! Think your thinking to much about it!!

i trowel from one long edge towards the other long edge and back down the other side...
if i do it the other way and trowel from one short edge to the other short edge my arms arent long enough? ???
if its a square room i always make sure i finish up near the door cos thats where the cup of tea usually appears...

Chris W said:
i trowel from one long edge towards the other long edge and back down the other side...
if i do it the other way and trowel from one short edge to the other short edge my arms arent long enough? ???
if its a square room i always make sure i finish up near the door cos thats where the cup of tea usually appears...

And by the time youve drunk the tea its time to do another trowel :D

i allways trowel away from the light u can see if there is any misses, but aslong as its flat anyway will do

richardbrown said:
slap it on and (french word) off

I agree, slap it on and f**k off. As long as it looks good when it's painted hwo gives a f**k how you do it. And that includes starting in the middle and working outwards in circle motions. Ain't that right rich? ;D

I was told to trowel up away from natural light ,but it don't really mean a lot these days because 9 /10 of new wooden joists are all over the place (not that we check it out first ;))and that's without mentioning old saggy laths ceilings that take a quick scrape & skim ,the only time you will notice a true flat ceiling is on mf or something that's been floated out first and you can tell on the trowel that its flat ;) oh and up lighting and silk paint ;D

on stilts with unbroken bands from the window wall back and then a short pull off back wall...works for mois :)

kebab king said:
I nearly always have a Halogen in the room anyway, that helps to make sure you have no misses.

Same here, its suprising what you miss in just half decent light.

Especially on window walls where the light from outside is right in your eyes.

i even position the 300watters same direction of natural light,, I always work facing natural light and work across it......aint always pos tho lets be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.