Trowel shape

Members online

Cornelius

i keep my trowels in a box and they are well looked after (except for the one I stood on and snapped) but after a while every single trowel, when I look down the blade it shows a little wobble and doesn't hold its original shape. I wouldn't mind if it was bending into a permashape style but it sometimes curves slightly the way I don't want it to, fair enough when your plastering I guess it straightens out with the pressure behind it, but it still bugs me. Does everyone's trowel do this?

Jab a scraper gently down the tang at the necessary point and it will push it back outwards slightly. If that makes any bloody sense. I know what I mean anyway :confused:

Good night!
IMG_7524.JPG

It's bloody annoying of course a trowel will wear in and shape but I don't want it going the wrong way

The Kirk gordiano method on YouTube yeah I saw that idea

That's the method I was taught to straighten trowels from the old timers when I started. I've also seen a little more aggressive method of putting a coin under both ends of the trowel and using a stick to put pressure in the middle to bow it jut a bit. That works too but isn't as exact. More of a way of giving an initial set to a new trowel. Hope that makes sense. If not I'll try to get something pictures of what I mean.

That's the method I was taught to straighten trowels from the old timers when I started. I've also seen a little more aggressive method of putting a coin under both ends of the trowel and using a stick to put pressure in the middle to bow it jut a bit. That works too but isn't as exact. More of a way of giving an initial set to a new trowel. Hope that makes sense. If not I'll try to get something pictures of what I mean.
I'll try that, like Scottie said banging it could result in more damage

Yeah I just tap a pointer in under the tang at necessary point, tends to fix it. Obviously don't go too far/tap too hard, or will go other way.

Or just leave it and use it as you only notice cos your looking for it...... just a thought..... though I don't really look after my trowels much

My 14 inch trowels always seem to shape funny down one side on last inch . Doesn't affect owt but got a 13 now as I,m sure it's down to not useing last inch . I,lol learn how to take a pic to show you

Or just leave it and use it as you only notice cos your looking for it...... just a thought..... though I don't really look after my trowels much
It shouldn't happen on a fairly new trowel though and because I know it isn't right it annoys me, no point breaking it in if it's going to look like a snake by the time it's ready for skimming